Main Menu

Do you think the synopsis for my future shock is good enough?

Started by SebyCroft, 03 October, 2017, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SebyCroft

Jesse is abducted by a being from a higher dimension who tells him about his plans for him, but Jesse will learn that the Misterious Man has something different in mind than what he claims.
That alien being,  though,  doesn't know that Jesse has surprises too, some surprises that will affect the entire universe.
What do you think, guys?
Can you give me some advice?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Quote from: SebyCroft on 03 October, 2017, 05:19:09 PM
Jesse is abducted by a being from a higher dimension who tells him about his plans for him, but Jesse will learn that the Misterious Man has something different in mind than what he claims.
That alien being,  though,  doesn't know that Jesse has surprises too, some surprises that will affect the entire universe.
What do you think, guys?
Can you give me some advice?

A synopsis would look more like this:

Jesse, a cowboy from the 1890s midwest is abducted by a mysterious man. The man, dressed all in black, is looking for something that he knows only Jesse knows about. He captures him and reveals that the man-in-black is in fact an Alien and that Jesse should be overawed by his weird alien powers.  Jesse though, it turns out, is in fact a time traveller from the far future, where the alien tech just looks antiquated, they're both on the hunt for the same thing - to the alien - a futuristic weapon of destruction, to Jesse, and antiquated weapon of his past. They fight. Jesse wins. Jesse returns home. The, after burying the alien in the grounds that later turn out to be area 51.

The end.

It's rubbish. But it's a synopsis.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

To clarify things a bit, SebyCroft, what you've written is a teaser or a blurb - it works as an advert for your story pitched to potential readers, but it's not what an editor wants. They need to know what your surprises and twists are going to be, and how they are delivered, not just the promise that there will be some. Set spoilers to maximum.

Bolt-01

PJ- I've had 'much' worse for FQ.

SebyCroft- Tordelback hits the nail on the head there. The editor needs to know what the story is about- all the twists and turns- otherwise how will he know whether it is good enough.

Also- once you've got your pitch all worked out- please don't post the real thing on the internet.

SebyCroft

So a synopsis is the summary of the story.
Thank you, guys!

Lobo Baggins

Script Droid Alec Worley was kind enough to post a synopsis for a Terror Tale last year in this thread:

http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=43690.msg930478#msg930478
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 05 October, 2017, 09:45:33 AM
Script Droid Alec Worley was kind enough to post a synopsis for a Terror Tale last year in this thread:

http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=43690.msg930478#msg930478

Damn, that's a good thread generally!  Quick read of that (and associated links) and I feel inspired to write my own Future Shocks...

SebyCroft

I have one more question, should I describe the looks of characters that aren't really important in the story?

pauljholden

Not in the synopsis, unless their looks at either important for the plot or the scene (or mood)

"Jesse, the last of the gruff outlaws of the 1890s midwest..."

Minimum amount of words for maximum impact.

-PJ