Main Menu

Heyooo

Started by SpongeJosh, 22 August, 2010, 08:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Welcome. Now get your hair cut. We won't have any of that in the ranks.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SpongeJosh

In answer to Emperor's question:

What made me try the case files was that the Marvel stuff I was reading just felt predictable and some what slow. The other reason for trying the case files was that 2000ad was a British comic (in which I thought all British comics just consisted of The Beano & The Dandy) which I didn't know and I do like Sci-Fi & Cyberpunk genres of books and movies. So I think 2000ad had to be the right comic for me.

In answer to Van Dom's question:

Nope, my friends read Marvel or DC. I will try to turn them to the AD side of life. Sorry no females, my female friends are English students or drunk so...we'll leave it at that.

In answer to spaceghost's question:

I do like ABC warriors, currently reading The Volgan War on the digital comics via PSP. I did like the Shakara story arc from some progs about 2-3 months ago (maybe even longer, can't remember). I've also got some old Dredd Megz from 94-95 which I picked up from a second hand place somewhere in Shropshire, which had a one-off story called "Cold Justice" about a Judge called Wynter who patrols the Arctic, I really enjoyed the story and the thought of the post-apocalyptic Arctic sounds fun!  Shame there haven't been anymore stories about Judge Wynter but never mind.

Robo-hunter catches my eye, any good anyone? Any others you want to convince me to read?

My hairs already been cut but its still past the shoulders I'm afraid!

Hope everyone liked Q&A with SpongeJosh. Anymore things, anyone wants to clear up?

Emperor

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 23 August, 2010, 10:08:23 PM
In answer to Emperor's question:

What made me try the case files was that the Marvel stuff I was reading just felt predictable and some what slow. The other reason for trying the case files was that 2000ad was a British comic (in which I thought all British comics just consisted of The Beano & The Dandy) which I didn't know and I do like Sci-Fi & Cyberpunk genres of books and movies. So I think 2000ad had to be the right comic for me.

Thanks for that.

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 23 August, 2010, 10:08:23 PMRobo-hunter catches my eye, any good anyone? Any others you want to convince me to read?

Yep the Robo-Hunter books are good, the early ones are classics.

On the question of what else to read, I will direct my learned friend to my previous answers:

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,29663.msg537399.html#msg537399
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,29653.msg536877.html#msg536877

In summary, there are some great new series worth catching up on, as well as a solid set of phonebooks collecting classic older thrills which stand the test of time. I envy you a future paved with reading these stories for the first time.

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 23 August, 2010, 10:08:23 PMHope everyone liked Q&A with SpongeJosh. Anymore things, anyone wants to clear up?

Are you actually a sponge or just very absorbent?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SpongeJosh

Very absorbent!

After checking out one of the links Rouge Trooper! Yes I think that could be next but thank you for the suggestions!

Ta'

Dandontdare

Welcome.

Are your pants amusingly shaped in any way?

SpongeJosh

I wish they were, it would be a break from the norm!

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: vzzbux on 23 August, 2010, 09:50:51 PM
Welcome. Now get your hair cut. We won't have any of that in the ranks.

Don't believe it Josh, don't believe it! :lol:

Welcome aboard. I'd like to recommend Button Man, always gotta throw that out there for John Wagner fans.

SpongeJosh

Thanks

So wats Button man about, without giving to much away lol?

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Noisybast

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 23 August, 2010, 10:08:23 PM
Sorry no females, my female friends are English students or drunk so...we'll leave it at that.

We could use a few drunk female English students around here.

Anyway - welcome. Make yourself at home.
No - not *that* much at home. Just, I dunno, grab a chair or something. Have a biscuit. Jeez...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

SpongeJosh

Well Button man sounds pretty cool so will probs get a copy of a TPB, I take it there is one?

I'll ask the drunk female english students if they would like to join.

radiator

There are four Button Man trades - starting with volume 1, The Killing Game. One of 2000ad's finest ever series, in my opinion - book four was pretty weak, though.

I would say avoid Robo-Hunter - it's very much a lighter, more comedic type of strip and is very dated. I recently bought the first Droid Files volume and to be honest I never got round to finishing it because I found it quite a chore to read.

As you said you're into Sci-fi/Cyberpunk stuff, I'd recommend; Kingdom: The Promised Land, Shakara: The Assassin, Mega-City Undercover Volume 1, B.A.D. Company: Goodbye Krool World, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Nikolai Dante: The Romanov Dynasty and some of the more recent Judge Dredd volumes like Mandroid, The Pit, Tour of Duty and Total War as these have a heavier, grittier more sci-fi feel than the earlier stuff you've been reading in the Case Files.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 27 August, 2010, 03:50:23 PM
B.A.D. Company

The British Association of Dermatologists?

SpongeJosh

Quote from: radiator on 27 August, 2010, 03:50:23 PM
There are four Button Man trades - starting with volume 1, The Killing Game. One of 2000ad's finest ever series, in my opinion - book four was pretty weak, though.

I would say avoid Robo-Hunter - it's very much a lighter, more comedic type of strip and is very dated. I recently bought the first Droid Files volume and to be honest I never got round to finishing it because I found it quite a chore to read.

As you said you're into Sci-fi/Cyberpunk stuff, I'd recommend; Kingdom: The Promised Land, Shakara: The Assassin, Mega-City Undercover Volume 1, B.A.D. Company: Goodbye Krool World, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Nikolai Dante: The Romanov Dynasty and some of the more recent Judge Dredd volumes like Mandroid, The Pit, Tour of Duty and Total War as these have a heavier, grittier more sci-fi feel than the earlier stuff you've been reading in the Case Files.

Button man: The Killing game, right I know where to start now lol.

I've read some Shakara in a 2000ad prog 16xx (can't remember) and found it quite enjoyable to read, I'm currently reading Tour of Duty through digital comics on the PSP. Could do with getting Total war because I've read America so would like to see what they come up with next.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 27 August, 2010, 03:20:13 PM
I'll ask the drunk female english students if they would like to join.

Whoah! Alright! :thumbsup: