Main Menu

Goodbye Carlos

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 October, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its so hard to imagine that Carlos won't be in the Prog anymore. He was such a talent, such an influence and by all reports such a great human being.

The fact that the Prog will always feel a little empty without him marks out this artistic legacy. For all the sadness now and the sadness in the future, unlike so many we all will have our memories of Carlos on the page to remind us what an unbelievable talent he was. How much he shaped not just comics but my thoughts on what excites and thrills me in every way.

Thank you Carlos Ezquerra.

esoteric ed

Such awful news, RIP Sir.

Ed

Proudhuff

Sad loss indeed, a wonderful, warm, kind man with a mischievous twinkle in his eye, had a pint with him and John post Glasgow one year, with half a dozen gibbering fan... he couldn't have been more indulgent and generous. 2000ad won't be the same again.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 01 October, 2018, 06:59:23 PM
Can anyone from editorial let us know whether there is any of his art still awaiting publication? Or have we really seen his last Dredd?

I hope there's a Strontium Dog sitting on file, given how close the character was to his creator's heart. Wagner & Ezquerra's creator-owned Spector has already been announced for the Megazine (later this year?).

In 2014, the Inky Fingers podcast was lucky enough to conduct a series of short interviews with Ezquerra about his art and career, in which his warmth and personality really come across:

Part One (16m 20s)

Part Two (07m 05s)

Part Three (18m 52s) 

Transcript of Interview (few parts inaudible, if anyone can fill in the blanks, I'd be grateful)

esoteric ed

Goaty

Robin Low

The Legendary Shark

Carlos once hugged me and called me his friend.

I haven't felt so sad in decades.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Leigh S

When I heard the news, I had just come in from the kitchen, where I had been painting the Flys-Eyes Wagner miniature (any excuse to dig out the original "Journey Into Hell" comics run for colour ref). I had been listening to Conrad and Fox pouring deserved praise onto Carlos' Stainless Steel Rat art on their Space Spinner 2000 podcast. I had idly realised I needed to send the final pages of the Middenface NcNulty strip off to the Dogbreath fanzine. The desk from which I type this is over run with Gronks of various sizes, watched over by the Johnny Alpha action figure and an SD badge.

I have jokingly said that the comics creators of my youth were more like a mom and dad to me than my parents were, but with the first of those Giants passing, it's only now I can truly understand it was no joke - it was Carlos and his inspiration, that first set me drawing, I wouldnt have spent countless days hunting down rare drawings from his pen, wouldnt have met such fabulous people as I have through this very message board. More so the characters he created simultaneously took me away from myself and made me the person I am today - I have met Carlos twice, and he was so wonderful and enthusiastic and full of life (as were the Gronk and Alpha sketches he graciously did for me).

Farewell Carlos, we will never see your like again.

Rogue Judge

Very sad and unexpected - RIP Carlos. Im surrounded by his artwork in my cubicle at work everyday (printed a bunch of Carlos  Dredd/Stront prog covers about a year back). He leaves an amazing body of artwork behind, a fantastic legacy.

abelardsnazz

A real shock. Watching the interview with him and John from the 40th anniversary convention, such a humble man belying his immense talent. Really sad to think his body of work is now complete, but what a body of work, to be enjoyed again and again. RIP Carlos.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

So sad to hear this - I encountered the great man at a Glasgow Convention and at the 40th. Glad I got to say hello, sorry I was too shy to tell him he was the best.

'The Apocalypse War' is for me the definitive Dredd story and there was a run on Strontium Dog that was just sublime - anyone says they don't like comics? show them the 'Moses Quest' and they'll be converted.

I'm glad Carlos is at peace after a long struggle with cancer and I hope his family get comfort from all the tributes the great man is amassing.

Too soon to discuss such things but it would be a nice gesture if 2000ad could put out a print sometime down the line, to celebrate a life dedicated to the comic with proceeds going to Cancer Research or a charity of Carlos' family's choosing.