Main Menu

2000AD iPad app - will you be making the Megazine available through it too?

Started by Hap Hazzard, 20 September, 2012, 05:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 19 April, 2013, 08:07:12 AM
Enough time to put snarky replies to a genuine question from a member of the paying audience, obviously.

Hmm. Strong in this one, the sense of entitlement is.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Noisybast

He does kind of have a point, though. What's the point of making everyone else play nice if Tharg's minions are going to alienate the new readers anyway?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

IndigoPrime

I think PJ's right in that this place could probably do with a FAQ, although judging by other forums hardly anyone would use it.

QuoteEnough time to put snarky replies to a genuine question from a member of the paying audience, obviously.  A simple "it's being worked on, maybe this year, maybe next year" or even "no plans at present" would have sufficed.
He said "Soon", which in one word explains that it's being worked on and there's no timescale. When there have been set dates for events or releases, Molch-R has always stated them here. If the Meg app had been submitted to Apple, approved and was ready for release on May 18, say, he'd have said so.

To sum up, then, an iOS Megazine app is in the works, but there's not currently any public release date. Any announcement beyond that will presumably happen when there's an announcement to be made.

Molch-R

Alienate new readers? Snarky? Seriously? C'mon chaps, get some perspective here.

The best answer I can currently give is "soon" because I literally CANNOT be more concrete than that and I answer this same question from various quarters Every Single Day. It'll be on there when the work is finished. Elaborating on a single word does nothing but wastes everyone's time.

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 April, 2013, 10:48:42 AM
I think PJ's right in that this place could probably do with a FAQ, although judging by other forums hardly anyone would use it.

We considered it a while ago before the movie. From bitter experience, no-one ever reads FAQs on forums and even then some of the questions we just cannot give answers to.

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 April, 2013, 09:25:45 AM
Quote from: Hap Hazzard on 19 April, 2013, 08:07:12 AM
Enough time to put snarky replies to a genuine question from a member of the paying audience, obviously.

Hmm. Strong in this one, the sense of entitlement is.

Hardly. Just pointing out a somewhat unhelpful reply, followed by evident amusement in taking the michael out of someone asking for clarification is a bit unnecessary to say the least. Was I rude in my initial question, or in asking for clarification? No.  Entitlement has nothing to do with it.  All I wanted was a bit of information.
That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 April, 2013, 10:48:42 AM

QuoteEnough time to put snarky replies to a genuine question from a member of the paying audience, obviously.  A simple "it's being worked on, maybe this year, maybe next year" or even "no plans at present" would have sufficed.
He said "Soon", which in one word explains that it's being worked on and there's no timescale. When there have been set dates for events or releases, Molch-R has always stated them here. If the Meg app had been submitted to Apple, approved and was ready for release on May 18, say, he'd have said so.

To sum up, then, an iOS Megazine app is in the works, but there's not currently any public release date. Any announcement beyond that will presumably happen when there's an announcement to be made.

No offence, but " "soon" " doesn't explain that to anyone who isn't already in the know about the info YOU have. Your final comment is actual explanation, and I appreciate it, as that's all I was asking in the first place.

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Molch-R on 19 April, 2013, 10:51:32 AM
Alienate new readers? Snarky? Seriously? C'mon chaps, get some perspective here.

The best answer I can currently give is "soon" because I literally CANNOT be more concrete than that and I answer this same question from various quarters Every Single Day. It'll be on there when the work is finished. Elaborating on a single word does nothing but wastes everyone's time.

Thanks for the actual information finally, but lets be honest - snark, there was indeed.  Two admin taking the mickey out of someone asking the question, that's snark. To then be berated for asking in the first place because I dare to not know the workloads of the 2000ad staff, when asking a question related to me wanting to spend more money on your product, is a bit rich.   I'm sorry if its a question you get too often and it annoys you, but with all due respect, how am I supposed to know that. I'm not in your shoes.  As it stands you've had a longtime supporter of 2000ad - since prog 1 - who when having actual interaction with 2000ad staff to ask a genuine question, gets unhelpfulness and berated.  Nice one guys. 

Colin YNWA

I have to be honest, I have a lot of sympathy with Hap hazzard here. Its clear from the amount of attention 2000ad is getting these days that Molch-R is very good at what he does and everyone that's mentioned here that they've meet him, says he's a very nice chap and I've certainly no reason to doubt that. On here however, he has on occasion come across, by my reading, as dismissive and even possibly condescending. I'm sure given his role its not his intention and there may well be factors, work pressures etc etc that contribute, I don't know, but that doesn't change the way it can come across.

He (and others) share a great deal of info with us, we almost certainly get more direct contact with the people involved had most fans of any comic I can think of and there's no doubt we need to be grateful of that. That's not though to say that simply asking a question, or seeking clarification, is having a sense of entitlement, or taking that for granted, its asking a question and hoping to get an answer, not assuming you are due one.

This board is great and really is a lovely place, so maybe we do expect too much on some occasions, of ourselves and others, but there's been another example, nothing to do with Molch-R I should point out, of late. Someone asked a question about Chopper, very basic and simple to most of us, but who are we to say what a new reader, or reader returning after a long absence, should or shouldn't know. That fella was given some really snarky responses and I didn't think that was helpful. Maybe, as some have suggested, he was taking the piss, I don't know, but it does no one any good to assume that and dismiss people inquires and genuine questions.

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 April, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
"Pleasure."

I can see, Rich. Good for you. Thanks for the unnecessary rudeness, and count one less reader. If rudeness and sarcasm is due someone who's merely asking a question about how they can easily spend more money on the products you put out, then I've got no wish to further support those products. 36 years I've supported 2000ad and the first time I actually have dealings with the admin staff, you've ended that. Terrific way to behave. I'd understand it if I'd been rude or pissy myself, but I wasn't until now. So please do feel proud of your little retort and the self-defeating result you've brought about.  I've gone from wanting to be able to buy the Meg as well to now not wanting to renew my current subscription.  I deal with enough jerks in the course of my work, I'm sure as heck not gonna pay for the privilege in my offtime as well.

Noisybast

Quote from: Molch-R on 19 April, 2013, 10:51:32 AM

Hmm. I know that wasn't the intention, but he certainly *sounded* alienated to me.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Matt Timson

An FAQ works fine if you can be bothered to link to it in your reply. Slightly less effective if you're hoping that somebody will bother to look for it themselves, though.
Pffft...

skurvy

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: skurvy on 30 April, 2013, 12:58:36 PM
Totally sympathise with Hap Hazard too.

Thanks.  What's really galling is this was what - a month or so ago? And now the Megazine is indeed added to the app.  So they knew it was just around the corner, and were needlessly rude to someone who started out very positive and supportive of their work.  How utterly pointless.