Main Menu

Your first Prog - which & why?

Started by exilewood, 26 November, 2010, 12:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus

Prog 874, because it had a Rogue Trooper poster. I was 14 at the time. I soon got hold of prog 873 containing the first episodes of each story, most likely from Forbidden Planet.

The monthlies got me initially (I found having to pick up an ongoing story in the weekly offputting) including some Rogue Trooper, ABC warriors and Ace Trucking which I loved, and part of the Cursed Earth saga in The Complete Judge Dredd. I started buying those regularly with Judge Death and the glow in the dark sticker. I'd previously been buying the Megazine for a few issues containing Mechanismo but for some reason I stopped before Judgement Day came around. If I'd held on I probably would have started 2000ad then. I didn't come back to the Megazine until the cadet Giant / Walter the Wobot story around issue 50.

I'd forgotten until I looked at the prog today that Dinosty was written by Pat Mills! Luke Kirby was about to be canned, Rouge was embarking on his worst stories beginning with the Scavenger of Souls, and I never understood Tyranny Rex, but Clint Langley's fabulous dinosaur-people kept me coming back for more.

I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Toni Scandella

Prog 1, because I saw it advertised in a 4 page pull out section in another comic (I may be misremembering, but there were definitely ads that featured a picture of dinosaurs eating people - if I am wrong about that then all I can offer is that I definitely knew about 2000AD 3 or 4 weeks before Prog 1 as I had seen an ad - maye in Action, maybe in Bullet, maybe in Roy of the Rovers or Cheeky Weekly or something - but I had seen and ad!!!

And I was looking forward to a sci fi comic with dinosaurs eating people in it!)

(Edit - Sorry, just realised this is an old thread I alrready answered a year or so ago! Opps!)

Ghost MacRoth

Basically had been reading a mates back catalogue, from about 220, and when I finished, 500 was coming out, so I started buying 'em myself.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

The Enigmatic Dr X

It's been said before, but this board is about 2000ad...

The Prog = 224

The Why = Judge Death Lives on the cover

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=224
Lock up your spoons!

brendan1

Prog 240. I was 9.

I think I'd read one or two earlier progs that an older cousin had brought to a family holiday in Spain, and decided I should start spending my pocket-money on something other than sweets.

Only comic I ever collected, and the only one I still read regularly.

blackmocco

224 as well. Perfect jumping on point. My older brother had always brought it home when it started (Was only interested in Flesh) but wasn't until Maurice Foley across the road had prog 224 in his hands that I sprinted to the newsagent and picked it up. I'm not saying it's the greatest issue of 2000ad but it's my favorite. Gronk Affair, Bolland Dredd/Death/Anderson (The last page of Dredd being the greatest fucking splash page EVER as far as I'm concerned...), Nemesis crash-landing, Meltdown Man. Fucking excellent. Saw Mad Max II the following summer and it was all over...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Mangamax

Prog 1, because it was a UK title and i was in love with Action.
'Nuff said.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

spireite68

Prog 1 coz it was the only one with a free gift.
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

red_lichtie

Technically its somewhere around 970-973.  Found a stash of progs lying around unwanted and unloved in a church hall somewhere.  Can't remember why I picked them up but I did.  Still got them somewhere.

First prog I actually bought would be around the second episode of mazeworld.

Why?  I had finally read finished reading through the stash I had "rescued" and when I was walking through John Menzies (W H Smiths as was), saw the 2000AD logo and the rest is a big pile of comics lurking in my bedroom.

worldshown

Said before on another thread, but I'll say it again.

My sister bought me prog 2 whilst over my grandmother's house. As I was five at the time, the content went straight over my head.

The first prog I bought regularly was 250, after getting the 1982 annual as an unwanted Christmas present.

Stopped reading at 502 because the girls serving in the newsagent laughed in my face as I bought it. Came back at prog 901 because of Judge Death on the cover.

credo

Prog 626 and the startling Slaine: Horned God cover.  I'd never seen comic art like it.

That was the first bought (and the start of the collection), but I was already pretty sucked in by that point thanks to some of the 400s and 500s. I really remember Kevin O'Neill's cover with the mutant Dredd (still one of the best short Dredd stories), the Bad Company cover from 501 and almost took the plunge into collecting after seeing Bisley's art on the ABC Warrior: Black Hole.

Large48

1 because it was new, did quite like it though............
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Mudcrab

Like Albion, my first was 86. Cos it merged with Starlord (from my point of view  :D), had been getting that since the start. Would have been 7 going on 8.

Stopped around 473 I think it was (when I was 15 and totally too old for comics  :lol:). Just got a few trades and the odd prog after that but started again properly at 1000. Filled in the gaps etc after that. Typical, if only I'd held on a few progs more, Bad Company would have started and life may have been different. I'm guessing I wouldn't have made it all the way past the 6/700s though.   
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

lukethecartoonist

Progs 1240 and 1241 simultaneously, because they were the first ones at my shop when I decided to start reading it.
Moon Freight 3: A sci-fi/comedy webcomic every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. http://moonfreight3.com

SmallBlueThing

I think many of us have already done this, but just in case anyone's interested and can't be bothered to trawl back through the thread: prog one. And i've been here ever since.

As for why- dunno, ask my dad. He went to the shop and bought it for me, unasked. Maybe he saw the tv ad, maybe he was interested to see what 'the new dan dare' was like. I'd ask him myself, but he's old now and never listens to anything anyone says, preferring to answer the questions he imagines they asked.

SBT