Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouwel

QuoteWork book: Stephen E. Ambrose - D-Day

Now, I used to like his books until I started to look at other works after seeing and reading 'Band Of Brothers'. From what I can gather he was very badly thought of both as a person, writer and historian. This isn't just limited to his cherry-picking of subject matter but also to out and out plagerism of other peoples works.

If you're looking for a good WW2 read I can reccommend 'The Great Escape' by Paul Brickhill or, for something more contemporary (Vietnam era), 'ChickenHawk' by Robert Mason.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

In my library the comic/GN section is in the young persons section which is possibly the best bit of the library as it is seperate from the main adult section.Also it has black leather sofas where you could sit and read all day if you liked.

The library here is a lovely bit of architecture as it is only a couple of yesars old or so but it has a pitifully small selection of books which seems to defeat the object of spending so much on a library building with hardly any books in it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: PeterWolf on 17 September, 2009, 10:49:21 PM

In my library the comic/GN section is in the young persons section which is possibly the best bit of the library as it is seperate from the main adult section.Also it has black leather sofas where you could sit and read all day if you liked.

The library here is a lovely bit of architecture as it is only a couple of yesars old or so but it has a pitifully small selection of books which seems to defeat the object of spending so much on a library building with hardly any books in it.

For a moment there I thought you meant your own home libary.I think you mean the public libary. With black leather couchs, very comfy.

I've always wanted one of those  antique personal libary, reading room and study combined with comfy arm chairs, leather couchs, reading lamps, and large coffee table in the middle. Mostly affliated with well to do people.

Though, I'm quite happy with what I have at the moment.. My bed of sorts, which can be acouch and with reach of my bookshelf filled with Case files, Judge Dredd, Nemsis the Warlock, Robusters, Ace Trucking, and Strontium Dog.

Right now I pulled out the first Judge Dredd Case File and have started re-reaading it.

I had read half way through this one I first brought it and reshelved it when I started reading something else.

Completeing "Judge.Dredd vs Judge Death" has rekindled my interest in anything to do with MC - One.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 17 September, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
There are some interesting themes raised throughout. I say 'raised' as opposed to 'tumesced' as Moore just dangles them in front of his audience and then doesn't bring them to any sort of climax.

Here, I fixed that for you, Your Lordship
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: steven lenfant terrible on 18 September, 2009, 03:42:53 AM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 17 September, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
There are some interesting themes raised throughout. I say 'raised' as opposed to 'tumesced' as Moore just dangles them in front of his audience and then doesn't bring them to any sort of climax.

Here, I fixed that for you, Your Lordship

Ha! Cheers Steven!

Marbles

Finished reading Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' the other day. Totally blown away. What an incredible book. Read it before the film (featuring Viggo/Aragorn) comes out next month & ruins it.
Now reading the non-fiction 'Bloody Victory' a new take on the battle of the Somme in 1916. Pat Mills would not approve.

On the GN front reading Adrain Tomine's 'Summer Blonde' which is also superb.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Kerrin

Just read "Impaler" #4, with art by board local Matt Timson. Bloody good, geddit, bloody good, huh? Great atmospheric painty art from Matt and it's a cracking story. The panel Matt has used for his current avatar is even better in context.

And I'm about half way through "Transition" by Iain Banks. A return to form after the rather, in my opinion, lacklustre "Steep Approach...". I can see why it's being sold as an Iain M Banks in the States.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Kerrin on 19 September, 2009, 05:26:02 PM
And I'm about half way through "Transition" by Iain Banks. A return to form after the rather, in my opinion, lacklustre "Steep Approach...". I can see why it's being sold as an Iain M Banks in the States.

A pox on you Banksy! Looks like another purchase for Stevie...
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

It's good news to be sure.  'Garbadale' annoyed me because it was a nice setup that never went anywhere, an odd cross between 'Crow Road', 'The Business' and 'Player of Games' that should have been fun but lacked [spoiler]any kind of conclusion[/spoiler].  I appreciate that this may have been the point, but it didn't stop me being let down.  

To be honest I've never really forgiven Banks for endlessly writing about games I want to play, but can't because they don't bloody exist.

ThryllSeekyr

Doing Online Survey's , inbeteent pages of "Judge Dred Caes Files NUmber One and Slaine the Exile.

I just finished "Slaine the Defiler, but I skipped a few chapters in the midddle.

Maybe thats just being sympathetic to the comic strip as I have collected it.

Even if "Defiler" finish's right where "Horned God" should start if Steven Saville was going to write another Slaine novel.

There's none of the dialge where Slaine is saying stuff like.....

IT WASN'T FOR
A WOMANS LIPS
I TOOk THIS TASK....

and...

BY
JOINING
FORCES
WITH THE
OTHER FREE
TRIBES

ENOUGH OF THESE ARGUMENTS..
OUR LAWS WISLEY PREVENT ME
TURNING INTO SOME POWER MAD DICTATOR WHO GOES ON...
AND ON... AND ON.

followed by...

ONCE THE
POWER OF THESE
FOUR MOST HOLY TREASURES ARE
COMBINED, NOTHING
CAN STOP US. WE WILL DESTROY THE DEMONS OF THE DEEP
AND TIR NAN OG
WILL FINALLY
BE FREE.

That might have lead on to a imagined "Horned God/Spoils of Annyn" inspired third Slaine Novel.

No, I'm not expecting this, but just alittle curious as to how it mighthave gone.

Kerrin

Finished "Transition", loved it. If you're a fan of Banks, it's a good one.

Got, "The Boys" vol2 TPB and one of Neal Asher's latest "Orbus" today, looking forward to reading both. Asher does write a rollicking SF romp, there are always plenty of drones, cyborgs, big guns and nasty aliens to liven things up. Top entertainment, not what you'd call life changing but great fun.

SmallBlueThing

'Let The Right One In'- the novel upon which the recent Swedish blockbuster was based. Went into this quite sniffy and expected to be jumping up and down on it by page 100, shouting "Die! Die! Damned pretentious load of arse!". Instead, I found myself utterly gripped, and am now 300 pages into it and completely, unapologetically, in love with all the characters- and am finding it quite emotinal when bad things happen to them.

Basically, twelve year old boy with issues, falls for his mysterious twelve year old neighbour- who just happens to be a 200 year old vampire-like creature who seems to command absolute sensual mastery over anyone she meets. Woven around this are various other characters and their stories, who become more interwoven as we go along.

Haven't seen the movie- and possibly won't, as I'm enjoying this too much to maybe accept that it wasn't written entirely for me. In all likelihood probably will though, as I've fallen for the whole thing.

If I had a criticism, it's that maybe there are too many characters, maybe with too-similar names and it's become a little trying to keep up with it all. But really, it's no criticism at all, as each one is a pleasure to read.

Two hundred pages left to go and I'm mourning its passing already.

SBT

Richmond Clements

QuoteFinished "Transition", loved it. If you're a fan of Banks, it's a good one.

I've just started it- so this is good to know!

House of Usher

I've recently read a pretty little French comic book called The Professor's Daughter, by Joann Sfar and Emmanual Guibert. An Egyptologist's daughter and a 3000-year-old mummy run off together and almost have adventures. It's utterly charming, delicately painted, and written and plotted with a very light touch.
STRIKE !!!

Odd_Bloke

I read the first of the Blackest Night: Batman's the other day, and really enjoyed it.  Think I'm going to have to check out more of Blackest Night (though I might have to wait for the trades).