Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 2 - Simon Coleby or Simon Fraser

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 January, 2021, 06:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Ok I've thought about it some more and am going for Coleby on the basis of who I would most want to draw a new strip in 2000AD.

Never would have thought that after his Friday Rogue Trooper stuff.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 January, 2021, 01:39:01 PM
Ok I've thought about it some more and am going for Coleby on the basis of who I would most want to draw a new strip in 2000AD.

This follow this link to see how Simon Coleby's art has improved (thx AlexF):

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/2016/05/no-69-simon-coleby.html
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

rogue69

Daveycandlish

Mr Fraser has an elastic dynamism to his characters that Mr Coleby does not.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

DrJomster

Another difficult choice. Dante was excellent, but I'm going with Coleby for Jaegir in particular. It's just excellent gritty world building art all the way.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Rogue Judge

I've not read Dante but really want to. TPBs are difficult to come by and I can't get the ultimate collections here in North America. An Omnibus would be great!

sixmo

Quote from: broodblik on 19 January, 2021, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 January, 2021, 01:39:01 PM

This follow this link to see how Simon Coleby's art has improved (thx AlexF):

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/2016/05/no-69-simon-coleby.html

Wow, that article is great. For some reason I didn't know Simon Coleby from way back is one and the same as modern Simon Coleby. Seems pretty obvious when you think about it! I'm not such a big fan of his earlier work, but his newer work like Jaegir and Low Life is flippin' brilliant.

I've always enjoyed Simon Fraser's work. His work on Dante is just amazing. His faces are just so expressive. Wonderful story telling.

I think the fact that I have always enjoyed Fraser's work is slightly tilting me in his direction, so it's another razor thin margin, but I'm going to pick Simon Fraser.

TordelBack

Coleby still holds my award for "most stunning evolution of an artist", just about beating Richard Elson and Alex Ronald. His work over the last decade has been sublime, somehow simultaneously hard-edged, massive and atmospheric. Always a joy to see his name in the credit card.

But nobody draws imagined architecture and real human beings like my pick Simon Fraser. I often find myself marvelling at the beauty of his women  (there can't be many strips where John Burns draws only the  second most alluring ladies), but in reality that's just one point on a continuum of brilliantly observed drawings of people, costumes and heightened but believable expressions.

I think his suitability as a Dredd artist is very underappreciated, probably due to the sheer volume of Dante, not the least if its highlights being the fun he has with logos on Blood Cadets. And that leads me on to the sheer genius of his page designs...

And then there's Lilly Mackenzie.

Lorenzo

Bolt-01

JayzusB.Christ

I hate to say this, but I've never been a massive fan of Simon Fraser's artwork.  Can't quite put a finger on why. 

I do like a bit of Coleby, though, at least with his modern style.  Coleby for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"