Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 October, 2013, 10:26:09 AM
Fruit Loops sold in the UK have 1/3 less sugar than the American version, as the original recipe would not qualify as a 'cereal' under both our regulations and the wider EU ones.

Just thought that was interesting and worth knowing why the ones over here aren't so tasty.

I fucking knew it! Was so excited to see them on sale in Tesco, but they were so bland, tasted more like Cheerios! Anyone else a bit fed up with this kind of thing? I swear crisps as a whole are nowhere near as tasty as they used to be because of all these rules and regulations.

Simon Beigh

A few shops round my way are selling imported American good, including Froot Loops I think. They definitely have Lucky Stars. I have a suspicion that Kelloggs are selling Pop Tarts in my local supermarket because of the amount they have been exporting to Blighty from America! I saw Marshmallow Fluff the other day too!

Link Prime

Quote from: SimeonB on 10 October, 2013, 11:39:58 AM
A few shops round my way are selling imported American good, including Froot Loops I think.

Those shops are generally a sickening rip-off.

"10 quid for a box of stomach churning Yank cereal Guvnor?"

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2013, 10:59:47 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 October, 2013, 10:26:09 AM
Fruit Loops sold in the UK have 1/3 less sugar than the American version, as the original recipe would not qualify as a 'cereal' under both our regulations and the wider EU ones.

Just thought that was interesting and worth knowing why the ones over here aren't so tasty.

I fucking knew it! Was so excited to see them on sale in Tesco, but they were so bland, tasted more like Cheerios! Anyone else a bit fed up with this kind of thing? I swear crisps as a whole are nowhere near as tasty as they used to be because of all these rules and regulations.

Meh doesn't bother me so much. What the yanks get to sell as 'food' is astounding. Lobbying powers ACTIVATE

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 October, 2013, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: SimeonB on 10 October, 2013, 11:39:58 AM
A few shops round my way are selling imported American good, including Froot Loops I think.

Those shops are generally a sickening rip-off.

"10 quid for a box of stomach churning Yank cereal Guvnor?"

True. I shall probably give Froot Loops a go while I'm out there. Just for scientific research purposes of course... ;)

Frank

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 October, 2013, 04:49:38 PM
Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2013, 10:59:47 AM
they were so bland, tasted more like Cheerios! Anyone else a bit fed up with this kind of thing? I swear crisps as a whole are nowhere near as tasty as they used to be because of all these rules and regulations.

Meh doesn't bother me so much. What the yanks get to sell as 'food' is astounding. Lobbying powers ACTIVATE

The land of the free and the home of coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetese

Buttonman

Thanks for the heads up Guys - would have hated for my happy Froot Loop memories to be tarnished by an inferior British product. They'll be taking the Choc out of Count Chocula next!

Grazing is a big part of any trip - you can justify industrial quantities of food if you space it between a few bars.

First up some cracking potato skins at a bar called 'The Office' in Durango. The idea is you can call your wife and say 'I'm still in the office Dear' while the barflies chortle. This was quite a fancy place and I made the mistake of asking for the bacon bits from the menu as my prefered toppings - in fact all the toppings listed appeared in these over-stuffed tasty chaps.

Next up was the worst food of the trip and the only one I didn't finish off. Still in Durango the waitress catches my accent and says 'You'll love the fried pickles' - racist! What we got was a $7 pile of batter with some shreds of dill pickle within. It was really greasy and tasteless although the dip was OK. I gave up after half! The thumb up was only to confirm I hadn't had a heart attack (yet).

To finish off we went back to Home Slice Pizza as I had to try their Gyros. To us this is a kebab and they had the rotating meat on a stick and everything. They don't do a hot sauce but the meat was succulent and tasty and I could have eaten two but alas the 5,000 calorie threshold had already been passed.

COMMANDO FORCES

This is stunning work on behalf of anyone thinking of venturing to this area of the US. By the way, only when you have finished posting this trips work, will I let Caz gaze upon the thread to really enjoy the fruits of your work!

Buttonman

Bloody hell! I've still got days to go!

The trip from Durando to Boulder, Colorado was about 350 miles so we packed a lunch to eat on the way. This deli bought roll of turkey and mayo was great especially when added to the crunch of Kettle chips which were saltier than those from home. A vintage edition beer added to the park life fun.

Buttonman

Boulder, Colorado now and the only Indian meal of the trip. Indian food can be a bit strange in that the interpretation of the dishes can vary widely. We started off with pakora and here you can see we got both vegetable and chicken. These came with a green minty dip and a red spicy one. Perfectly acceptable they were without being that memorable. All was eaten.

Next up I had the lamb saag with boiled rice and this was great. Nice chuncks of fall apart meat in a thick and tasty sauce. In the foreground is Irene's tandoori chicken which was OK but lacked any sign or being near a charcoal oven. The pink naan bread was filled with coconut and raisons and was a tasty treat indeed.

We were too full for pudding but they brought us some cold rice pudding as a palate cleanser. Guess I should have given a bigger tip!

This was second most expensive dinner we had but only the sixth best. Good effort Boulder Indian restaurant!

SuperSurfer

Very entertaining but as a card carrying fully fledged endomorph who is constantly fighting the battle of the bulge I find this all terrifying!

Theblazeuk

Just one of the breakfasts would see me through for a day and I'm hardly a figure of moderation. My hat is off to you sir

Sideshow Bob

The man must have hollow legs right enough !!.......... :D
Loving all this stuff....
Yes, legendary are the tales of Buttonman ...Bon Viveur....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Hawkmumbler

Buttonman. He eats it so you don't have to.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 October, 2013, 03:28:27 PM
Buttonman. He eats it so you don't have to.

Will we put that on his headstone then?