Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Drivers who don't indicate at roundabouts. I mean, do I wait for you or what? Just give us a clue which direction you're planning to take, ffs - the indicator control's RIGHT THERE next to your effing finger. But I guess that finger's up your damned nose or something you selfish, oblivious, dangerous w*nker.
And, breathe...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2015, 05:11:56 PMthe indicator control's RIGHT THERE next to your effing finger.

also drivers who use the action of turning the wheel to click on their indicators - TOO LATE FUCKERS, we want to know when you're GOING TO turn, not that you are already turning!

The Legendary Shark

Grr, yes. Also, those fools on the motorway who brake and indicate at the same time.
Also, now I'm getting a head of steam up (I had a frustrating drive today, in case anyone's wondering), when did it become the norm to indicate left, after overtaking, to return to the inside lane? You only indicate to overtake, not to pull back in again.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2015, 05:35:24 PM
when did it become the norm to indicate left, after overtaking, to return to the inside lane? You only indicate to overtake, not to pull back in again.

Sorry, I thought that was the correct thing to do.  I'm a firm believer in clearly indicating what you are doing to let other road users know.  Isn't it 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre?'  Granted a lot of the times it is more ... 'manoeuvre, signal, oh shit!' judging by the way some people drive.

Cracking sight joining a dual carriageway on saturday.  Two lanes into one on slip road.  Car in front clearly in a rush but the first of the two cars in the outside lane not so much.  Car behind following and waiting for the opportunity to get clear.  Cut a long story short, sat behind the pair of them watching them running side by side up the slip road and thinking to myself ... "This is going to end in tears and I'm right behind them!"

The Legendary Shark

Heh - a good gap is your friend.
The way I was taught, you indicate to overtake because you're technically changing direction - from the left (cruising lane) to the right (overtaking lane). Once you're safely past, you simply pull back in smoothly without indicating because you're technically now not changing direction but resuming normal direction.
The only reasons to indicate left on a motorway is if you're exiting, pulling onto the hard shoulder or changing lanes in heavy traffic, for example to avoid an obstacle or negotiate contraflow/roadworks etc.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 November, 2015, 05:27:40 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2015, 05:11:56 PMthe indicator control's RIGHT THERE next to your effing finger.

also drivers who use the action of turning the wheel to click on their indicators - TOO LATE FUCKERS, we want to know when you're GOING TO turn, not that you are already turning!

Even worse than them, the ones who use the action of straightening the wheel to click on the indicators for a split second.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2015, 06:08:35 PM
Heh - a good gap is your friend.

And a quick downshift and hit the accelerator!  (unless it's an automatic)

I'm frequently surprised to discover when viewing the specs for new cars that indicators are not, in fact, an optional extra.  <cough> years of driving on British roads had me convinced that not every car came equipped.  Admittedly though, with the exception of Bristol, it is still a saner experience driving in this country than in France.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The worst place I've driven is Jersey.

Windy single lane country roads, mostly with ten to twenty foot trees and shrubs at each side and loads of right angle turns. And the locals are either ancient and doddery, doing 20 mph, or psychos.

It's like driving through a maze on a MC1 gameshow.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 17 November, 2015, 08:02:46 AM

It's like driving through a maze on a MC1 gameshow.
Consider that idea stolen adapted!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

When Americans use Legos as the plural of Lego.

Link Prime

radiator

They pronounce it weirdly too - 'Lay-gos'.

I wouldn't say it grinds my gears as such, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Avacado, which they insist on putting in everything here. I just don't understand how a dollop of bland green sludge is supposed to improve a dish.

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 17 November, 2015, 10:45:35 AM
When Americans use Legos as the plural of Lego.
They have to do something with all the 's's they leave off of maths.

JamesC

When unimaginative teachers select 'Grease' as the school play.

Not only does it contain what is possibly the worst message to give to school children but hearing 12 year olds signing about their 'pussy wagon' is just weird.

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 18 November, 2015, 12:07:17 PM
When unimaginative teachers select 'Grease' as the school play.

Not only does it contain what is possibly the worst message to give to school children but hearing 12 year olds signing about their 'pussy wagon' is just weird.
I had never picked up on the lyrics from Greased Lightning before :-O