Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Emperor on 14 October, 2011, 03:09:13 PM
I do hope Cosh deliberately monkeyed around with his book shelves for comic effect, otherwise that could be used as evidence against him in court if he ever got arrested for a bit of murder or a touch of sex crimes.
Haw haw! I will admit to fooling around with the Case Files, but the novels were like that. In fact, it occurred to me afterwards that I should arrange those Dan Simmons ones thematically, with Rise of Endymion at the top and Fall of Hyperion at the bottom.

Quote from: Emperor on 14 October, 2011, 03:09:13 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 13 October, 2011, 10:53:13 PMI had a brief flirtation with stacking my comics vertically and it seems obvious to me that you would do this with number 1 at the bottom, as that's the first one you buy.
That is how I stack them in the pile to be processed, then they get files with the #1 at the front, which is, when seen from the side, another good example of how things maturally fall into a right to left ordering.
Ah. Well. I'm afraid you're wrong all over again there. When I get round to it, something like 2000AD which I know will eventually fill a box by itself, gets filed from the back to the front, just like Case Files on a shelf. Also how it would work vertically as it's just like rotating them 90 degrees anticlockwise. Other comics (you'll love this) get filed from either end of the same box - to keep series separate - until they meet in the middle and a new box is needed. Or an ebay offload.

There is no system for games or DVDs but you may be interested in how I handle compilation albums! If it's a single artist compilation (New Order - Singles, say) then it gets filed by artist. Where there is a strong enough connection to a particular label then that becomes the index value. This is the case with Trojan and the majority of techno. Finally, anything left over is filed alphabetically by title. I can tell you, agonised long and hard over where to put the old 4AD compilation, Lonely is an Eyesore.

Quote from: Fleetos on 17 October, 2011, 12:06:30 AM
Now, did the first 2 [Dante books] get released with the purple spines?

And why does it bug me to have them not match????? lol
No they did not. I think this was the one that originally started The Adventurer's spine-mania. There is a faction on here that longs for the day Rebellion finally reprint these in their own colours. I'm not in it.
We never really die.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 16 October, 2011, 09:42:37 PM
Ironically and idiotically, I forgot to tell my retailer not to order Lenny Zero or Low Life, so I ended up having to purchase both.  Neither match the line as we would like.  They're white spines with black/red text that matches the fonts on their respective covers.  I'll give them both pretty nice reviews on my Bookshelf blog - they certainly do collect some very good stories, other than the risible "Street Fighting Man" - but if you have Mega-City Undercover, I certainly wouldn't bother dipping again.

Ugg. I sort of have to get Low Life because it reprints stories not in Undercover. I guess I'll not double dip on Lenny Zero though.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Grant Goggans

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 October, 2011, 03:16:42 AM
Ugg. I sort of have to get Low Life because it reprints stories not in Undercover. I guess I'll not double dip on Lenny Zero though.

The hell it does!  In fact, it contains one fewer story than Mega-City Undercover, as "He's Making a List" is not in it.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 17 October, 2011, 08:24:50 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 October, 2011, 03:16:42 AM

The hell it does!  In fact, it contains one fewer story than Mega-City Undercover, as "He's Making a List" is not in it.
Wait. Rob Williams himself told me Low Life: Paranoia reprinted all the Low Life published up to that point. Now I'm just confused.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Grant Goggans

Williams is mistaken.  The Paranoia book contains only the stories that are already in Mega-City Undercover, less He's Making a List.  So it has stories you've already bought in both the prog and in M-CU, and the spine is wrong.  For new readers, it's almost essential - skipping He's Making a List is a shame - and I hope it sells by the truckload to people who buy all that trademark protection garbage that Williams is writing for Marvel, but nobody who owns M-CU needs this.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I currently have 5 Dredd books now, and when on my shelf, it is quite clear they don't really fit. They are all different stories, but if they went through the effort of having all spines similar (dredd's face and red lettering) they could have at least one it properly. The titles all start at different levels, and even the two Tour of Duty's Backlash and Mega-City Justice don't really seem to fit. I've also noticed that some the 2000ad logo has a red square behind it, and some don't.

Why all the little changes? I know it's not that important, but I like my collections to look neat and they just look a bit weird.

(Also the Henry flint collection ruins it a bit as the cover is white, which slightly goes onto the spine making it stand out.)

James Stacey

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 October, 2011, 04:20:38 PM
I've also noticed that some the 2000ad logo has a red square behind it, and some don't.
This was due to them changing the branding on the comic and then back again. You raise lots of good points, all of which make me cry and keep me up at night.  :'(

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 October, 2011, 04:20:38 PM
I know it's not that important, but I like my collections to look neat and they just look a bit weird.

WHAT! It's very important.

You might as well put a plain white spine on the shelves and write your own blurb down it than have this mess destroy the Feng Shui of the bookcase!

Proudhuff

Do you think Dredd has these problems with his Law books?
DDT did a job on me

COMMANDO FORCES

James Stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 October, 2011, 04:34:19 PM
Do you think Dredd has these problems with his Law books?

nice and neat

Proudhuff

aren't they binders?
DDT did a job on me

Roger Godpleton

I keep all my books in vertical piles. The smaller the surface area, the higher the book.

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie's trades are in boxes.

Problem solved.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

James Stacey