Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 15 October, 2009, 09:06:31 AM
Oh, I love Propaganda! Great fun. There's my driving music for next week sorted. Today I will be mostly listening to Depeche Mode. Construction Time Again on the way there, Songs of Faith and Devotion on the way back.

Anyway, procession of minor impediments...

Yesterday I worked 20 hours straight through, 07.00 to 03.00, and today I started work at 08.30 and likely won't finish until 19.00; so that's 10 and a half hours. Pay-wise it works out about £9.34 an hour. The trouble is, I can't increase my earnings by working longer hours. Staying up all night to get it done just reduces the hourly rate. The financial incentives to do a good job are not great to nonexistent: it's the pride I take in my work that stops me doing a half-arsed job.

But it's only a minor impediment. Life's pretty good generally, and my mood hasn't been so up in a long while.

9/10  ;D

A Secret Wish an astonishingly good album.

Someone nicked my large onion that was part of the ingredients for tonights dinner.

GRrrrr......

I went into the sausage shop today and someone else got the last sausage roll and i growled at them .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 14 October, 2009, 08:32:32 PM
Zarjazzer,

You're in Harrow?  The borough, nay, the town of my birth.  I'm in Stanmore personally.  Ah, the youngest and BEST Borough of London I think.....

I work in harrow today we ran up the hill as one of my chums is off on a trek up Kilimanjaro. Harrow hill don't quite compare but it's a start. and had a nice pint at The Castle. Very posh. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

COMMANDO FORCES

This just happened at the Forces house at about 17:15

The family had just sat down for tea (toad in the hole) and there was a knock at the door. I got up and went to answer, there was an old bloke there with one of those hand held gizmo's.

"Hello, I'm here to read the gas and electric".
"I do all that online mate," I replied.
"Well I'm here to read it anyway," he countered.
"I do it online and therefore I don't see the need for you to go down my cellar anymore to read those meters."
"So you are refusing entry?" he replied.
"Yes mate, I am, and you can also put down on that thing that you interrupted my evening meal with my family and that if EON send another bod round to ask to read my meters I'll switch to another user, even if it's more expensive, and NEVER come back. Did you manage to get all that mate? Off you go then," and then I closed the door.

I then sat back down with the family and the wife asked who was that, to which I replied "A TWAT!" I did tell her who it was straight after though.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 October, 2009, 06:07:45 PM
one of my chums is off on a trek up Kilimanjaro.

Are there any people left in the country who haven't done this ;)

TordelBack

Quote"I do all that online mate," I replied.

I don't get it, CF. These days I submit my leccy readings online too, but they still need to check it every now and again, to make sure I'm not telling porkies.  Please explain!

COMMANDO FORCES

My worst one was when my standing order went from £60 a month for Gas & Electricity to £90ish (can't quite remember the exact figure). I rang them up and asked why and they said that they had projected that I would be using this amount in the coming year.
I told them that they can bloody well put it back to what it was because I use as little of each as is possible (the wife will vouch for this).
We argued on the phone about how much I use and I said, look back through my records and tell me, do I look as though I'm suddenly going to use half as much again, No, thought not. Put it back to £60 then.
They said that I may end up owing them at the end of the year and I said "I doubt it."
They replied by saying that if I owe them money I'd have to pay it all in a one'r. Let's just do that then and see what happens.
In the end they owed me money.

I am one of those people who will sit in a room with the windows open in mid winter in a pair iof shorts and not feel the cold. By the way I do let the wife have the heating on, in fact we put that back on yesterday.
I believe we should all save money by not wasting energy so that we can buy more Dredd items ;D

Zarjazzer

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2009, 06:17:54 PM

it's for chari- dee! Great Ormond Street hospital.His local hospital told him his son would die and they shouldn't bother doing anything. Fortunately a visiting doc from Great Ormond proposed some treatment and it worked. Him and another colleague with a similiar story are going up next June. i suppose you could just hold a raffle... :), seriously tho,  good for them.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mike Gloady

I work in harrow today we ran up the hill as one of my chums is off on a trek up Kilimanjaro. Harrow hill don't quite compare but it's a start. and had a nice pint at The Castle. Very posh. :)
The Castle is my favourite pub that nobody's ever heard of.  Even for a (mostly) lifelong resident of this, the fairest of Boroughs, it seems to go unnoticed by many round here which is sort of a shame.  Although it does make finding a seat a hell of a lot easier. 

Quiet night out in Harrow - Castle.  Loud, fun, raucous night out - Trinity (with top notch bands and DJs upstairs too).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

I have to go to the bloody shop again because i forgot butter.I am already fed up with the idea of cooking Macaroni Cheese tonight but i dont have a choice because there is nothing else to eat.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 October, 2009, 06:26:33 PM
Quote"I do all that online mate," I replied.
I don't get it, CF. These days I submit my leccy readings online too, but they still need to check it every now and again, to make sure I'm not telling porkies.  Please explain!
Yep. And with the gas meter they have a legal duty to check it for safety every year or two (vagueness due to length of time since I had to know this and NBAL) so you'll never find a company who never call to check.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

How do they check it with a torch. As every other time I've let them in I've stood right next to them so they can't steal any Dredd stuff as I know that's what the buggers are looking at!
All they have ever done is shine the torch on the numbers, write them onto their gizmo (whilst saying the numbers aloud) and then move onto the other meter and repeat. What else are they doing, our meter is less than 5 years old and I can smell gas so what are they looking for. I bet it's just to see if you are wired up to the street lights (on the electric side) but I have no idea on the gas side, apart from said leaks!

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 October, 2009, 05:28:01 PM
Someone nicked my large onion that was part of the ingredients for tonights dinner.

It's crime central where you live, Peter! Like something out of The Wire or... Hill Street Blues.  ;)

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2009, 06:17:54 PM

I will never, ever, ever in my whole lifetime do that or anything like it. No thanks. I would rather read a book. But not a boring one. I may go on another 3-day walk from my front door to somewhere else though. So I do have a spirit of adventure of sorts, as long as there are pubs and convenience stores every 10 miles or so.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 16 October, 2009, 12:07:44 AM

It's crime central where you live, Peter! Like something out of The Wire or... Hill Street Blues.  ;)

It wasnt worth crying over it anyway.

Dandontdare

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2009, 06:44:09 PM
I don't see the need for you to go down my cellar anymore to read those meters.....

....I told them that they can bloody well put it back to what it was because I use as little of each as is possible (the wife will vouch for this).

What a lovely world it would be if all services and utilities worked on this basis - "What? Income tax - no, mate I don't owe any. Ask my mum" or "That was only about five gallons I put in, honest, my mate was watching me"  ;D

Only kidding - but this is why I'll drop everything to let them actually physically read the damn thing, otherwise they just make up numbers and then add a bit for luck. The problem is getting them to do this - once a year is about par for the course, the rest are guesstimations.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 16 October, 2009, 12:20:13 AM
Quote from: House of Usher on 16 October, 2009, 12:07:44 AM

It wasnt worth crying over it anyway.

Someone might have cried over it tonight...it is an onion after all.