Main Menu

Quailfying 2 - 5: Steve McManus vs Peter Hogan - Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 May, 2020, 07:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Last vote of qualifying - wayhey! This one strikes me as tough. One of the greatest of Tharg's little helpers BUT that matters not a jot - in this context - it his writing - and there's been a fair amount of that on good strips . On the other had the man who most famously recieved Tharg's wrath but has before that and recently produced some very interesting strips. So based on their WRITING for Tharg

Steve McManus - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=STEVEM

or

Peter Hogan - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=PETERH

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Thursday 28th May?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46447.0

Next Qualifying 2 face off starts tomorrow - we're getting nearly at the Tourney proper - how exciting.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Bolt-01

TordelBack

I thought this one was fairly straightforward,  I've always enjoyed Hogan's stuff, and despite MacManus' editing chops, other than MACH 0 and the great Shok! there isn't much in his script catalogue that inspires me. But then I remembered The Mighty One - I know it's not a 2000AD publication per se,  but it's one of the best reads around for the nuts and bolts of the comic.

So with a reluctant guilty wave to Maeve the Many-Armed,  I think I'll go for Steve MacManus.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Hogan's work was so bad that I'm counting it as a negative number of stories, so if the only factor was quantity I'd vote for MacManus. But of course quality is more important, and for MACH Zero and his autobiography im voting for MacManus.

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2020, 02:15:03 PM
So with a reluctant guilty wave to Maeve the Many-Armed...

Oops, just remembered Maeve is from Hilary Robinson's tenure,  not that of notorious fantasist Ho-Gan, so my vote for MacManus is unencumbered by (as much) regret. Good of you all not to point and laugh, appreciated.

Colin YNWA

This one has been quite quiet and still remains a little in the balance. So use your grasp your very last chance to influence qualifying and get your vote in today as I'll wrap this one, round 2 of qaulifying and hotdamn qualifying itself up first thing in the morning.

People its about to get real. REAL.

AlexF

You're right this is a tough one. I really do like MACH Zero quite a bit, probably more than any single Hogan story. But then I love the whimsy of Timehouse, and the recent Zaucer of Zilk was superbly well written, so much zesty dialogue.

I'm giving it to Hogan not Rogan*, on the grounds that I'd be more excited to see his name in the credits box in the next Prog.

*That was one of Mac-1's pseudonyms, right?

rogue69

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Well as it starts so it ends. Nice symmetry. This vote started with one participant streaking ahead and the vote seemed done and dusted. Yet as the final votes came in there was a swing, a very significient... would they hold on, would they get caught at the line... well... no

Peter Hogan

Held on to become our final qualifier and so the first round proper is full and we're good to go...