Main Menu

SMALL AXE!!!

Started by Stevielonghair, 26 April, 2005, 09:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Pffft...

pauljholden

You SAY you want Irish comics, but I'll bet you still didn't buy DNA Swamp when it came out..

I did stuff for that - I can safely say it was cack.

-pj

Max Kon

JEB: if you had said 'properly' then it'd be a job

Bico

How can you *say* such a thing?  It had Celtor - the Irish version of Superman - in it!

Buddy

Ah yes, DNA Swamp... another golden opportunity wasted. PJ is right of course, it was crap.

In fact I can think of only one home grown comic worth reading.. Holy Cross.

If you can track down any issues of that you're in for a treat. and while your at it Major Power and Spunky and The Moon Looked Down And Laughed (PJ is that part of the Holy Cross stories) are also worth a look.

Bico

A bit of a shame there's nothing much coming out of Ireland, really, as there's probably budding artists and writers chomping at the bit to get their stuff out there, but lacking the necessary outlet - and funding.
If I don't make a complete hog's ear of getting Pony School completed and printed on time, I might fancy my chances putting something together and trying to get my hands on some of that grant money - although that wouldn't be a prerequisite for putting something together.

pauljholden

I drew Holy Cross #3, The Moon Looked Down and laughed (which was part of Holy Cross - it would've been episode 4, but they wanted it extended IIRC) and The Dandy Lion - all with Mal Coney.

Just to clarify: anything I did with DNA Swamp was cack - I couldn't comment on the rest.

There are a few Irish comics - all coming out of the South. Up North (it's grim up North) there seems to be Small Axe (I have a copy of issue #1 - it's all very early 90s) and ... that's about it - although I stand to be corrected - not getting the chance to frequent my local comic shop I've no idea if there are any wannabe writers/artists in Norn Iron - but we'll see on Saturday when we're having a mini-comic festival type thing (which I wasn't invited to .. damn it)

- pj

Stevielonghair

shows the mentality these people have, you dont even know them!!PROB'ABLY meaning most likely...you jumped up tart who the feck are you to sit in judgement on peoples mentality...Tell rufus to come an ask for stevie, I'll be more than happy opine to his countenance...get a sense of humour....numpty

Bico

In fairness, PJ, they probably just don't want you scaring the kids.

Bico

Sorry, I meant they PROPERLY don't want you scaring the kids.

Jesus, there's no need to be so defensive, Stevie - you came on to a board which (like most other boards with heavy daily traffic) has its regulars who latch onto the smallest flaw in any statement and take the piss FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMUSING THEMSELVES, which is what happens here all the time.  Which you'd know if you'd read the board for a bit before posting purely to advertise your magazine.
Anyway, seeming to insult one of the regulars for no reason (even if it was just a typo) was bound to elicit some comment, and you were better off just ignoring the comebacks, to be honest.

Wils

I personally liked the creativeness of adding an aspostrophe to "probably" and typing it in caps, seemingly making it special and Rufus-specific.

Perhaps a full, dictionary-like definition of "PROB'ABLY" would make us understand more?

Will there be other words to come that are attributed to people linked with 2000ad? A couple of examples might be:

"...john wagner don't even AP'PARENT'LY write"

"...tom frame don't even sometime MAY'BE letterers"

Buddy

Er.. it's Umpty actually (unless you're doing your creative spelling thing.. in which case it would be Ump'ty).

Christ, you small axe people sound a right laugh, can't sustain a reasonable argument, hey a bit of violence will sort that out.

Is if Norn Iron didn't have enough of a reputation, was that you at the Glens/Linfield match last saturday?

SamuelAWilkinson

Joe Dredd don't even ACT'UABLY bust perps.

Also, while I'm here, let's discuss apostrophe use, shall we? Here's a helpful song to help you remember how it goes. Best accompanied by a chimp on spoons and a Yorkshireman playing the Fool.

Ooooohhh, if you want possessives put one before the 's'
But if you want a plural just add an 's' on the end
Let's not forget the exception to the rule which is:
(tralalalallala)
Its/it's, the rule governing which goes:
(tralalalallala)
If you want possessive, then it's "I-T-S"
But if you want contraction, then it's "I-T-apostrophe-S"
Singing hey, ho, tralalalallala hey, ho, tralalalallallallallalllayyyy!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

paulvonscott

Well, the bloke probably (yes, that's probably) turned up, and thought he'd plug his comic in a cheeky way, and didn't expect it to be taken so seriously.  Maybe we shoudl give him a break now.

Jared Katooie

"If I don't make a complete hog's ear of getting Pony School completed and printed on time, I might fancy my chances putting something together and trying to get my hands on some of that grant money - although that wouldn't be a prerequisite for putting something together."

Well I love comics so if you need someone to cough up a script I'll gladly volunteer. I'm very passionate about creativity and grants and stuff. Plus I could do that cool writer thing where I ask you for your "input" then use all your ideas before dumping you for John Burns.

Think about it!