Main Menu

Happy Valley

Started by pauljholden, 23 September, 2009, 08:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

When does it land on my thrill-merchant's shelves, PJ? 

I need to see this.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

pauljholden

First issue is out in December - not sure when, but hopefully in time for my 40th birthday! (28th)

-pj

Noisybast

Quote from: Professah Byah on 23 September, 2009, 10:52:29 PM
I'm reasonably sure the Germans know what some of their grandads got up to and what the swastika represents...

It's not the Germans I'm worried about...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Noisybast

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 September, 2009, 09:33:34 PM
I'm probably going to expose ignorance of such things here talking to the artist himself BUT the 'scratchy' nature of the inking reminded me of McMahon's Slaine.

Nah, I thought that, too. Nice to see it confirmed by the man himself.
It's looking good, PJ. I'll keep an eye out for this.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

pauljholden

There's a tiny bit of a panel on the eclectic micks website, notable because it's the first thing I've drawn with a cintiq - and it's pretty much identical to something I'd inked with a brush - and it was after 10 minutes of playing around with it... So I'm buying one...

http://eclecticmicks.blogspot.com/2009/10/happy-valley.html

-pj

Colin YNWA

And an interview with Garth Ennis about the book here. Might be a different preview page was well...or that could be just my memory playing tricks on me (clocks back 4 month old with new sleep patterns yawn... excuses in place already!)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23450

pauljholden

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 27 October, 2009, 03:57:21 PM
And another interview (with some new art)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091027-Ennis-Battlefields.html

-pj

Cool! I never knew that the Germans used lightsabres as an anti-aircraft weapon ... ;-P

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Interesting stuff, looking forward to these new ones, and the hardback of the first 3 should fit under the Christmas tree just right...
DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Riddle me this: There seems to be enough interest in this to support quite a sizable series (and this is not the first war comic Ennis has done) - does this show that there is enough interest to support more war comics or is this just that some people will buy anything by Ennis?

Just curious about the market for cape-free genre comics.

I suppose Commando is till going too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mike Gloady

Zombie comics seem to do surprisingly well these days too.  Sadly I get zombies about as well as capes, so no help for me. 

War and western and romance genres welcome.  Hurry, wise publishers, leap on these gaps in the market.

pauljholden

Sadly, I've no idea; I think the US comic market is entirely based around superheroes - Garth does mention a dream "Battle of Britain" epic, but your guess is as good as mine as to whether the market can sustain something like that written by anyone other than Garth. (Or even if it can sustain one written by Garth)

-pj

Colin YNWA

Whenever they release a Sgt Rock series over at DC the sales estimates always place in below 100 in the sales charts. Which for a name character and normally a good creative team is pretty disappointing. Still DC keep doing them so they might be selling elsewhere or the trades doing well. It would seem clear that the sales on these items are enough to keep Dynamite happy so fingers crossed there is a market out there.

I'd really hope so as I'd love to see some ongoing WWII comic. DC seems to have the richest set of characters to mine and I always hope they'll get behind such a title in the way they have with Jonah Hex for the western.

Heck Rebellion should just buy the rights and relaunch Battle... ok so I'm dreaming now but hey

Mike Gloady

Good idea Colin, maybe in a few years after this recession's calmed down eh?

pauljholden

Hey, forgot to mention this: Happy Valley issue #2 advance solicitation

Between the flak, the searchlights, the night fighters and the freezing, airless cold at twenty-thousand feet, bombing Germany in midwinter is no joke at all- but with some of the friends he's got, pilot Ken Harding might not even need any enemies. Ken gets to know his crew a little better, as they edge towards the last operation that will complete their tour of duty. One more nightmare flight, and then they can all go home...

http://tinyurl.com/yfaqmw2

-pj