Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

I've never experienced the food mountain meals in the US I was looking forward to, though I've only been to New York and Washington DC. I found New York surprisingly European and food portions were on the normal or small side.

I was in the US last year. I must've had a dodgy meal – probably at the swanky boutique type hotel we were staying at. Poor Bloomingdale's in NYC bore the brunt of it.

Frank

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 11 October, 2013, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 October, 2013, 03:28:27 PM
Buttonman. He eats it so you don't have to.

Will we put that on his headstone then?

Maybe in a personal ad, or on a business card.

I've never had rice pudding as a digestif before, but god only knows what kind of toll the gruelling journey from the sub-continent to Colorado took on the minds of Boulder's only Indian restaurant owners.

Buttonman

Breakfast in Boulder - another quality Quality Inn.

This place had an automated pancake machine - it was like something out of Robo-Hunter. You simply pressed a button and two hot pancakes rolled out in 90 seconds. People we agog - I just ate them with some tasty sausage.

The end is now in sight - this is Denver airport as we await our flight back to Chicago. We felt so many fried offerings may be taking a toll so we went healthy and this is me with a meatball panini. Alas our plan failed as every lunch came with a free massive cookie that I simply had to eat - it's in the envelope to my left. At least I had water instead of beer!

Proudhuff

just think, no more of this for another year at least...
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Going to New York in December Tom!

The Doctor Alt 8

I'll give you a shopping list!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buttonman

Back in Chicago and in Ann Sather's for breakfast. This place was mobbed at 10am on a Monday and we had to wait 10 minutes for a table. It was worth the wait. The food was amazing. I ordered the breakfast burrito and although expensive at $10.95 I thought it was reasonable, given we were in the city centre. 'Oh you get two sides with that' says the waitress - I went for the fruit salad and the cinnamon roll. The Cinnamon roll is pictured below - it was in fact two massive rolls covered in icing. I shamefully report that I ate the whole thing - before my breakfast arrived.

After a moment's respite the actual breakfast appeared. This was a monster with eggs and chorizo and a nice gravy. The modest fruit salad filled the tiny gap all the carbs left. A feast!

Hawkmumbler

That actualy sounds really nice.

Frank

Look at the size of that cinnamon roll! I remain unconvinced that the word burrito belongs on the breakfast menu though, or that a meal eaten at 10am should be described as breakfast. Gentrified terms such as chorizo aside, that burro sounds a lot like the all day breakfast roll which the snack van round the corner from my work offers to discerning brickies and van drivers (£3.00).

Theblazeuk

Not so gentrified or out of place if you're spanish*, ey?

Buttonman

In a Chicago bar called 'Bearz' and on game day too. They put bells and whistle on the table to celebrate a Bear's touchdown but I was too occupied with their home fried natchos which came with three dips. We managed to eat the lot and then, as we had dips left, the waiter filled them up!

I have to report we then had their excellent soft tacos which had a variety of fillings. They were so good...I.<sob>...forgot to take a photo. I apologise - abnormal service will be resumed soon.

Proudhuff

Did they give you that cocktail 'cause you're a Limey?
DDT did a job on me

The Doctor Alt 8

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 October, 2013, 10:46:12 AM
Did they give you that cocktail 'cause you're a Limey?

They tried but as you can see the lime was flicked from the glass but is gamely hanging on.

QuoteNext Buttonman to take on THIS GUY...

I know him! Went to a few of his choices but never for the eating challenges - quality not quantity is our byword!

Late breakfast after a lie in at Einstein Brother Bagels which is like a nice version of Subway only with bagels. I went for their jalapeno bagel with egg and sausage. It was lovely as was the bottomless coffee and the massive cookie cake that I kindly shared with the wife.

CrazyFoxMachine

That looks.... so edible. And it's not just the soft-focus romantic lens you've got going on there. I'd eat that.