Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Sauchie on 23 June, 2014, 05:13:15 PM

Michael Fabricant, who can have a wash and shampoo without even being in the same room as his hair.

He has the most apt name, inside and out.

ZenArcade

Sorry to hear about your predicament doc, I really feel for you. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

CrazyFoxMachine

Sorry to hear that Doc - ! Hope things look up for Adrian soon...

Hawkmumbler

Tiplodocus

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 June, 2014, 10:21:18 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 June, 2014, 05:20:27 PM
Does it annoy anyone else that the Grandville Bete Noor spine font not only contrasts with the rest of the series, but doesn't even match ITSELF?! >:(

From Xmas day, 2012:

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 December, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

It's as if they've named the two volumes with this thread in mind. "Mon Amour"- I love its font, it matches. "Bete Noir"? IT DOESN'T EVEN MATCH ITSELF!! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

SBT

SBT (still perturbed everytime I look at the shelf)

I *genuinely* can't see what you are on about.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

JayzusB.Christ

The white border round the letters is narrower on the third book? 
This is very close to OCD territory, I'm afraid.
http://www.dormstormer.com/random/25-things-that-will-piss-off-your-friends-with-ocd
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 June, 2014, 09:32:34 AM
The white border round the letters is narrower on the third book? 
This is very close to OCD territory, I'm afraid.
http://www.dormstormer.com/random/25-things-that-will-piss-off-your-friends-with-ocd

Oh so it is. It looks nicer narrower for the Bete Noir bit (it's a subheading of Grandeville so should be distinguishable).  Either way, it's close enough for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fungus

Suppose...  :)

I'd have thought the sudden capitalisation of E would be far more jarring. It's not like all e's in this typeface are in that form. Probably done for some clever aesthetic reason that is lost on me.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 25 June, 2014, 10:04:50 AM
I'd have thought the sudden capitalisation of E would be far more jarring. It's not like all e's in this typeface are in that form. Probably done for some clever aesthetic reason that is lost on me.

It matches the G:

It wasn't an uncommon typographic flourish in days of yore to oversize and/or capitalise the first and last letter of the main headline of a poster or playbill.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

Aha. I'm all for flourishes and it works well on the cover. The spine alone, not so well. Ta !

Banners

Would love to see a paradioxical comedian...(!)

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 25 June, 2014, 12:11:42 PM
Aha. I'm all for flourishes and it works well on the cover. The spine alone, not so well. Ta !

I'll confess, I'm not a fan of logos on spines — they're rarely designed to work in that context. Pick a nice, clear font. Use it, stick to it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The absolute worst is when they put a picture spread across the spines of a series of books. Then when you take one of the books out to read it, you're constantly distracted by the incomplete picture on your shelf.
You may quote me on that.