Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 29 June, 2010, 12:50:30 PM
Still hammering my way through CUJO by Stephen King and thoroughly enjoying it. If this is the kind of writing that alcoholism breeds, I need to get myself a drink :)

Yeah- that's what I thought too!
I'm not sure if he says it in On Writing, but he also says he cannot remember writing Cujo... now that's just not fair.

Anyway- Reading Hardcore Troubadour, a biography of Steve Earle. It's hair raising stuff.

Tiplodocus

Just finished Tony parsons MAN AND WIFE. That was hard work. Like Nick Hornby but without character, obsession or laughs.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

House of Usher

A Boots Booklovers Library copy of a 1958 memoir of the 1920s by one Beverley Nichols, called The Sweet and Twenties. It's very scrappy - intentionally scrap-booky - flitting from one mane-check to another and not terribly well written, but a mine of information and opinion on life after the Great War. He knew Noel Coward, don'tcher know.
STRIKE !!!

PsychoGoatee

Can never get enough of Savage Dragon, Invincible, Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season Eight, and Conan The Cimmerian.

And of course, 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine.

Plus manga: Blade of the Immortal, Gunsmith Cats, and Bastard!!

Kerrin

I, Cosh

Almost finished The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Volume 2. More short stories by Ursula Le Guin which get better and better. Vaster than Empires and More Slow has been the best so far, but they all have something to give even when it's just a particularly intense passage. I also like her acerbic little intros to each story and I find the idea of her being published in Playboy quite astounding. I've always heard that it used to be a magazine that featured a lot of good writing, but I've never really been able to believe it.

On a related note, I've just spent an hour reading every post Tordelback's ever made concerning "le Guin." There's a few.
We never really die.

Kerrin

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 June, 2010, 11:55:24 PM
Almost finished The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Volume 2.

There's a volume 2? Class. Not long finished the first one, which it has to be said was about the finest collection of short stories I've ever read.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Kerrin on 30 June, 2010, 07:42:35 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 29 June, 2010, 11:55:24 PM
Almost finished The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Volume 2.
There's a volume 2? Class. Not long finished the first one, which it has to be said was about the finest collection of short stories I've ever read.
There was, but if you're copy was published in the last twenty years it probably includes both the original volumes.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 June, 2010, 11:39:17 AM
There was, but if you're copy was published in the last twenty years it probably includes both the original volumes.

S'right.

Juts finished Jack McDevitt's Seeker, one of his very best.  I actually cheered out loud (in public) at the final revelation.  Go humanity!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 29 June, 2010, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 29 June, 2010, 12:50:30 PM
Still hammering my way through CUJO by Stephen King and thoroughly enjoying it. If this is the kind of writing that alcoholism breeds, I need to get myself a drink :)

Yeah- that's what I thought too!
I'm not sure if he says it in On Writing, but he also says he cannot remember writing Cujo... now that's just not fair.

Yep, that's correct. He can't remember writing Cujo. Which annoyed him, as I recall. He likes that book (unlike Rose Madder or Insomnia which he describes as 'try hard')

The thing about Cujo is that it's riddled with adverbs, which he speaks ill off in On Writing. Good to see how he had to hone the craft like the rest of us, evolving his style with each book he wrote. Still, it's odd that it's his earlier work I always hark back to (Carrie is one of my all-time fav reads) as opposed to some of his recent, more literary output.

Kerrin

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 June, 2010, 11:39:17 AMThere was, but if you're copy was published in the last twenty years it probably includes both the original volumes.

Having read "Vaster than Empires and More Slow" (brilliant story, I always new there was something strange going on with vegetables), I should have realised that. I shall go and stand in the corner.

Something Fishy

Currently a collection called "The Monster Book of Horror Comics".

Just ordered the "Stainless Steel Rat Collection".  Been meaning to read them for years.

Aaron A Aardvark

Khrushchev: The Man and His Era by William Taubman

The Emile Heskey of tyrants, interesting stuff.

Colin YNWA

What he was just a big sad bear?

Aaron A Aardvark

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 July, 2010, 02:39:13 PM
What he was just a big sad bear?

Basically yes. Just hopelessly out of his depth and the harder he tried, the worse he got, until he nearly blew up the world. If it wasn't for all the death warrants I'd feel sorry for him.

(And I bet Cappello still picks him, dumb-ass.)