Main Menu

Comics about Romans?

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 February, 2010, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 02 June, 2016, 04:29:20 PM
You should see the stuff George Coleman has been producing Ninth legion Romans vs Picts... on Mars!

Who, what, why, where.... this sounds interesting!

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 June, 2016, 05:33:30 PM
It really is a shame Aquila never tickled you in this sense, any Roman trappings feel like...well, trappings. It's yet to really get down to the meat of the Roman Empire story which could really make for fantastic comics.

Yeah 100% agree with this. Such a shame for a committed Romanophile (which IS a word)

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 June, 2016, 05:33:30 PM
It really is a shame Aquila never tickled you in this sense, any Roman trappings feel like...well,
Wait until you get to Blackhawk on your prog slog though, as early on it was a rather good period comic before going bat shit insane post transition.

Of course the early Roman stuff won't necessarily be in a 2000ad Prog Slog as it appeared in Tornado and it all went sci-fi very quickly very quickly as soon as it hit he Galaxies Greatest. I've read the trade that includes the Tornado stuff with a degree of relish but was a little disappointed if I'm honest.

Michael Knight

Pax Romana is quite cool! Worth a read!  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Michael Knight on 03 June, 2016, 04:55:14 PM
Pax Romana is quite cool! Worth a read!  :)

I didn't think that was actually set in ancient Rome. I thought it was more about how America has used similar assimalation tactics as the Romans. I could be entirely wrong of course.

Colin YNWA

I've long neglected this Thread but a sale of at Comixology made me think of it. The advent of Bandes Dessinees being readily translated and available via the digital market has thrown open the possiblities for tales involving the Roman Empire, or Republic.

A Europe Comics sales currently running has:

Eagles of Rome (5 volumes)
Murena (10 volumes)
Cassio (9 volumes)
Gloria Victis (4 volumes)

I'm in hog heaven... and possible financial ruin! There's a lot of other good stuff there too. New volume of Stern wayhey!

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale?list_id=34973

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.