Main Menu

2000AD Submissions

Started by kingsyn, 24 August, 2008, 09:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingsyn

How should the submissions be sent? Folded up in a normal little envelope or in one of those big ones instead?

The Legendary Shark

I always send mine unfolded in an A4 envelope along with a short covering letter, a brief synopsis and a self-addressed, stamped A4 envelope. I don't clip or staple any of the pages together but send them loose. Matt has got a lot of stuff to get through, I assume, so the less unfolding, unclipping etc he has to do, the better.

There is a Yahoo Group set up by would-be script droids which is full of interesting snippets. If you're interested, you can find it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scriptdroids/

Hope this helps.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: "Cthulouis"Is it necessary or advisable to send a copy of the script you have worked from with art submissions?

I have to say that I'm not sure on this. Personally, I'd say that yes, it might be a good idea to enclose at least part of a script you've illustrated to show the editor how you've interpreted it. This is just a guess, though.

Maybe you'd have more luck with art-type questions if you joined the Yahoo Art Droids Group, which you can find here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artdroids/

Hope that helps a bit.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

kingsyn

Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"I always send mine unfolded in an A4 envelope along with a short covering letter, a brief synopsis and a self-addressed, stamped A4 envelope. I don't clip or staple any of the pages together but send them loose. Matt has got a lot of stuff to get through, I assume, so the less unfolding, unclipping etc he has to do, the better.

There is a Yahoo Group set up by would-be script droids which is full of interesting snippets. If you're interested, you can find it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scriptdroids/

Hope this helps.

So you sent a self-addressed A4 envelope in the A4 envelope you sent your submission in?
(Just making sure!)

oh, and thanks for the replys, you've been very helpful!!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: "kingsyn"So you sent a self-addressed A4 envelope in the A4 envelope you sent your submission in?
(Just making sure!)

Well, yes. (Folded, of course, so it fits.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Applemask

Quote from: "kingsyn"How long does it take to recieve a reply, if they like what you sent?
That I wouldn't know...so far. But my replies from Cyber-Matt usually came along after about a week, with cover letters explaining what I did right and what I should have done righter.

lborl

So... should we begin our cover letters "Dear Matt Smith", or "Dear Jenni-A"?  Or address them to both with a "/"?

Because it's generally considered ignorant to put "Dear Submissions Editor", isn't it?

manicart

Hi-

I'm an aspiring artist who is interested in improving his work. A while ago I seem to remember that 2000AD made sample scripts available to download for artists who were interested in trying their hand. Possibly I was just imagining this but I've been looking all over the website and I can't seem to find any reference to such a thing. Is there anywhere I can go to download sample scripts to practise my skills on? Alternatively are there any writers out there who would like to have some of their script illustrated by someone? I'm not so much concerned with trying to get freelance work with 2000AD (highly unlikely, even under more favourable economic conditions) and more interested in improving my skills.

Check out my Deviantart page if you're interested:

http://manicart1.deviantart.com/

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Kev Levell

BARNEY has the scripts that were available. Thanks to Wake!

Pete Wells

Just wanted to say Kevlev, I was looking at your blog t'other day really like your work. I'd be more than happy to see that in my prog.

Bolt-01

Well Pete, that comment made me take a look at Kev's blog, and I think the artwork is top notch. Small press ahoy!

Old Tankie

Manicart - I don't think you necessarily need to have a script, just send in 4 or 5 pages of artwork, making sure that your art tells a story over those pages.  Send in relevant characters, i.e. don't send Spider Man artwork to Tharg, send Dredd artwork.  Go to Comic Conventions with your portfolio; pester the editors; don't give up.

You said in your post that approaching 2000AD you'd be unlikely to get any response, well, one thing's for sure, if you don't try you'll never know.  Go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!  You don't even have to go the small press route.  If you've got the cheek, perseverance, bottle, and, of course, some skill, you'll be surprised what can happen.

Oh! nearly forgot, the thing that budding artists tend to forget are deadlines.  It's a completely different ballgame knocking out some beautiful art in your spare time when you can take as long as you like than it is meeting deadlines for the editors.  You have to be disciplined and sometimes you have to forgo perfection to meet those same deadlines.  In your submissions it may be a good idea to inform the editors how long it takes you to produce a page of work, i.e a page of pencils, a page of pencils & inks, a page of pencils, inks & colours.  And it's very important not to "fib" over this last point, you'll soon get found out!!!

Hope this may help.

Old Tankie

P.S.  Oh! and develop a thick skin!!!!

The Legendary Shark

Well, I'm a wannabe writer, I'd be willing to let you practice on one of my "Future Shocks" 5 page scripts if you like.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]