Main Menu

Prog 2119 - Cops and Robos

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 16 February, 2019, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Cover is by Luke Preece and looks great, although there may be some chat about Dredd's back armour.

Machine Law continues to drop bombshells on us.

And we find out more about why Jaegir is in the Bonegrinder.

Plus 6 letters for the Beast.

Richard

Richard

I really didn't see that coming though. Wagner continues to surprise us, and to add layers to a story. This is a really big deal.

jabish

Machine Law is just stunning. Pages 3 & 4 are nearly up there with America for me. Script and art just completely at one. Those two pages alone are unreal and then there's the rest of the episode! Bombshells is right. Imagine this was 20 parts long. We can dream. Worth the price of me sub to get to read this on a Saturday when it hits the mat.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

eeek! Won't get my prog to Wednesday as off stravaging... trying not to look at this thread  :-\ :-\
And failing....
DDT did a job on me

Tjm86

Quote from: jabish on 16 February, 2019, 02:50:26 PM
Machine Law is just stunning. Pages 3 & 4 are nearly up there with America for me. Script and art just completely at one.

This really is where Wagner excels isn't it?  The juxtaposition of Dredd and Harvey, the irony of Dredd's position ...  The vignette of Dredd in action on page 3 just hammers home the point with all the subtlety of a TAD.  The ghost of Hershey looming over that final scene, Logan's expression as Dredd leaves ...

So Skipped Tracer really doesn't stand a chance, does it?  Nor does the (potentially quite topical considering this week's news but purely coincidental) Future Shock.  Especially sandwiched as they are between Grey Area and Jeagir.  This is the thing at the moment though, to stand out against some of the established strips at present is a major challenge.

Colin YNWA

Well at least with Brink over there can be no question that Dredd is the run away standout this Prog. Bloodly hell I don't know what took my breathe away more that splash page of Dredd - how the hell is MacNeil getting even better - or the revalation about Hershey. Just two absolutely mind melting moments. The thing is of course its the more thought provoking character stuff surrounding those moment that really rule the roost. The interplay between Dredd and Harvey, the introspection that creates and the intent between Dredd and Logan. Just sublime.

What happens next - at this stage anyone's guess.

Elsewhere Skipster skips on and is steadfastly okay but lacking its lead again.

Grey Area is great but does have a couple of Mark Harrison's storytelling lapses

Jaegir is fantastic.

The Future Shock is of course no replacemnt for Brink but is actually pretty enjoyable. At times the art lacked a sense of defination and depth course by a lack of distinction between layers but its pretty good and that issue can be worked on. The story simple but fun so not a bad effort.

So there's some good stuff in there but CHRIST ON A BIKE nothing is getting close to Dredd is it!

SIP

Quote from: jabish on 16 February, 2019, 02:50:26 PM
Machine Law is just stunning. Pages 3 & 4 are nearly up there with America for me. Script and art just completely at one. Those two pages alone are unreal and then there's the rest of the episode! Bombshells is right. Imagine this was 20 parts long. We can dream. Worth the price of me sub to get to read this on a Saturday when it hits the mat.

Alas, the price of my sub didn't make it hit the mat on Saturday.

Magnetica

Absolutely awesome episode of Dredd.

73north

agreed Dredd when written by Wagner is superb  , and Grey Area was pretty great as well
I also liked the Future Shock , and Skip Tracer was not too bad , but for me , the highlight is still Jaegir
with the revelation of why Atalia was allowed to enter the equivalent of the
1944 Korsun / Cherkassy Pocket was breathtaking , the art by Simon Coleby is just superb - and Gordon Rennie is having a blast writing this |Future War story , 
I just wish we could have a Strontium Dog Story in the near future , but I guess
the Fanzine DogBreath is the only outlet for me .

Magnetica

The ending of the Future Shock didn't seem like much of a twist to me...or maybe I just being thick?

Bolt-01

FShocks are horrendously tough on new writers. Personally I liked the twist on this one, but I think a slightly different route to it might have worked better.

Of course I'm not Tharg, so I'm not about to tell Him His job.

Elsewhere Dredd is just superb- I love to see Colin working on Dredd- it really feels like he's at his absolute best in that setting and he does not dissappoint. I'm curious as to the long term 'tweaks' this adds to the series as a whole and wonder if John [spoiler]is building to a final story for Hershey in light of the revelation.[/spoiler]- strip spoiler- you have been warned.

Really like the idea of the cover, but think that the Mech should be 'much' bigger.

Woolly

Dredd is currently as good as it's ever been.
I am also very pleased that the Macneil droid is giving Dredd chunkier boots. That single page splash nearly made me splash the single page!  :o