Main Menu

Sony's death wish?

Started by Wils, 27 May, 2006, 11:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

One way to curb the second hand game market would be to not charge so much for new games in the first place.

?40 for a new game is taking the piss, especially i the game turns out to be pants.

Case in point, my 8 year old autistic son completed the Ice Age 2 game in two days. TWO DAYS!!

Thae game had absolutely no thought put into it whatsoever and is clearly a means of making money.

I complained to the software company about the ease in which that game is finished but wouldn't you know, have yet to get a reply.

And what software were Sony putting on the mucis CD's?

Wils

And what software were Sony putting on the mucis CD's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_kit" target="_blank">One of these for a start.

Meathook

Rootkits!!! Man that is sick . Why not prod the consumer with a Tazer Stick for good measure . Or how about earpods  a la Dr Who! We shall all be one.......all are one......Consume... Conform ...Make Love..Be happy.
We need some special sunglasses to usurp the protagonists!!
Each peach pear plum!

Floyd-the-k

A computer with a rootkit on it is called a rooted computer

that's funny - the person who came up with that is obviously not Australian. Or perhaps they are....is a rooted computer completely bloody rooted?

anyway, I don't buy games but Sony sound as if they can get rooted

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_%28disambiguation%29" target="_blank">wouldn't it root your boot?

Satanist

Well the rumour I read about at the weekend was that the PS3 will actually burn the consoles code onto the gamedisk. So you wont be able to use it on any other machine. This makes swapping/renting/second hand deals impossible. Apparently this rumour was knocked back at last E3 but Sony refused to comment this year.

Another thing I read was that one of the Sony spokesmen said the price didn't matter as they could charge $1000 for a console with NO games and they would still sell a million units thanks to the fanboys.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Wils

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/hamaliel/pipersiege.jpg">

Keef Monkey

If you put on Roddy's sunglasses and looked at a playstation I wonder what you would see?

Meathook

Would he still have to fight the wrestling marathon with the CEO of Sony?
Each peach pear plum!

Keef Monkey

Bico

He would see a plain white box adorned with the words "feed me money".

I didn't know that about the rootkit.  That's lousy.  I pictured the PS3 to be a reliable workhorse rather than anything especially creative or outstanding - an Xbox 360, basically.  Not in love with all the stuff coming to light about the price, the attitude to gamers, etc.  Probably shooting themselves in the foot with all these rumours coming out as the launch approaches - they can't all be attributed to anti-marketing by Microsoft, so there's probably a great deal that needs to be clarified and expanded upon before the machine hits shops.  I shan't be bothering for a while, as I've learned my lesson with the 360.  based on the games I've played, how much gametime I've logged, and how disappointed I was by PDZ, I'd have to say it was a pretty shite machine.

Quite looking forward to Wii Zelda and Phoenix Wright, though - helped in no small way by the assurance that the machine will be available "cheap, and this year".

The Amstor Computer

...and "cheap" could be very fucking cheap, as Japanese retailers are listing it for just under the yen equivalent of US$150. This may not turn out to be lower than Nintendo are intending, but they have repeatedly told the games media that it will be below US$250, and to look to their previous consoles for an indication of what Nintendo consider a reasonable launch price (the N64 and GameCube both came in at US$199) so a price in the $150 isn't too far-fetched. Add to this their stated aim of "disrupting the market" and the relatively low-spec hardware in the console itself, and it could just be that they're really going to go for such a low opening price.

Umpty --

I can sympathise with your problems with price. ?30-35 is the maximum I'm prepared to pay for a brand-new game (I will go higher in the case of titles like Guitar Hero or Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat which come with peripherals), but the top end just seems set to increase this generation - game prices of ?40-50 seem pretty much certain for the Xbox 360 and PS3. If developers can't find a way to bring costs under control during development, and publishers can't offer games to the consumer at a reasonable price, I can certainly see major problems not far down the line.

Something Fishy

I've found the 360 an excellent and well designed machine, albeit with a lack of games early on.

For me though Oblivion and GRAW have made it a must own.

I find the marketplace ace, i often play demo's rather than buy full games.

Arcade is fantastic and has loads of easy to get into games.

I also love the PC integration.

Overall i am very happy.

I think it's the most functional console there has ever been and, now the games are flowing, there are plenty of great games.

The new Table Tennis game is ace too.

Jim_Campbell

"I've found the 360 an excellent and well designed machine, albeit with a lack of games early on. "

I am not a hardcore gamer. I have a PS2. I have Black. I am happy.

That is all.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

I'm really happy with my 360, have played some fantastic games on it(Condemned was amazing)and while they haven't brought anything out for a couple of months that I would buy, there's some great looking stuff coming out in later in the year. I think it's brawsome, and while I might give the PS3 a bash when it comes out if it's not much different to the 360(which it doesn't seem to be graphics wise at least) then I'm not going to be bothered to buy it.

Something Fishy

Black is indeed great.. even more so in 720P on the 360.