Main Menu

Meg 400 - 400th Issue!

Started by Richard, 15 September, 2018, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I'm not sure I really had to write "400" twice, but I'm a slave to consistency.

I liked the Judge Dredd story, which is a really silly comedy one from Wagner and Flint. It has some great lines of dialogue and some crazy antics, which I enjoyed. As a massive continuity pedant, this story contradicts what we know of the royal family from Armitage, and I prefer Dave Stone's take on that, but as I liked this one so much I didn't mind. And it gives us the opportunity to devise theories of how to reconcile these two different histories with each other.

I'm saving Lawless, Blunt and Storm Warning for later as I don't want to finish both comics in one day. But I'll just mention that I skimmed over Phil Winslade's art and it looks fabulous.

Devlin Waugh by a new writer, Ales Kot, was okay, but may divide opinion. Not as good as last month's story, but okay.

The Torture Garden is off to a promising start. Absolutely superb art from Nick Percival, which is of course to be expected. David Hine is already introducing his own ideas to this strip, which carries in where the last story left off. I have high hopes for this series.

There's a decent Anderson one-off by Alan Grant. Not exactly an original plot, but not boring either.

There are interviews with each of the Megazine's five previous editors (but not the current one), which were interesting and a good way to commemorate this month's milestone. There are also interviews with Ian Gibson and Alan Hebden, but I'm saving those for later.

The floppy is some Judge Dredd stories, haven't read them yet. The theme is artists' first Dredd stories.

Overall I like what I've seen so far.

Proudhuff

Got mine but not had a chance to even skim it!
Loving the heft of it and the floppy... first shots? ...  Explain please!
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 September, 2018, 11:11:54 PM
... first shots? ...  Explain please!

As Richard says^, 'the theme is artists' first Dredd stories'.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Frank on 15 September, 2018, 11:21:23 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 September, 2018, 11:11:54 PM
... first shots? ...  Explain please!

As Richard says^, 'the theme is artists' first Dredd stories'.

acht, was looking to deep into that title... thanks Richard and Frank  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Great Megazine: Dredd excellent, Devlin and the giant glowing cock is a hoot, however I'm not sure what the previous editors pages add.
Lawless finally gets to the kickoff. No Dreddlines... not that Butt'man plays that game anymore.
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 September, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Great Megazine: Dredd excellent, Devlin and the giant glowing cock is a hoot, however I'm not sure what the previous editors pages add.
Lawless finally gets to the kickoff. No Dreddlines... not that Butt'man plays that game anymore.

Did I miss an announcement of retirement?

James Stacey

good interview with Ian Gibson. Hopefully its the start of a thawing in the relationship there. I'd still like to see him get something back in the prog or meg. Even a cover or one-shot

Tjm86

I think that he mentioned at Lawgiver that his hands weren't in great shape at present.  His signings were more his initials than full signature.  Of course this is a somewhat hazy recollection of a rather awestruck conversation so could be completely wrong.

Bolt-01

Really enjoyed the Meg this month, and just want to single out the Anderson strip. It's been a while since I've enjoyed an Alan Grant as much as this and it was a cracking companion bookend to the Wagner Dredd.

Also- Inaki Miranda drew the stomm out of the pages! Superb work.

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheridan on 17 September, 2018, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 September, 2018, 01:24:22 PM

Did I miss an announcement of retirement?

If Paisley's finest isn't talking about his TV carcrasheer he's ignoring The Beast and the Prog and the Meg...
DDT did a job on me

Geoff

Did nobody notice the Chris Weston cover...? Mmmn.  We must be getting spoilt if we're taking this sort of thing for granted..

I found the Wagner Dredd a bit odd to be honest, usually there's a role for old Dreddy in the story, even when it's mainly about some bizzare aspect of his world rather than him judging as usual.  Didn't really get my Dredd fix from this one.

Enjoying Mike Dowling immensely on Devlin, the stories are fun too.  I've never been a big Lawless fan (I know heresey  :o, but I'm really getting into it now, when it's coming to an end it seems...

Dark Judges aren't really my thing either but Percival's art really suits this down to the ground and I'm enjoying it. Storm Warning and Anderson were pretty good too.

I liked the editor slots and the Gibson interview, don't really get Blunt (artwork puts me off I think) but

All round a very enjoyable 400th episode, with a good theme for the foppy to boot! As Devlin would say, Good Show!

Freddychopper

400 issues! A thing to be proud of in the current comics climate. Well done, all Thargs past and present.

Not had a chance to digest all the contents yet- it's a hefty issue - but very much liking what I have read so far, but I do agree that the Dredd strip was a wee bit odd.

The editor interviews were interesting but did seem very brief. I'm sure there's a lot of juicy stuff there that ended up on the cutting room floor, so to speak. Gibson one was good. Come back please, Ian!

Devlin Waugh - not a story I'll leave lying around for the kids this month. Daddy, what's that big green lolipop the man is holding..? er...."go back and watch your cartoons!"

Jumped straight to the standout strip so far me which has to be the Dark Judges, Torture Garden. Love how it picks up straight away after Dominion, as I had a feeling there was much more to come with that story (and yes, I've ordered the book version, 2000ad!) and long may it continue. Glorious, spooky, gory detailed art from Nick Percival (so cinematic!) and David Hine looks like he's got some interesting things in store for Death and his gang. I'm guessing from that great preview art for next issue, that these damaged Dark Judges get a new, souped up look next month.

Got the other stuff to go through - Anderson looks quite nice and the floppy this month is great value. Nice to have an all Dredd one for a change.

(oh, very glad the cover price returns to normal next month but I do like that new cover paper - great Weston cover, by the way!)

Right! I need to go and catch a bus!!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Regarding that cover, and more specifically that strapline: "flowed", surely?

SBT

James Stacey

yes, unless the blood has wings :D