Main Menu

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Started by willthemightyW, 19 August, 2013, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

Okay so I'm considering buying this, I played the first level round my friends and it is one of the creepiest things I have played! All I was doing was sneaking down a hall way, but the atmosphere was great, and the one guard you have to avoid is wonderfully creepy. To those that have played, what's the rest of it like, is it recommended? Sorry if this is already a thread.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

IAMTHESYSTEM

The BAD: The Gameplay in Call of Cthulu is pretty dire when I played it on a PC. There's a fair amount  of cut scenes or cut into scenes as I called them as they happened so often it was frankly annoying.

You get no weapons as I recall till about the third or fourth level since the first levels involve creeping about in Innsmouth looking for clues and bumping into undercover FBI Agents. You have to sneak through an area without being detected whilst being hunted which some gamers despise. A particularly tough bit is when you escape from Innsmouth as you have to close locks on doors and push furniture across doorways which due to the poor gameplay can be frustratingly difficult. It got so difficult on the Shaggoth level where you have to run through and bolt a series of doors, whilst being pursued by  a beastie that I gave up even though I'd done it successfully when I'd played it before.

Locked safe's containing clues were very problematic being very difficult due to the gameplay which was designed with X-BOX gamers in mind and healing yourself involves acquiring boxes of sutures,bandages etc.

Gets a bit better when you get a pistol, shotgun etc but still pretty tough and I'm afraid I couldn't complete the game due to compatibility issues with my computer that meant it crashed the game. Very VERY frustrating.

GOOD: Well you said it ATMOSPHERE. It captures the world of Lovecraft very well despite the jaggedy looking wheels, poor gameplay etc. That I'm afraid is about all it had going for it. Also you have to save the life of a young J Edgar Hoover, later head of the FBI  who was a friend of organized crime and an occasional [allegedly] transvestite. 

So if you like spooky weirdness and dark mutterings of mind numbing cosmic horror with the most miserable gameplay issues then CoC  is the game for you.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

willthemightyW

Thanks for the info! I've actually heard it's a lot poorer on the PC than on the console in terms of gameplay (which is unusual, I know). I might get it on xbox, I think I can get it relatively cheap on amazon.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

shaolin_monkey

I played it when it was first released on the 360.  Stupidly difficult game. 

willthemightyW

I didn't think it was on the 360?

Also yeah that's what I've heard. Even in the first level, there are a lot of things you need to do that aren't obvious, and there are no prompts. Part of me thinks that's a really cool idea, it makes everything more tense, for instance: Having one of the creepy guards at Innsmouth banging on a door trying to get in while you have to quickly scramble round the room looking at stuff and using pure common sense to figure out what to do before he kicks the door down. But I can also see myself getting very frustrated with it very quickly!

Silent_Bomber

Its a good game with a lot of atmosphere, and tension, and some great gameplay, but don't go into it thinking there's going to be a lot of shooting and such, this is primarily a creeping-around survival horror game.

Some sections in this game are very difficult, if you give up and get frustrated easily then it may not be the game for you, its the sort of game where you'll often need to keep re-doing sections until you get them right.

I've only played the XBox version

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: willthemightyW on 21 August, 2013, 04:06:25 PM
I didn't think it was on the 360?

You're right, it wasn't. It was the first Xbox.  Sorry, you get to my age and you start to lose track of which console was which. ;)