Main Menu

Whole load of bits from London MCM - inc new printing of Charley's War

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 October, 2017, 05:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh another one and this one will certainly stir reaction.

Recoloured Halo Jones anyone?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/28/mcmdiamond/

Not sure colour serves this, but might get it into the hands of folks who otherwise wouldn't?

TordelBack

All very interesting (I'll be having some paperback Charley's War, coloured Halo (exception: double splash page) can feck off) but the usual lazy error- and 'controversy'-laden drivel from that site.

Mardroid

Hmm. I've often thought that Halo Jones would benefit from colour.

I know that probably comes across blasphemous on here. Believe me: I'm not saying this to knock Gibson's original art, or black and white art in general. I think the likes of Savage, for example, are great remaining black and white.

It just seem to be a style and story that lends itself to colour in my mind. I think this might be partly due to the lovely pastel tones on the cover, which demonstrates what coloured Gibson Halo Jones, art is like. Also the themes of a girl going out into the universe to explore. The universe should be a colourful place, to my mind, particularly when exploration is a them.

It should be done well, but that goes without saying, really. I saw a rather garish image on facebook from another colourised version which did not look good at all. If that's the colour we get, then please. leave it black and white.

Anyway, apologies if my comments offends anyone. I'm not intending this as a criticism of the original art.

robert_ellis

Can't wait to see Halo in colour. Anything that allows you to re-experience art like that is welcome. I'd love to see more colour strips - Talbot's Nemesis?

TordelBack

You people are sick, sick I tells ya.   ;)

I know this is an old unwinnable fight, just a curious difference in personal preference which isn't worth getting arsey about, and I'm all for Spreading the Word to the non-scrot by Any Means Necessary. 

But I still always feel the need to ask. 

How is retrospective colour helping this:

Or this:

Or this:

These are black and white drawings.  Exquisite black and white drawings.  All colour does is mask the work that Gibson has put into making this world and these characters with pen and brush and black ink.  I don't get it, and I don't think I ever will.

Fungus

Yup. The merciless reissue/repackage schedule continues at Rebellion. Painful days for the completists  :|

I wonder if it's more about breaking further that tempting technicolour US market?

jacob g

Glad to hear about new Charley's Wars since I couldn't afford complete set from Titan.
margaritas ante porcos

Jim_Campbell

As I said on FB, if you don't like the idea of a colour edition, don't buy it. It's not like Rebellion are pulping all the previous versions or coming round people's houses and removing them from bookshelves!

The simple fact is: there's a non-trivial chunk of the comic-buying market that won't buy B&W comics. As utterly baffling as that fact is to me, if colouring it gets a bunch of people to buy a fantastic comic they wouldn't otherwise have bought, I have no problem with that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Completely agree - if it gets more amazing comics into hitherto unsuspecting hands, and a few more dinari into Rebellion's coffers, I'm all for it.  But I still don't understand it, at all: artistic vandalism.

Swerty

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

It's not a new thing that someone mistakes wondrous black and white comics for a colouring book, but it is unfortunate that Rebellion has now decided this is fine. Tordelback's phrase "artistic vandalism" is entirely accurate.

What's more concerning is that they might have got the DC bug and decided that trashing Alan Moore's back catalogue leads to fun and profit.

I will be taking Jim's advice and not buying it. Hopefully, that's the over-riding reaction. Besides, anyone who does hold the ridiculous view that they will only read colour comics is not going to appreciate Halo Jones.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 29 October, 2017, 03:28:58 PM
It's not a new thing that someone mistakes wondrous black and white comics for a colouring book, but it is unfortunate that Rebellion has now decided this is fine. Tordelback's phrase "artistic vandalism" is entirely accurate.

Besides, anyone who does hold the ridiculous view that they will only read colour comics is not going to appreciate Halo Jones.

Utter bollocks. It's not like they're taking a set of magic markers to the original art... it's a book you don't have to buy that has zero effect on the original version. If a coloured version brings new readers, what possible harm could that do? How you can possibly know who will or won't appreciate Halo Jones?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 October, 2017, 03:49:09 PM
it's a book you don't have to buy that has zero effect on the original version.

And you could say the exact same thing about Before Watchmen.