Main Menu

No Moore

Started by Quirkafleeg, 26 September, 2002, 05:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almighty mat

++Ha! No one has yet surmised that I am in fact Mark Millar!++

I'm still waiting for you to try and grow one of those funny little moustaches.

mat

paulvonscott

Petemask, I must have started it about three times.  Still can't read the bastard thing.  

On the other hand I found my copy of the killing joke, looked at the first few panels and had to sit down and read the whole thing (admittedly short).

It would be nice if Alan Moore had a go at truly breaking into everyday consciousness with graphic novels.

sigu

'Voice of the Fire' is one of my all-time favourite books. The infamous first chapter is worth persevering with, and the rest of the book gets easier as it goes on.

SiGhttp://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0575400552.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg">

almighty mat

Ha! I too saw an Alan Moore novel and went Wow, and I too fell off at the first chapter, despite having recently done modules on the history of English language and dialect in Uni and found it both easy and interesting.

That Alan's too damn clever for our own good!

mat

O Lucky Stevie!

i'm with sigu on this. 'voice of the fire' is brilliant. perhaps you could  first read stephen baxter's 'origin' (which uses similar technique for some of it's first-person narratives, albeit in a more accessible fashion) to put you in the mood for moore's opening chapter.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

GordonR

It's out of print now, so I wish I'd bought a copy when I had the opportunity years ago.

I believe it goes for ebay for fairly extortionate sums of money now.

almighty mat

I picked up my copy in one of those discount book stores (like The Works, but with a different name) a couple of days before last Christmas. It may be worth a quick scour of any of these places in your vicinity, you never know your luck!

mat

paulvonscott

I often find myself in all sorts of second hand book shops, charity shops and boot fairs, and am happy to look out for it.

Art

MOONSHINE

So why did Moore never continue the Ballad of Halo Jones, especially since hes been back in 2000AD in recent times writing pretty generic fantasy scripts?

The Amstor Computer

Uh, assuming you're not joking, you're mixing up Alan Moore with Steve Moore.

MOONSHINE

Oddboy

Seeing as he fell out with 2000AD a long time ago - effectively with a 'different' 2000AD seeing as the financial controllers & the editorial team have both changed - perhaps he could be coaxed back to the UK for 2K after his holiday...  (a change is as good as a break)Failing that - Rebellion: Give them the copyright licence to work on new Halo books to be published wherever Moore fancies.

Seeing as he & Gibson have already planned out much of the plot for future Halo books I think it might still work.

Meanwhile Amazon still haven't given me my Halo GN, delivery estimate has now changed to 15th October.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

I think Moores stated conditions for returning to 2000ad would be that they return rights for all their characters over to the original creators. This includes characters such as Dredd and Rogue Trooper.

I like to think of it as a more poetic way of saying "When hell freezes over".

Oddboy

Seems a bit overtly insane to me...
Does he have a similar boycot of DC & Marvel or is he just being a git?

But for Halo's sake, couldn't Rebellion give the old nutter the rights to future HJ books to be published elsewhere?  Bet he still wouldn't do it even then grrrr!  Good storyteller, but you still have to hate him sometimes.
Better set your phaser to stun.