Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Hawkmumbler

Old Tankie

No offence, Mate, but that all looks disgusting!  Give me a good old English Murg Tikka Massala any day!!

Frank

Quote from: Old Tankie on 03 October, 2013, 05:12:12 PM
No offence, Mate, but that all looks disgusting!  Give me a good old English Murg Tikka Massala any day!!

Chicken Tikka is just another of the many inventions Scotland gave to the world, Tankie. Like Buttonman says, he's basically dining in the US equivalent of a Little Chef, so an all-day breakfast would be a more fair comparison.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 03 October, 2013, 05:33:23 PMLike Buttonman says, he's basically dining in the US equivalent of a Little Chef, so an all-day breakfast would be a more fair comparison.

Good natured slaw-and-ribbing aside, there is a lot to be said for BM's approach.  You get a much better idea of what people of an area really eat if you eat where they eat on a regular basis, not to mention an exposure to an unaffected display of local culture.  A lot more genuine a cultural experience than picking the top restaurant recommendation out of the Michelin Guide, considerations of affordability aside.  Even the supposedly globalised homogeneity of motorway service places, hotel buffets and local iterations of Mickey D's can highlight interesting differences. 

Buttonman

Excellent - food based debate has been engaged! The food may look disgusting but a lot of these Mom & Pop places serve the working man and to serve a radish carved into a swan would be a waste of time. We generally just check the menus (and price!) and see if it's busy. I've found it difficult to find a bad meal in America as people aren't slow in letting you know.

This was a independent eaterie called 'Joe & Aggies' in the small town of Holbrook on Route 66. They certainly embrace their heritage with a big photo friendly mural outside as well as a statue of a dinosaur which attacked me in the car park!

The Tex-Mex influence was strong once again and I had their breakfast burrito which was tasty but as dense as it looks. The place also has a guest book and small gift shop even though it's only a 20 seat diner.

Buttonman

I'm not a great fan of fast food but I do like the convenience and the fact that you don't have to tip anyone.

This is me in Taco Bell eating their Dorito taco. This is a zesty and tangy taco shell filled with some quite nancy chilli. In this box, which was less than $5, I also had a soft taco and a burrito that proved Billy Connolly's line that Mexican food is all the same but the different types are all just folded differently. This was OK to fill a spot but I wouldn't hurry back.

This outlet in Gallup NM was good in that it shared it's counter with a Long John Silvers so that the wife could have a fish sandwich while I went to taco Town.

Trout

My boss is American and loves Canada, except for the fact she can't get Diet Mountain Dew. If you take requests, BM, will you drink some and review it please?

Thanks!

:)

Buttonman

Chances of uncovering a stash in Paisley are slim but I'll do my best!

Trout

Bah! I didn't realise you were home.

Next time you go on holiday, warn us in good time and we will give you a list of things to put in your mouth. Sausages with mayonnaise on one end. Stuff like that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Buttonman on 03 October, 2013, 11:56:45 PM...the wife could have a fish sandwich while I went to taco Town...

Getting like Penthouse Forum in here.

I, Cosh

Mountain tastes like water which has gone a bit mouldy.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2013, 07:44:19 AM
Quote from: Buttonman on 03 October, 2013, 11:56:45 PM...the wife could have a fish sandwich while I went to taco Town...

reader's voice - CHORTLE

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: sauchie on 04 October, 2013, 06:03:20 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2013, 07:44:19 AM

reader's voice - CHORTLE

Smutty innuendo.......Hmmmm................. :lol:

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890