Main Menu

Turf by Jonathon Ross and Tommy Lee Edwards

Started by SuperSurfer, 13 April, 2010, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Anybody bought Turf? I picked it up this weekend and have only read a few pages. Intriguing stuff so far and I rate the art. Very text heavy so some of the panels seem quite busy. There will be variant covers by Jim Steranko and Duncan Fegredo. I heard of this from this weekend's Guardian magazine in which Jonathon Ross was flying the flag for the cause of comics.

LARF

This looks really good. Just done a Google though and I can't find it to buy from FPB or Amazon...  :(

SuperSurfer

It isn't a graphic novel at this stage. The first of five comics is on sale (not six as the article below states).

Just saw the other cover variants. Stunning Fegredo and Steranko art.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/237511/celebrities/jonathan-rosss-turf-comic-book-preview-pictures.html

Digital Spy:

In an interview with The Guardian, Ross revealed that Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughan wants to make a movie based on his 1920s-set comic. Ross's wife Jane Goldman penned the script for Vaughan's Kick-Ass.

He said: "My love affair with comics is more important to me than my love of films, or my work in TV, or just about anything outside my family. You're hardwired for it, if you fall in love with comics when you're 11.

"And I think if there's one good thing I can maybe achieve with - with 'my celebrity' - it's to try to broaden the horizons and widen the readership of this particular entertainment which I adore and which is somewhat belittled and denigrated and ignored. I just want to see comics getting a fair critical chance."

The six-part Turf series, which released its first issue last week, takes place in New York during prohibition and features gangsters, vampires and aliens.

Pete Wells

It popped through my letterbox this morning, I'll read it in bed tonight.

Hey Larf, there's a couple of good comic shops on ebay, I bought this issue of Turf for 2.45 (free p&p) from Disposable Heroes Comics. I think I bought all of PJ's Happy Valley comics from there too...

Hey Supersurfer, did you hear Ross' podcast interview with Geek Syndicate? He out-geeked the geeks!

Steven Sterlacchini

I bought it a few days ago.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, though I've been looking forward to it.

It's sitting next to last weeks Tooth, The Killer Vol.2 and a Vol.1 of Preacher... I've got a lot of catching up to do.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 April, 2010, 04:59:49 PM
IHey Supersurfer, did you hear Ross' podcast interview with Geek Syndicate? He out-geeked the geeks!

No, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

LARF

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 April, 2010, 04:59:49 PM
It popped through my letterbox this morning, I'll read it in bed tonight.

Hey Larf, there's a couple of good comic shops on ebay, I bought this issue of Turf for 2.45 (free p&p) from Disposable Heroes Comics. I think I bought all of PJ's Happy Valley comics from there too...

Hey Supersurfer, did you hear Ross' podcast interview with Geek Syndicate? He out-geeked the geeks!

Hey Pete can't find it on Ebay any chance of a link please mate

PS: as I was leaving home this morning Wifey asked me, 'If I was a Judge what kind of Judge would I be?', can't wait for my birthday!

Pete Wells

There you go Larf: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/DISPOSABLE-HEROES-COMICS__W0QQ_sidZ135590102?_nkw=Turf&submit=Search

Ha ha, nice and subtle from the missus there! When is your birthday by the way, I'm excited too?

LARF

5th May so it may be too close for comfort for CR, so I'm not expecting it on the day...

Kevlev's also designed me a tatoo, I'm just searching for a good tatooist (sp?) at the moment.

having a big BBQ bash in August, due to mates weddings and stag do's clashing so my 40th will be an all year thing by the looks of it.

Proudhuff

Got this and enjoyed it, a real euro feel to it reminds me of a number of BD I picked up in the eighties, (now in boxes somewhere)

Yaeh, get the meg to have an interview with wossie, with pics of his famous comics room it'll tick comics, celeeb and film boxes, and he needs the work now
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

Suspect this will be running in Miller's CLiNT magazine - which I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up. So I'll wait...

-pj

Proudhuff

That brings us to the new insult of CLINT waiter to go along side Trade waiter!
DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 May, 2010, 04:40:38 PM
Suspect this will be running in Miller's CLiNT magazine - which I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up. So I'll wait...

Yep this is being serialised in CLiNT, along with Kick Ass 2 and I think a horror? story from Frankie Boyle. I am surprised Ross didn't come up with something different which he could then repackage a comic book but he has invested a lot of time and effort into Turf so I suppose he wants to maximise readers.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

willthemightyW

I heard about it in the latest meg, went to Ace comics in Colchester, and couldn't find it. It's a shame, I suppose I'll wait until it is released as a GN, where did you all get it, a local comic shop?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Jim_Campbell

[quote author=Emperor link=topic=28243.msg513502#msg513502 date=1273944103
Yep this is being serialised in CLiNT, along with Kick Ass 2 and I think a horror? story from Frankie Boyle. I am surprised Ross didn't come up with something different which he could then repackage a comic book but he has invested a lot of time and effort into Turf so I suppose he wants to maximise readers.
[/quote]

Not to mention ... I detect the hand of a canny Scotsman behind a title where two of three headline strips are actually reprint, but where the market you're targeting won't know that.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.