Main Menu

25th anniversary party

Started by falstaff, 08 January, 2002, 12:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falstaff

So, does anyone know? What's the gen on this party? When is it? How do you get a ticket? Can anyone out there help me?

Wake

Details haven't yet been finalised. Once we have something to tell, there'll be something on the front page.

Wake

Wake

Anemic_Newt

Yet more teases! As few of us who pst here have a life (we keep telling everyone this) do you think we might be able to go?? Will the newt have to come out of hibernation I wonder?!
Just please promise us.... No F**king Garage Music!

Thread Zero

No, Newt, I can assure you the party isn't in Tharg's garage.

scojo the dj

paulvonscott

Let me tell you all what I feel...

A burning need for a cornish pasty meal...

And guitars, acoustic and hand clapping too...

An all around thigh slapping folk dancing do...

All together now!

Diffle Diffl-i-o aduble-aye-oh..

I've got my funny hat and my sandles, let's folk!

Mk13

No Cornish garage folk implosion, I'm afraid - think more along the lines of techno-punk-metal sorta thing...

Wood

It was 1992. And 2000AD's birthday bash was called Panic in the Year Zero. I was 16, and I didn't have the money to go. And I so wanted to. They had S'Express playing. Ten years ago, that was quite cool. Now it's 'Dad House'.

It was when 2000AD was run by people with lives, and dress sense, and girlfriends, and stuff. When it was trying to appeal to the cooler, more intelligent people who read Deadline and Crisis...

Sad thing was that what they actually succeeded in doing was driving away the people who'd read 2000AD for ages, while failing to attract anybody new. Bummer.

Anyway... did anybody actually go to that?

paulvonscott

It's funny but when 2000AD suddenly went cool, it suddenly went a bit rubbish.  For the first time in my life, Tharg was becomming an embarresment (sorry Mighty One).  Another paradox was that the comic became less mature when it stopped being a kids comic.  

Good point Mk 13, I knew a lot of people who were insanely into 2000AD who wearily gave up, me included. Enough stayed to keep it going but Crisis and Deadline both bought the farm.  

Fine doing all this dance stuff back then, but most of the people who I knew read it (and I was part of the local 2000AD gibbering society at the time) were Heavy Metal fans.

paulvonscott

Wood, not Mk13.  Sorry.

Mk13

Well, according to the survey results, those of you that expressed any sort of musical preference were broadly into rock music, with as far as I recall U2 topping the charts, and generally a mix of rock, metal and nu metal making up the bulk of the rest of it.

Therefore it seems sensible for us to book contemporary rock bands for the Anniversary bash, so even those Squaxx into more classic rock should at least not mind the bands too much.

paulvonscott

That sounds good.  Break out the Ramstein!  Actually I'm moving down south soon hopeful if i can get a job, but I am an appalling old git (nearly thirty!) and the ministry of sound sounds a bit too cool for me.

I assume everyone understood I was joking about the folk music.  honest.  no really guys...

those sandals, mine?  I never saw them before.  PVS on the side?  must be a make of sandal.  Like Nike.

Wood

This depresses me unutterably.

I'm alone on a board full of metallers... AAAAGH! Metaller germs? Hairy smelly metallers...

Oh dear. I must get a grip on myself.

paulvonscott

Even when 2000AD went all groovy cool dance music, it always used to be metallers I knew that read it.

Anthrax's I am the Law will always be remembered fondly.

All together now!

"In the Cursed Earth where the Mutants Dwell...!

Wood

Too true, PVS...

I remember all the letters complaining about the editor's musical taste...