Main Menu

Thread for mildly interesting things you've seen which don't merit their own

Started by I, Cosh, 08 December, 2013, 06:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Like it says. I saw this spinner rack outside a comic shop in the middle of Europe, thousands of miles away from Pat Mills!

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

TordelBack

M.I.K.

You can buy those '70s girls' comics postcards over here in sets of 100. Seen them available in The Works as well as from Amazon and various other places.

maryanddavid

M.I.K.

Egmont were supposed to be publishing a 'Best of Misty' book a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard anything more about it since then.

I, Cosh

This month's Wire has a lengthy article by Kek-W on some Argentinian guy I've never heard of.

in an interestingly coincidental way, the smallprint tagline on the cover (remember the heady days when Tharg had those) is "for different drummers."
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

This 2008 Rand Corporation study into the New York City Police Department's use of firearms finds that, despite officers having to score 78% or higher on the range to maintain their fitness for duty, in real life incidents their accuracy drops to just 30% of shots on target. That drops to a measly 18% of bullets fired hitting the something or someone the officer intended to shoot in situations where someone is actually returning fire.

You know that NRA line about the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun being a good guy with a gun? Only 18% of the time. probably much less if you're just some Chuck Bronson with a 9mm tucked into the waistband of your slacks, rather than a professional who has been trained to keep their cool under fire:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/MG717.html

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 July, 2014, 03:29:45 PM
I bought Viz from a tiny little magazine stall in Hong Kong.
This is exactly the kind of thing we should be celebrating!
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

JayzusB.Christ

A friend of mine, and one-time 2000ad fan, had two baby girls in the last two years.  After getting the ok from his Irish-speaking wife, he named them... wait for it... Sláine and Medb.

(Well, to be honest, it was the modern version of Medb; 'Meadhbh'.  Still though.  And Sláine is indeed a girl's name in case anyone hasn't had the opportunity to be bored by this fact before.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

How is Slaine pronounced properly? I've always said "Slain" for lack of any better idea.

Frank

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 31 July, 2014, 09:45:54 PM
How is Slaine pronounced properly? I've always said "Slain" for lack of any better idea.

Like Sonja, except with an L in-between the S and the A. Makes sense that it's a girl's name.