Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 June, 2018, 07:19:32 PM
you uncultered american swines did not just diss terrahawks  :P the last great gerry anderson puppet show with the goddamn creepiest villian who haunted my nightmares as a kid....well until killing time took zeldas place

I feel like we'd actually need more knowledge of Terrahawks to properly diss it! :D

For everyone's Rogue comments, I see the point, but I think Rogue is doing what it sets out to do, just sort of be action-y future war stories. It's certainly the most formulaic of our current thrills, but I think it's still a decent formula at this point.

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 June, 2018, 04:35:14 PM
Honestly, its now Sister Sledge, the Scan Sector Dancing Queen, Venus and now bubble girl as bad uns... it is worse than the casual comedy racism for me as a "hard to justify to modern eyes" flaw of those early progs.

I think this is a fair point and one worth looking at. It's interesting because on Dredd we've got a fair amount of female characters to counter balance the occasional female criminal (Hershey, Anderson, McGruder especially, she seems to show up every other story), but there's nothing like that in Rogue. Definitely something to keep an eye on!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

I'll defend GFD Rogue - it misses a lot of tricks, but it is also unfairly lambasted. Of all the strips I've shown my son Joe, he was very taken with Rogue Trooper, so even now it must be doing something right - Pat Mills would say it confirms his opinion regarding mainstream and "fan" tastes...

I agree that the chips distaste at icky girls is kind of fun, it is mainly the fact they are 100% right about the icky girls I roll my eyes at!

"Gone to see Space Wizard - IOU one child corpse" when you try to explain the story, it can seem kind of odd, or hyperbolic, or just plain hokey, but its the delivery - the scene where Martha Quest hugs her child back to death, the themes of guilt and sin and responsibility... with zombies before zombies were played out! 

And Malak might seema  little unambitious for an all powerful necromancer, but I think that's a strength - he has been literally hampered to bring his power and position down to something Alpha can interact with on a level that has a resonance with Alpha's character

Frank

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 26 June, 2018, 09:59:48 PM
I think Rogue is doing what it sets out to do, just sort of be action-y future war stories. It's certainly the most formulaic of our current thrills, but I think it's still a decent formula at this point.

The reputation of Gerry Finley-Day's Rogue Trooper has suffered because, when read in collected editions, the stories are directionless and bitty.

As weekly showcases for action art and hardware design, each episode was good fun. Go back and read any episode in isolation*; they're great! Just don't treat them as graphic novels.

* The way they were supposed to reach the reader. Rogue Trooper holds up better as a toilet book than any other strip - Gerry Finley-Day can have that for his tombstone, if he likes.

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 26 June, 2018, 10:33:10 PM
As weekly showcases for action art and hardware design, each episode was good fun. Go back and read any episode in isolation*; they're great! Just don't treat them as graphic novels.

Yes this is true when the strip started (as many of teh 70s and 80s strips) but when it was established their is many cases where we have a continues story-line. The purpose of Rogue always was to get the traitor.  Maybe it fizzled after the traitor was out of the picture. I still believe it works as a graphic novel for me even on the toilet
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 346-349 of 2000AD, covering December of 1983. This week Rogue slips time, Sláine fights a Shoggey Beast, a homunculus is in peril, and Dinos run amok in Mega City One!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1983. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1983 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1984 from both 2000AD and our show!

Also be sure to check out Fox on episode 70 of Mega City Book Club!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Andy B

It's getting difficult to make any comment on this thread other than "you're right - that stuff is all great!".

I sometimes wonder if I like 80s 2000ad (and Tom Baker Dr Who) so much because I was exactly the right age to experience them. But looking back like you guys are, it really was that good!

Thanks again for this hugely enjoyable podcast. So much to look forward to in 1984...

Fungus

I'm about 10 podcasts off the pace but getting there...
we've reached Skizz and the prog quality is fantastic (as we know).
Especially liked the various pronunciations of Birmingham, then the realisation that Skizz's Burgy-gam is undermining the effort anyway. Nice!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 350-353 of 2000AD, covering January of 1984. This week Dredd gets pied, Rogue gets covert, and DR and Quinch go straight!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Also, stay tuned later in the week for the Ant Wars collected episode, and check out Fox talking about it on this week's Mega City Book Club!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad and Fox, great stuff as usual. Sad to see Dredd at the bottom of the pile this week but I suppose it is a testament to the quality at that point.

There was a computer game of 'Strontium Dog - The Killing' about the same time the strip was running. It wasn't very good but it was the first 2000ad game. Could there have been some collusion between Wagner/Grant and the software company to come up with a plot that was so suited to being a game?

Strontium Dog, Dredd, Nemesis, Slaine and Rogue Trooper all got games in the 8 bit era. Rogue Trooper seems to be the strip that transfers best to gaming since it is fairly humourless and about a lone soldier in a war. The Rogue Trooper game that came out in the PS2 era and was recently re-done for the Switch is, I think, regarded as the best of all the 2000ad games.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 09 July, 2018, 07:25:21 PM
There was a computer game of 'Strontium Dog - The Killing' about the same time the strip was running. It wasn't very good but it was the first 2000ad game. Could there have been some collusion between Wagner/Grant and the software company to come up with a plot that was so suited to being a game?

Strontium Dog, Dredd, Nemesis, Slaine and Rogue Trooper all got games in the 8 bit era. Rogue Trooper seems to be the strip that transfers best to gaming since it is fairly humourless and about a lone soldier in a war. The Rogue Trooper game that came out in the PS2 era and was recently re-done for the Switch is, I think, regarded as the best of all the 2000ad games.

I had forgotten about this when we recorded, but it's definitely clear by the end of the year, when advertising for the two Strontium Dog games is in every prog! I really want to check these games out, at least watch a let's play or something, to experience these classic games! Though even if it's been done I still maintain that The Killing would make a great format for a modern Fortnite/PUBG style battle royale game :D

The UK based computer game site Rock Paper Shotgun routinely refers to the Rogue Trooper game as "The best 7 out of 10 game of all time." Which is a certain kind of dubious honor!

I'm just waiting for a Steam sale to pick up the re-released Dredd '95 game, which was a tie in for the movie!

SpaceSpinner2000

War declared on humanity! It's the thirteenth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections!  These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

Anyhow, I don't want to alarm you, the podcast listener, but there is a giant army of giant ants on their way! They'll eat us all! You don't believe me? Well that's fair I guess. OH NO YOU'VE BEEN EATEN BY A GIANT ANT! You can find this story of South American insect conflict at the 2000AD webstore, or wherever books are sold.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 09 July, 2018, 07:47:04 PM
I had forgotten about this when we recorded, but it's definitely clear by the end of the year, when advertising for the two Strontium Dog games is in every prog! I really want to check these games out, at least watch a let's play or something, to experience these classic games! Though even if it's been done I still maintain that The Killing would make a great format for a modern Fortnite/PUBG style battle royale game :D

Here you go.  Haven't actually watched the full half-hour clip as I'm just finishing my lunch break so just watched a couple of five second snatches, but prepare to be disappointed!

Dandontdare

Wow, that game really was craptastic!

Interesting in the latest ep you said the final splash page in Slaine was in colour - don't know if this was just a slip of the tongue, but it was definitely B&W in he original prog. Looking forward to revisiting Ant Wars after Fox's appearance on the Mega-City Book club.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 July, 2018, 01:43:05 PM
Wow, that game really was craptastic!

Interesting in the latest ep you said the final splash page in Slaine was in colour - don't know if this was just a slip of the tongue, but it was definitely B&W in he original prog. Looking forward to revisiting Ant Wars after Fox's appearance on the Mega-City Book club.

There were two episodes of Glenn Fabry Slaine around the time of Slaine the King where the last page was in colour - one was Glenn's wordless (almost) sequence, the other was after Slaine had become king.  The last page was on the back cover of the prog, so got colourified (the only instance I can remember where a comic page appears on the back cover and isn't coloured is a Cam Kennedy / Rogue Trooper story back in 1983).