Main Menu

Skizz

Started by Grobbendonk, 30 March, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pert

QuoteSkizz is more an attempt to cash in on the predicted popularity of stranded-aliens-and-the-kids-who-love-them genre (one dear to Tharg's heart) that E.T. will create.  It's the same clever planning as 'let's launch a SF comic because this The Space Wars movie that's coming out in '77 means SF is going to be huge'.

Now you mention it I'm surprised the Galaxy's Greatest didn't do anything to cash in on Gremlins/Critters etc a year or so later, the old Greenbonce missed a trick there!

Steve Green

Well there were Gribligs in Dredd.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 April, 2014, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: pert on 21 April, 2014, 04:54:29 PM
QuoteSkizz is more an attempt to cash in on the predicted popularity of stranded-aliens-and-the-kids-who-love-them genre (one dear to Tharg's heart) that E.T. will create.  It's the same clever planning as 'let's launch a SF comic because this The Space Wars movie that's coming out in '77 means SF is going to be huge'.

Now you mention it I'm surprised the Galaxy's Greatest didn't do anything to cash in on Gremlins/Critters etc a year or so later, the old Greenbonce missed a trick there!

Well there were Gribligs in Dredd.

Necronauts was just Ghostbusters without Sigourney Weaver.

JayzusB.Christ

Whereas Firekind was clearly a blatant attempt to jump on the Avatar bandwagon.  Assuming John Smith has a time machine.  Which he does.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 April, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
I have never read Skizz as I was always holding out for a complete collection somewhere down the line.

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 April, 2014, 06:00:13 PM
Definitely worth a reprint, as I don't think any of the published copies of Book 1 have been complete - Titan missed 3 pages, BEst of 2000AD & Rebellion trade missed 1.

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 16 April, 2014, 06:39:07 PM
A Complete Skizz that included all 3 stories would be most welcome.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 April, 2014, 02:50:33 PM
Never read any Skizz, but I'd snap up a complete collection.

We'll all be happy chappies now the Forthcoming Thrills 2017 thread reports:

13 Jun 2017 - The Complete Skizz - paperback, 272 pages
"The ultimate illegal alien! Alan Moore's out of print classic returns in a brand new complete collection!

When Interpreter Zhcchz of the Tau-Ceti Imperium crashed his ship into the small blue Hellworld-classed planet, the odds of surviving were stacked against him. Stranded in the polluted, hostile British city of Birmingham, 'Skizz' is befriended by Roxy, a plucky young local girl. But danger is ever present - from bad food to Prime Minister Thatcher's hostile government alien-hunters, this E.T. may soon be R.I.P!"

I know it's not rated as highly as the other instalments but I've been waiting on Skizz III for years!  Yay Tharg!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Arh Skizz is great. I love the first, I'll tell you in a few months if its still my favourite Alan Moore work in the prog. Jim Baikie is such a great artist, an unsung great amongst the 2000ad ranks. The latter too books are both worth reading to, in particular Book 3 which is crazy fun. If you still haven't read this snap this one up as soon as you can.

Hawkmumbler

Aye, i'll be getting this. It some how escaped my noice that Baiki was the artist for Book I which only seals the deal, one of the finest artists ever to work on any comic ever.

TordelBack

I won't be getting this! The original was my first 2000AD love, the first strip I'd read from the very start (not realising I had in fact missed the first episode), the first strip where I noticed the name of the writer and not just the artist, and the first strip where I became aware of some of the clever things you could actually do in a comic.

The other two books (not that I've read all of the third one) are dull and pointless and in places actually take away from the first. I'd rather not be reminded of their existence. Nice art, though!

TordelBack

Thinking on this some more, I'd have packaged the original Skizz with DR & Quinch instead of Books II and III (and maybe throw in Red Planet Blues and First of the Few etc for completeness' sake). Call it League of Extraordinary Aliens, E.T. And Stiggs, Moore-or-Less Originals, The Magus Recycles or something. All Moore's copyright-bothering strips in one handy volume!

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 March, 2014, 12:48:08 PM
*At a guess, between family and friends and family of friends, there was over 20 titles in 'the pool': Beano, Dandy, Star Wars, Eagle, Whizzer & Chips, Warlord, Victor, Battle, Bunty, Hulk [or whatever that week's Marvel repackage was]

Marvel's Star Wars had almost certainly been renamed (and renumbered) Return of the Jedi by that point (speaking as somebody who just rediscovered their 'May the Force Be With You' bagde ;)

sheridan

Quote from: Grobbendonk on 13 April, 2014, 01:39:13 PM
I always interpreted it that the Police were so sick of Van Owen by that point they'd overlook a slight case of !

I'm pretty sure one of the cops knew Cornelius already (from chldhood?) and no doubt he'd be able to escape prison (if not a hospital) between 'diminished responsibility' and having just been [spoiler]shot by Van Owen[/spoiler].

seanharry

Shame it is not in hardcover.