Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torque

Can't beat a nice Ezquerra page.

Link Prime

"Just a sweet Transistor"....this is a painted Kev Walker panel (clipped from a partially painted page I believe), postcard size.
Really nice though!

Link Prime

War of the Marshalls update.

This is one of the images used from a Tyranny Rex text story (from a special, not a Yearbook).
I really think Paul Marshall has a great flair for design work.

I'm looking to buy the original art for the logo he designed for the original run of 'Thargs Terror Tales' by the way, if anyone out there has it.

Link Prime

Great TR piece from the same text story...

Link Prime

Final TR piece from the same text story, and genuinely one of my favorite pieces.
Just frickin beautiful...

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 April, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Final TR piece from the same text story, and genuinely one of my favorite pieces.
Just frickin beautiful...

Great stuff, I was looking at this story a couple of weeks ago and admiring the art! This is a great piece you have picked up, definitely my favourite Tyranny Rex picture!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 April, 2013, 10:46:52 AM
"Just a sweet Transistor"....this is a painted Kev Walker panel (clipped from a partially painted page I believe), postcard size.
Really nice though!

How interesting - I wonder why this page was never completed. I always got the feeling Hellbringer had been shortened  . ..
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Not mine, but this caught my eye over on CAF

Seems Mr Gibson is up for a bit of commission work.

Dr Feeley Good

Colin YNWA

Okay so I know I'm going to have to get to my own answer in this, but I thought I'd ask the question and see how others think. Bare with me if you will.

Wake's post yesterday about Skreemer art being available sent to up to the attic to dig out my well read (and in one case signed) copies of the comic. I absolutely love it. I had genuinely been doing a search for some that very morning along with other things, while planning my next eBay fund raising sales to try to work out a target amount.

So anyway having an open field I decided to get my request for a piece in straight away, to give myself the best chance of getting the best piece and there hangs my dilemma. Unlike the Red Seas piece I reserved there's no such thing as the definitive Skreemer page for me there's so much going on in the story. Normally I don't go for a big splashy piece I go for a bit of story, or moments in that story that matter to me, or even a piece that has some representation of the elements of the story I like.

In this case I just can't find that piece (on a side note, funny how the mind plays tricks on you. Before getting the books out I had a few pages in mind quite clearly. It turned out they were composites of different pages, put together in my head to make the perfect page!). So I then turned to thinking should just go for a nice big splash or semi splash of Veto (for those that know the comics) as he dominates the thing so much... then I got stuck as it was well past my bedtime and I needed to sleep on it... so all that needless waffle leaves me with the question.

What do people here go for. A bit of story, or a great single image of a character or event?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 April, 2013, 06:39:28 AM

What do people here go for. A bit of story, or a great single image of a character or event?

I would say that no collector could answer you straight on this one Colin!

There are so many factors to consider it can wreck your head a bit, but for me it comes down to the following:

- Nostalgia (hey, you're talkin to someone who bought a G1 Soundwave Transformer on EBay last night)
- The artist (each to their own on this)
- The 'X-Factor' (sometimes a page just has that certain something, and if you consider it cool then go for it!)

hippynumber1

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 April, 2013, 07:34:58 AM

I would say that no collector could answer you straight on this one Colin!

There are so many factors to consider it can wreck your head a bit, but for me it comes down to the following:

- Nostalgia (hey, you're talkin to someone who bought a G1 Soundwave Transformer on EBay last night)
- The artist (each to their own on this)
- The 'X-Factor' (sometimes a page just has that certain something, and if you consider it cool then go for it!)

This pretty much sums it up for me too! I've been thinking on how to answer this question for about 30 minutes but, ultimately, it boils down to 'it depends'! Sometimes it's a story page, sometimes a splash or cover, sometimes a memorable panel.  I have pages for all of these reasons and more...

Greg M.

Tough question, Colin – the main deciding issues for me are often 'what's available and what I can afford', but I sense you're really asking about more intangible factors.

Thinking about it, I often like pages or stories showcasing characters with a wild and distinctive design – often this translates to baddies, monsters or weird aliens, but one of 2000AD's virtues has always been the fact that even the goodies look like baddies! Part of my love for Bad Company, for instance, is that even the most minor of characters have a real visual hook to 'em. So, when buying Medivac 318 pages from Dale, I picked out those that gave you a good view of the alien Jenarit: likewise, with John Cooper's 'Storm Force' stuff from Battle, I wanted anything with Crab-Spider in it.

Sometimes it is simply the artist – I've two complete Dredd tales by Paul Marshall (excuse me as I launch a quick 'War of the Marshalls' salvo at Link Prime!) neither of which has massive significance to me as a story, but which both showcase Marshall's classic era art well. Sometimes it's also the era – I am fondest of the run of progs from the late 400s through to around 700, so a lot of what I own comes from that period.

Aside from that, it's sometimes the moments  – some of these are moments that struck a chord with me (a lot of my Bad Company stuff), sometimes they struck a chord with me and they're very significant in the history of the series (Judge Dredd resigns in 'Tale of the Dead Man'.) I am lucky enough to own the original art for my favourite page in all of comics – Protoid chopping De Racine's head off in 'Bad Company II' – and for me, everything in that page comes together to create a perfect storm of thrillpower. Cracking dialogue, culmination of an important story thread, and two brilliantly-designed weird characters locked in mortal combat. It gets no better.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 12 April, 2013, 08:50:37 AM

Thinking about it, I often like pages or stories showcasing characters with a wild and distinctive design – often this translates to baddies, monsters or weird aliens, but one of 2000AD's virtues has always been the fact that even the goodies look like baddies!

Arh now you see this is why I posed the question, one which I knew would be almost unanswerable, but one that once answered might spark a thoughtl or feeling in me that helped me get closer to the decision I was struggling with and good old Mr M. has hit on it for me.

See normally I go for moments, or elements of a story. So the Red Seas one I've picked has two Ray Harryhausen monsters fighting, a giant metal warrior and a giant squid, Jack, an important need (and colleague) leaping from a gash in said metal warrior, so we have high action. Its also set at sea, which while so much of Red Seas isn't, any page I was going to own had to be, to underscore its pirate setting. There in one page is Red Seas perfectly encapsulated.

I was never going to get that in a single Skreemer page. There are about 4 moments I've pulled out. All juggling for my affections. Typically my favourite not necessarily a greatly appealing page aside from 3 panels. Then I read Greg's comment and it clicks.

Its a Brett Ewins' page. What does Brett Ewins do better than most. Why create brilliant, monstrous men. Veto is one such man. Most of the pages where Veto is drawn large and monstrous he's wearing this big fur coat and wide brimmed hat, which I think distracts from what makes him such a wonderful design (though its does work in the context of the story as it emphasizes the success he has found). And of course he must be stood at on the edge of that ledge, waiting and tempting and contemplating breaking free of his fate.

So what do I go for. Well this time the design and the monster, in his perfect environment to sum up the main theme of the story. If not a moment that drives the theme(s) forward.

I think I have my answer... which had probably gone now, so I'll be back to fighting over the different moments...

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Link Prime

Do I remember correctly that Wake was selling the Skreemer pages 100 quid each Colin? You gotta bite the bullet and get two!

Anyway, I've never owned either a piece of Slaine art, nor anything by Clint Langley despite having a deep manly love for both of them.
And agreeing with Greg's comment regarding availability & price also being a factor, I couldn't pass up this 'Lord of Misrule' page for 60 smackarooines...