Main Menu

Prog 2123 - It's Time To Bring The Magic Back.

Started by NapalmKev, 16 March, 2019, 12:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Lovely wraparound cover of returning thrill, Kingmaker, by Leigh Gallagher.

Dredd - Citizenship: A good but dark story which mirrors current events in the real world. Dredd seems a bit more callous than usual.

Survival Geeks - Dungeons and Dating. The Geeks return for a new series and they're on a quest for...I don't know. It's the first part after all. Good opener.

Kingmaker - Ouroboros: Loved the first series and this one starts well. It reads a bit like Lord of the Rings until we get to that panel featuring an aerial battle. Great stuff!

Grey Area - Making History: A very interesting development after a lot of talking. The last panel really is something to behold.

That's right, four strips. Good Prog, regardless. There is also a letters page.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

73north

I really enjoyed the Prog ( which arrived despite the snow in the Scottish Borders )
Highlight for me was Kingmaker , best thing I can say is that it feels its ' never been away ' or
that it over 2 years since the last episode - very good art and storytelling .
Grey Area was good , single Dredd episode was fabulous , and
Survival Geeks was a good laugh
( if it keeps Gordon Rennie happy in 2000ad -
so he can write more episodes of Jaegir
then its all good )
overall 8/10 no weak areas .

Bolt-01

Tis a superb cover. Leigh is a heck of an artist.

Tomontherun94

Dredd: A nice simple Dredd story, McConville really has the formula nailed.
Survival Geeks: Living in a shared house full of geeky people in our 20s, this strip feels the most relatable and is different enough to set it apart from the rest of the regular strips.
Kingmaker: This is my first experience with this strip and I gotta say this was the highlight of the prog for me this week.
Grey Area: Great as always, not much else to say.

I'm glad I finally made the plunge reading 2000 AD with the jump on issue last year after collecting both the Hachette partworks, this really does feel like some kind of golden age.

IndigoPrime

Took me a while to remember Kingmaker. My initial thought was that Tharg was looking grumpier than usual on the cover.

Buttonman

I only got 2122 yesterday! Will someone please think about the poor old subbers?!

Do tell more about this exciting letters page offering!

Leigh S

Eamonn Clarke

An honorary and posthumous KTT for a mother who went above and beyond the call of duty to deliver thrill power for her son.

Geoff

Gosh, what a letter: amusing, affectionate and moving. You need hear no more about it Buttonman, when you get the prog, you'll read it for yourself and your heart shall be warmed.

The wraparound cover and Kingmaker were also zarjaz. Grey Area rattles along too.

The Dredd was just dire though. Leaden social commentary with Dredd just clumsily tacked on at the end. With an attitude more suited to the Dredd of 30yrs ago, ignoring all of the character development over the years. Dredd stories can do social commentary well, like the long-form Democracy storylines and one-shots like John Cassavetes but this was poor.
Survival Geeks was dire too, but that's to be expected. A mixed prog for me. 

Leigh S

As soon as I saw the blizzard of text panels I knew just how Conrad and Fox feel when hitting an annual text story - I turned over to see a whole page of them and promptly gave up.  I'm not sure if I've said this about Rory McConville or some other writer before, but even great ideas die on the rack of exposition ("NOBODY expects the Spanish Exposition!")

Magnetica

It seems to be McConville's style to use exposition to tell the story. He even made a virtue of it in an interview in the Megazine (I think).  I really don't like it - this was slightly better that some of his other Dredd's, but still I would rather have the story told via action and dialogue.