Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 August, 2020, 10:10:19 AM
I suspect that depends on how much you like Marvel. I wasn't that familiar with Marvel at the time I bought the first 60 issues from someone on eBay. I sold them and rebought just one (Marvels), and grabbed another (She-Hulk: Single Green Female) in a different format. I since then also got Howard the Duck (from the 'Classic' volumes they're running alongside). But then my Marvel collection is relatively small anyway.

I imagine, much like with the 2000 AD books, it's a bargain if you're a fan of the publisher—although I will note that the run had quite a few skinny books compared to the 2000 AD volumes. (A tenner for a five-issue HC is still a reasonable deal, but it's not nearly as good as books around 200 pages.)

The entire run is listed on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

More recently, it appears to have morphed into HC reprints of Marvel TPBs from 12–24 months beforehand. However, it's also digging up some fun old stuff from thr archives, like Death's Head and Dragon's Claws.

Cheers!

Lots of really good stuff in the collection, to be fair. I've been looking to read Dabnett's Annihilation for some time, so might look into grabbing it through this collection.

And if they are reprinting their more recent Graphic Novels, in Hardcover versions, then it is a bargain!

To E-bay!

IndigoPrime

If you like the idea of the Marvel collection, have patience and look on Facebook marketplace as well. You might find people attempting to dump the entire line to date, for a relatively low price (assuming you want everything). The set I picked up was years back, but the bloke had barely read anything. It seems quite a few people buy these collections, never get around to reading them, and then suddenly realise they've got hundreds of pounds' worth of books just sitting there doing nothing. But also, in resale value, the collections aren't worth a great deal—perhaps 50% at most of what you paid for them. Although resale value of second-hand ones usually holds—I sold my Marvel set for more or less what I paid for it. (I think I took a 20-quid hit to offload the things, but I figured I got well over £20 of value from reading 60+ books!)

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 August, 2020, 10:57:31 AM
If you like the idea of the Marvel collection, have patience and look on Facebook marketplace as well. You might find people attempting to dump the entire line to date, for a relatively low price (assuming you want everything). The set I picked up was years back, but the bloke had barely read anything. It seems quite a few people buy these collections, never get around to reading them, and then suddenly realise they've got hundreds of pounds' worth of books just sitting there doing nothing. But also, in resale value, the collections aren't worth a great deal—perhaps 50% at most of what you paid for them. Although resale value of second-hand ones usually holds—I sold my Marvel set for more or less what I paid for it. (I think I took a 20-quid hit to offload the things, but I figured I got well over £20 of value from reading 60+ books!)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll keep an eye out, and hopefully be able to pick up what I want.

Jade Falcon

I started reading the Future shocks book and to be honest I can't say it will ever stack up to be one of my favourites.  I remember one or two of the stories but overall I don't think this is anything special.  I won't read Slaine until the second volume of that story appears.  My Savage:Taking Liberties also had the spine error.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

That Future Shocks book seemed more a tactical play on Rebellion's part, to release a book of short strips by renowned writers (including Gaiman's limited Prog output). I imagine it made its way into the Hachette collection by virtue of existing and for much the same reasons (having certain names on the cover). As for Taking Liberties, I suspect the entire print run is affected.

karlos

Nikolai Dante vol 9 just shipped from FP .

Never read a single word so looking forward to diving in.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: karlos on 14 August, 2020, 03:10:20 PM
Nikolai Dante vol 9 just shipped from FP .

Never read a single word so looking forward to diving in.

Got my email as well sooo looking forward to the final instalment as I too had not read Dante right through
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

I've had mine. Read the whole thing and still very much looking forward to this and the excuse to dive in again.

The Monarch

it'll be fantastic to have a full collection of hardback Nikolai Dante

Jade Falcon

I had never read Dante before and my impression of the first one or two books was a bit above 'meh', basically, slightly silly nonsense with really nice art but the addictiveness and the increasing grimness of the story has really grown on me. I wonder, if you got a producer who really loved Dante what sort of miniseries you could have and who would be ideal casting.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Grumpy Andrew

Richard

When I first read Dante I didn't think much of it until The Great Game, when it really takes off. I enjoyed it after that, and it peaked with the Tsar Wars saga. After that I went back to the first stories and read them again, and found a new appreciation for them. They're full of world-building and you can see all of the potential which is going to be realised later on, often many years later, and you realise just how much thought and planning went into it before the first episode was ever published. It's an extraordinary series.

broodblik

I agree with Richard, the first few episodes is more about world-building and setting the origins of the character. As the story progress Dante is changing with the story at one stage the self-centered little egotistic character becomes something more. I rate this as my best 2000AD series. I want it back but the ink is dry, the tale is carved in stone.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

well its time for good news bad news

good news i sure do have a complete nikolai dante in hc

bad news the 40th anniversary one offs not in it. its mentioned in the back matter but its not in the actual book

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 17 August, 2020, 05:27:24 PM
They're full of world-building and you can see all of the potential which is going to be realised later on, often many years later, and you realise just how much thought and planning went into it before the first episode was ever published. It's an extraordinary series.

Some credit must go to David Bishop on that score. IIRC, the original proposal kicked off with what (I think) would have been Tsar Wars, and it was David who suggested rewinding and starting the story much earlier in the timeline.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.