Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I got the complete A Bit of Fry and Laurie for Christmas, and disc 4 (of 5) wouldn't play at all on any device. I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. Exactly the same problem. Defective batch. I may give it a third go, or just ask for a refund.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

I was making my sarnies for work earlier and Sam came out to help me, how kind I thought. He helped get all the ingredients out of the fridge, some breaded ham, some grated cheese and the marge.
The problem was that he ate so much of the ham whilst I was spreading the marge that I only had enough ham for one sarnie, so I am having marmite in the other ::)

wild-seven

Quote from: House of Usher on 28 January, 2010, 06:21:43 PM
I got the complete A Bit of Fry and Laurie for Christmas, and disc 4 (of 5) wouldn't play at all on any device. I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. Exactly the same problem. Defective batch. I may give it a third go, or just ask for a refund.

I had the exact same problem with my Fry & Laurie box set, I would have sent it back but then the disc played perfectly in my other, slightly newer dvd player - infuriating doesn't come close
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

SmallBlueThing

I used to have multiple problems with DVDs. My last player, despite happily playing absolutely anything I'd ever bought from around the world, whatever region, however old, absolutely refused to play anything that was released by Momentum Pictures.

Which was a pisser, as I'd just bought Terminator 2, Evil Dead 2, Prince of Darkness and They Live. All on the Momentum label.

I then had a lengthy correspondance with some guy at Momentum, trying to get him to explain exactly WHY his company was releasing DVDs that couldn't be played on a mid-range player, which was a top-seller from a major high-street chain store. His arrogance was at first amusing, then drove me mad. My last message to him, before I just gave up and bought a new player, consisted of the helpful advice to purchase said player for his testing department, and bloody use it.

SBT

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 29 January, 2010, 12:45:52 AM
I had a shave and now I look about 11.
Don't worry too much. It'll grow back twice as fast.
We never really die.

Rog69

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 January, 2010, 01:13:59 AM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 29 January, 2010, 12:45:52 AM
I had a shave and now I look about 11.
Don't worry too much. It'll grow back twice as fast.

It don't half itch down there when it does though.

House of Usher

I made a mushroom risotto that would have been fantastic, except I forgot to put an Oxo cube in it. That would have made it perfect.

:|
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Banners

Oyster cards.

Don't insist people who don't live in London buy them instead of Travelcards, assume we know how to use the damn things - and then laugh at us when the barriers fail to open.

M@

House of Usher

I nearly had a row with a neighbour this morning. More to the point, she nearly reversed into my car.

::)

We both went out to defrost our windscreens at the same time. After she finished hers she sat at the wheel for ages with the front door of her house wide open. I presumed she must be going back in, or else her husband or son or whatever (she looks somewhat older than him) must have been about to come outside and get in the car with her. Anyway, she sat there faffing about and didn't seem to be going anywhere (in the end her husband or son or whatever came out of the house with a bicycle and shut the door behind him; he wasn't going in the car with her after all). She only switched her engine on after I'd started mine up and started turning my car around.

Her car was facing out of the street, so all she had to do was swing out and pull forward. My car was facing into the street, so I had to execute a 3-point turn to face the right way to get out. I swung my car around left and pulled across the street at a right angle, into the space behind her, to reverse back to my side of the road again. As soon as I've drawn up level with the back of her car, still going forward, she starts reversing! I couldn't have anticipated that, because she's got an empty road right in front of her, and forward is the only way she can get out of our street.

I can't do anything at all to stop her hitting me; it's all down to her. I can't go forward because then I'll present a bigger target. I can't go backward because by the time I've selected reverse gear and put my foot on the accelerator she'll have hit me. So I just put my hand on the horn and leant on it. No reaction - she continued reversing toward me. When someone sounds a loud and persistent warning you do not just blithely carry on, but she did. So I took my hand off the horn and slammed down on it again. This time she stopped. Panic over. Collision, needless damage and row averted.

I reversed back over to my side of the street, turned my car around to face out, and went over and waved at her and spoke in through her window. "I'm so glad you saw me. That was very close," I said, good naturedly.

"I thought you were going to stop." She replied, making no sense. It wasn't me that needed to stop; I had stopped. It was her car that had been moving toward a collision.

STRIKE !!!

Van Dom

I have FIVE biros on my desk and not one of the buggers will write. There is loads of ink in all of them right up to the top. I have been doing that thing where you vigorously roll them between your hands to get the ink flowing but its not working. Ive been scribbling like a maniac over blank sheets of paper for ten minutes with them all and THEY WONT WRITE!!!

Whats up with that? Asshole pens!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Quote from: Van Dom on 02 February, 2010, 10:36:41 AM
I have FIVE biros on my desk and not one of the buggers will write.

This is what happens when they effectively cancel the space programme.

Bolt-01

When artists who commit to a strip suddenly turn into flakes and you end up having to wait over 18 months for an episode and then they drop you right in it by telling you they can no longer be sure they can find time!

GAH!