Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'll never understand ASoFaI book purists. After the third book, it's not very good, verging on terrible. The events in books four and five could have been done in half a book, so little happens. They're full of dull descriptions of medieval food, clothes and livery which read more like dry lists than actual literature. Overall the plot is excellent but it just gets too meandering. Much like the LotR adaptation, I prefer the TV show. It's more streamlined.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

People who like 50 Shades of Grey and deliberatly misquote it to bolster their none opinion.

von Boom

Quote from: King Pops on 17 February, 2015, 06:09:43 PM
I'll never understand ASoFaI book purists. After the third book, it's not very good, verging on terrible. The events in books four and five could have been done in half a book, so little happens. They're full of dull descriptions of medieval food, clothes and livery which read more like dry lists than actual literature. Overall the plot is excellent but it just gets too meandering. Much like the LotR adaptation, I prefer the TV show. It's more streamlined.

I gave up on the latest book, A Dance with Dragons. Reads with all the interest of a manual of remedial wallpapering instruction. Maybe are complaining because the TV programme (which I've not seen any of) doesn't stop for in depth cookery instruction.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: radiator on 17 February, 2015, 05:07:39 PM
While Game of Thrones isn't always 100% successful - I find the interpretation of certain characters and events a little lacklustre - all in all I think it's kind of a remarkable work of adaptation. How they translate these dense novels into propulsive, thematically-rich TV serial instalments, cleverly merging together various storylines and characters while maintaining the key story beats of the books, all the while making a show that is accessible to a broad audience - is an incredible achievement in my book. Doubly so that they can do so on what is a shoestring budget compared to the average Hollywood movie.

Fully agree and think George RR Martin could learn a few things about narrative bloody focus from the TV folk.

Only things I don't think the TV show pulls off is the wealth of supporting characters and the wider state of the realm, the little stories and bits that you pick up from background information. Beric Dondarrion for example is one of my favourite characters but I don't think many people got the horror/magic of what's happened to him. Likewise no one can really remember who the Mountain is.

Satanist

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 February, 2015, 06:17:19 PM
People who like 50 Shades of Grey and deliberatly misquote it to bolster their none opinion.

Is that pewdiepie? Cause he gets right on my fucking tits!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Whereas I really enjoy the meanderings of the novels, and the view from inside the various characters' heads - especially the insane ones, but struggle to stick with the TV series, which often seems very... colourless. It's an almost unbelievable achievement, bringing such an expansive story to the screen on a TV budget, and I don't mind the changes at all, but I seldom feel that the differences between regions and Houses are strong enough, or that the big settings like Harrenhall, Mereen or Winterfell come across as interesting. The TV sets it's sights on its core characters, and that's fine, but it's the richness of the setting and its more minor players that I find keeps my attention.

So, boring observation, horses for courses.

Link Prime

Quote from: Satanist on 18 February, 2015, 12:52:13 PM

Ha, I thought that was a GIF Hawkmonger made staring himself!

Grugz

I found the books very hard going especially after the war of the kings ,too many characters and secondary folks I kept forgetting who was who, even the" helpful" lists at the back of the houses are bloody well far to strung out
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Satanist on 18 February, 2015, 12:52:13 PM

Honestly, having met him in person and still following him on Twitter, even if you don't get his brand of humor he's still a grade A guy. Really nice chap.

Satanist

If by brand of humour you mean screaming like a dog that caught its dick on barbed wire all the time then no I dont get him at all. He may be lovely in person but in my house he's still a complete and utter bellend!

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Charlie boy

Quote from: Satanist on 18 February, 2015, 04:58:29 PM
If by brand of humour you mean screaming like a dog that caught its dick on barbed wire all the time then no I dont get him at all. He may be lovely in person but in my house he's still a complete and utter bellend!
Don't know who he is but it sounds like the guy really grinds your gears

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Satanist on 18 February, 2015, 04:58:29 PM
but in my house he's still a complete and utter bellend!

I'm one of those in my own house. Not self branded neither.

radiator

QuoteOnly things I don't think the TV show pulls off is the wealth of supporting characters and the wider state of the realm, the little stories and bits that you pick up from background information. Beric Dondarrion for example is one of my favourite characters but I don't think many people got the horror/magic of what's happened to him. Likewise no one can really remember who the Mountain is.

QuoteWhereas I really enjoy the meanderings of the novels, and the view from inside the various characters' heads - especially the insane ones, but struggle to stick with the TV series, which often seems very... colourless. It's an almost unbelievable achievement, bringing such an expansive story to the screen on a TV budget, and I don't mind the changes at all, but I seldom feel that the differences between regions and Houses are strong enough, or that the big settings like Harrenhall, Mereen or Winterfell come across as interesting. The TV sets it's sights on its core characters, and that's fine, but it's the richness of the setting and its more minor players that I find keeps my attention.

So, boring observation, horses for courses.

I'd agree with all these points. Westeros certainly feels much smaller in the show, and that's for a very good reason, as the TV show itself is perpetually on the brink of collapsing under the weight of so many characters (it's also why the TV show is even more laissez faire in it's dispatching of them than the books*). They still struggle with Stannis for example. But narrowing the focus to the core characters and their emotional lives is utterly essential for it to work in the medium of a TV drama. I don't get why people don't understand that.

I actually enjoyed the more recent novels, though Feast was admittedly a bit of a slog at times. I actually found Theon's chapters in Dance some of the most effective and gripping in the entire series. I'd dispute that Martin needs any help with his storytelling (other than perhaps a little editing). Most of the storytelling gaffes in the TV show that get flak come about as a direct result of the aforementioned changes being made.

*I also think it's grossly unfair that people dismiss Martin's unsentimentally with killing off popular characters as 'trolling'. It never feels cheap when he does it, and always seems inevitable and logical in retrospect. He's a master storyteller.

There's a discussion about pewdiepie a few pages back that I started. Personally I think he's a talentless goon. Try to tell myself it's a generational thing, but ultimately decided it's a taste thing - millions of people like Mrs Brown's Boys, and that doesn't make it good comedy.

Theblazeuk

Not to turn this into the Game of Thrones discussion, but he does need an editor. Someone to say "Remember the White Walkers? Why don't you try writing something about them rather than introducing another 10 characters? No George, that's ENOUGH about the ironborn's cousin's uncle. Leave it out."

Stephen King is also someone who needs an editor, badly. His last few books have way too much sprawl, not enough focus.

Richmond Clements

QuoteStephen King is also someone who needs an editor, badly. His last few books have way too much sprawl, not enough focus

I'm struggling through Revival at the moment, and as a huge King fan, I'm wondering what the point of this meandering book is. But I thought Mr Mercedes was superb, tight storytelling.