Main Menu

Ant-Man (2015)

Started by Goaty, 03 January, 2015, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

It get great reviews so that's possible for final film of Phase 2.

radiator

Love the billboard!

I saw the preview clip the other day (the bathtub scene) and I have to admit I was really impressed. It reminded me how neat the 'shrinking human' thing is as a concept, and how long it's been since it's been realised onscreen.

Jim_Campbell

Early reviews are really good, seeming to basically say: "You remember how there were all those mutterings that GotG was going to bomb...? Yeah. Pretty much the same thing."

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

This review ain't so good - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/08/ant-man-review-paul-rudd-michael-douglas

Although I think it'll be a bit better than its being sold there but my worry that you'd just sit there missing Edgar Wright seem to bear fruit there -

"Ant-Man is a cut-and-shut muddle, haunted by a ghost, produced by a high-end hot dog factory, by turns giddying and stupefying. Watching it is like channel-surfing between Hot Fuzz, a duff early 90s Michael Douglas drama and the very schlockiest bits of Interstellar."

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ant-man <-- the 7-day-before place on metacritic seems promising though!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 July, 2015, 06:13:01 PM
Although I think it'll be a bit better than its being sold there but my worry that you'd just sit there missing Edgar Wright seem to bear fruit there -

I'll be honest: I don't understand the veneration of Edgar Wright. He was attached to the movie; now he's not. Going in looking for the bits that are left from his version and lamenting that anything one doesn't like is evidence of his missing hand just seems like a surefire way to not enjoy what —I have very little doubt— will be a perfectly entertaining summer action/adventure movie.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Even if Edgar Wright had remained on-board Ant-Man would've come out the other end the way Marvel wanted it. As much as I like what he can do in terms of his style the additions that have been made to his and Joe Cornish's story sound just as inventive.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 July, 2015, 07:31:00 PM

I'll be honest: I don't understand the veneration of Edgar Wright. He was attached to the movie; now he's not. Going in looking for the bits that are left from his version and lamenting that anything one doesn't like is evidence of his missing hand just seems like a surefire way to not enjoy what —I have very little doubt— will be a perfectly entertaining summer action/adventure movie.

Cheers

Jim
Agreed. And I thought "Scott Pilgrim" was a bit of a dog's dinner.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah I'm changing my tone a bit now - After the legendary Kim Newman gives it thumbs up in Empire

I think (and its fair enough really) the Guardian reviewer was just getting massive-franchise-fatigue. They think it's slightly overwhelming now - wait til 2019 :S

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 July, 2015, 01:17:33 PM
Yeah I'm changing my tone a bit now - After the legendary Kim Newman gives it thumbs up in Empire

I think (and its fair enough really) the Guardian reviewer was just getting massive-franchise-fatigue. They think it's slightly overwhelming now - wait til 2019 :S
I find Kim Newman unbearable for some reason. Perhaps those talking head documentaries he kept appearing on for a few years soured me on him. But anyway, I'm also a bit franchise-fatigued, but this one does look quite good.

Professor Bear

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 July, 2015, 01:17:33 PM
I think (and its fair enough really) the Guardian reviewer was just getting massive-franchise-fatigue.

The focus on Wright's non-contribution does seem to make it pretty clear that the reviewer had their review written ahead of seeing the film.

Goosegash

Cheers

Jim

This video does a good job outlining why Wright is so good at what he does, and what makes his style distinct from almost every other mainstream comedy director. But it's also what makes him kind of an odd choice for massive franchise films, I suppose.

radiator

Quote from: Goosegash on 12 July, 2015, 04:05:19 PM

Cheers

Jim

This video does a good job outlining why Wright is so good at what he does, and what makes his style distinct from almost every other mainstream comedy director. But it's also what makes him kind of an odd choice for massive franchise films, I suppose.

I've seen that clip before. I don't know why, but there's something about the tone of that guy's videos that grinds my gears a little. Maybe cos all he's doing is stating the bleedin' obvious and presenting it as some kind of deep insight?

There's also the counter-argument to be made that certain people might find hyperkinetic or heavily stylised directorial styles like Wright's a little intrusive and distracting, and that there's nothing inherently inferior about largely-improvisational comedies and/or shooting them in a more naturalistic/rote way.

That's not in any way a criticism of Wright btw - I just find that guy's argument a bit odd.

JOE SOAP

Dunk!

Saw this today and it was well worth it.

The Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish original script is still obvious and they get a credit for overall story.

It's one of those films that makes you glad for CGI rather than overwhelming you with it.

Recommended, like folks weren't going anyway.

Dunk!

Ps. The 2 credit scenes are ok, not "worth the price of admission" as i read elsewhere.
"Trust we"

von Boom

Well that was way more fun than it had any right to be. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas were perfect together.

I rate this one much higher than the last few Marvel films. Especially the last Avengers film. I think I'll have to see it again in the cinema.