Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Spaceghost on 23 January, 2015, 02:43:45 PM
Conversely, enemies are people you've met who turned out to be cunts.

On the plus side, there's always the chance of seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 January, 2015, 02:55:08 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 23 January, 2015, 02:43:45 PM
Conversely, enemies are people you've met who turned out to be cunts.

On the plus side, there's always the chance of seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

Cheers

Jim

It's the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Legendary Shark

An enemy is just a friend you haven't killed yet.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 January, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
What grinds my gears sometimes is how people can be so accidentally ironic without realising it. 

For example, there's a push at my workplace to raise money for the British Heart Foundation (slogan 'Fight for every heartbeat!') with a cake sale.  A FUCKING CAKE SALE!!!!

*facepalm*

Meh, I raised £400 for BHF with a cake sale.

The Legendary Shark

It's not that bizarre - I have a heart (somewhere) and I like cake. A worse idea would be selling Polonium-210 in aid of cancer research.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 January, 2015, 04:26:41 PM
A worse idea would be selling Polonium-210 in aid of cancer research.

Hey, at least you'd be getting it off the premises. 

The Legendary Shark

Well I need to do something with it before my cock drops off.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 January, 2015, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 January, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
What grinds my gears sometimes is how people can be so accidentally ironic without realising it. 

For example, there's a push at my workplace to raise money for the British Heart Foundation (slogan 'Fight for every heartbeat!') with a cake sale.  A FUCKING CAKE SALE!!!!

*facepalm*

Meh, I raised £400 for BHF with a cake sale.

Well, I hope the £400 cured more damage than the cakes caused mate. ;)

Theblazeuk

Yep. Not like I was in a ward for the obese after all. Chocolate and cakes were also easily available 1 minute walk from the building so... better BHF got the cash than Msr Tescos and Cadbury, no?

TordelBack

Yum, never seen hospital food I fancied before!  Cardiology probably has sales targets to meet.

radiator

I'm seeing a lot of Game of Thrones backlash at the moment, largely from 'book purists' who are 'outraged' that the TV show isn't adpating the books verbatim. I tried listening to a (apparently very well-regarded) Song of Ice and Fire podcast the other day and had to switch it off as it was just some gaggle of bitter losers dismissing and mocking the TV show in the snootiest tone imaginable.

I think people often lose objectivity about this kind of thing - do they really expect a film or TV show to literally translate a novel page to screen (and don't they realise how ludicrous that would be in reality)? The naiveté and sense of entitlement that goes along with this kind of mentality really grinds my gears.

While Game of Thrones isn't always 100% successful - I find the interpretation of certain characters and events a little lacklustre - all in all I think it's kind of a remarkable work of adaptation. How they translate these dense novels into propulsive, thematically-rich TV serial instalments, cleverly merging together various storylines and characters while maintaining the key story beats of the books, all the while making a show that is accessible to a broad audience - is an incredible achievement in my book. Doubly so that they can do so on what is a shoestring budget compared to the average Hollywood movie.

The Legendary Shark

I have a friend who thinks the same way about the recent Hobbit films. I asked him if he'd seen them and he didn't half go off on one. He switched the first film off half-way through, gave the DVD away (or sold it, knowing him) and swore never to watch the rest.
"It's not The Hobbit," he said with venom. "It's Peter bloody Jackson's Hobbit!"
"Well, yes," I said, "that's exactly what it is - Peter Jackson's adaptation. If you want Tolkein's Hobbit, read the book again."
You'd have thought they'd made 'Carry on Hobbiting' or 'Confessions of a Hobbit' or something the way he went on. Madness.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Yup. At this point I'm fairly sure that it makes for a happier life understanding that different versions of that thing you love can exist, and that other people can like other versions, without it affecting your own enjoyment of the original one bit.  I'm tempted to broaden this observation to include more serious things, but I'll restrict myself to fanboys...

I have a friend who gets upset at the very existence of the Narnia films, regularly grinding his teeth about the opening bomber scene in TLtWatW and Susan's thing with Caspian.  Yes, many important points were missed and they're not terribly good films, but I read the books to the kids a while back and they don't seem to have changed at all (plus they were capable of enjoying both the books and the films, and seem to understand that they can be different without being wrong).  Notably he hasn't watched Voyage of the Dawn Treader, so we don't have to hear about that one.  An important point, that.

radiator

QuoteI have a friend who thinks the same way about the recent Hobbit films.

Hmmm. I think I agree with your friend there.  :lol:

In fairness I think Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy is a fantastic work of adaptation, but for me his Hobbit movies are so far removed and take far too many liberties with the source material - to the point one could almost argue that they aren't really The Hobbit any more as the narrative and tone is so different. I also frankly just don't think they're very good films in their own right, and that a tale as simple as The Hobbit doesn't really require very much actual adaptation for it to work on screen (in the way something like LotR or GoT do). I'm aware that people like them though so fair enough.

Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, and obviously to a certain extent it's subjective, but my beef was more about people who complain if adaptations are not strictly literal to the books, as in expecting filmmakers to literally use the novel as a shooting script and film everything as is. You hear that a lot about the Harry Potter movies, which I also think are great adaptations that imo should have gone even further in paring down the often convoluted, bloated source material.