Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

They're trying to be upmarket rather than fun or good value.
STRIKE !!!

Banners

Josh Rouse has a new EP out, but it's only available as a download.

M@

SuperSurfer

I get really wound up when people, despite having no interest in jazz (or might own just one jazz album at most – usually a compilation album) include jazz as one of their interests on their CV. I think they hope it is making them look cool and sophisticated. I did ask a friend once what jazz he likes after just having seen his CV and he had no answer. And I recently saw a relative's message on some dating website (I was being nosey) and she includes jazz when I know for a fact she has no interest in it.

Mike Gloady

The moronic bus driver slammed the doors on me as I attempted to exit.  Sticking me between them.  First I, and then otehr passengers, attempted to call out and bring his attention to the fact I was stuck.  He then closed it properly and continued to ignore me. 

My ringing the bell was the only reason he stopped in the first place.  He then decided to tell me, loudly, that rushing the closing door was dangerous.  He'd only had it open for about the time it took to step forward into it's concertinaing maw. 

I called him a dog-funsterer.  Loudly.  But only AFTER he'd let me the EFF off his device of doom.  Git.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

I find the 16th century legal system very confusing. 

Colin YNWA

I just read a chapter about 17th Century changes in policy and law relating to piracy. 1 century later when dealing with something as exciting as Pirates they still couldn't make it engaging!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just popped to the corner shop to get some mushrooms, the nearest shop was shut, don't know why. I then had to back track past the house to the other one, only to find them with stickers on that said 'display until the 10th'. Jesus Christ is it any wonder people go to the supermarkets, plus they were all sweaty.

The worst bit is I don't eat them, I went out of love for my wife.

Zarjazzer

I have left my new comic of Star Wars Invasion -at work. Who knows what will happen to it.and my copy of Walking Dead a comic i've yet to read a single issue of. And my umbrella.

The police were hovering over Harrow in a copter. is there some mystic, illuminati style connection. I think so.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 October, 2009, 01:34:55 PM
I get really wound up when people, despite having no interest in jazz (or might own just one jazz album at most – usually a compilation album) include jazz as one of their interests on their CV. I think they hope it is making them look cool and sophisticated. I did ask a friend once what jazz he likes after just having seen his CV and he had no answer. And I recently saw a relative's message on some dating website (I was being nosey) and she includes jazz when I know for a fact she has no interest in it.
I think you have misunderstood what a chap means when he describe "Jazz" as an interest. Next time, try asking what his favourite periodicals are.

Actually, I've never encountered anyone who would describe jazz as an interest. If I did, I would refuse to employ them on general principle. The principle being that I abhor jazz music.
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

I dont see what relevence what your musical tastes are when applying for a job.WTF has it got to do with anything ?

Why do employers need to know what school you went to or what your interests are ?

I quite like Jazz but i dont have any in my collection as its an area of music i havent really explored.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 October, 2009, 06:50:39 PM
Actually, I've never encountered anyone who would describe jazz as an interest. If I did, I would refuse to employ them on general principle. The principle being that I abhor jazz music.

I just don't get all this angry, violent hate for jazz. You're so violent in your angry hate for jazz that I'm off, you bitchy negative jazz-hating middle-aged man!

No, I jest.

I don't like jazz very much either. But my wife does, so I'm often forced to listen to it, or to go places where it happens. Most of the time it's perfectly listenable in a sort of muzack sense, but leaves me neither moved nor changed in any way. It seems to exist solely so that old men with ugly instruments have something to do. And so that young men can affect being "strangely distanced from their surroundings, but in a cool, not mental, way".

All that said, Van Morrison is a Living God and I had one of the very best nights of my life on a "jazz cruise" on Lake Windermere last year.

And I like jazz mags.

SBT

Mike Gloady

Zarjazzer,

You're in Harrow?  The borough, nay, the town of my birth.  I'm in Stanmore personally.  Ah, the youngest and BEST Borough of London I think.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

I was walking downhill a couple of days ago with a decent tune stuck in my mind but this was all ruined by some boy racer inching along in traffic beside me with his crap 'music' blaring out of his heap of shit they call a car. Sal from 'Do the right thing came to mind': "No rap, no music, no music, no music." (It wasn't rap but that quote still came to mind.)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 15 October, 2009, 01:37:09 AM
I was walking downhill a couple of days ago with a decent tune stuck in my mind but this was all ruined by some boy racer inching along in traffic beside me with his crap 'music' blaring out of his heap of shit they call a car. Sal from 'Do the right thing came to mind': "No rap, no music, no music, no music." (It wasn't rap but that quote still came to mind.)

SMIC

[Shit Music In Cars]

Thats what i always call it.

I think i heard someone playing Propaganda [80s German ZTT band if anyone doesnt know] and i was amazed because otherwise i have never heard anything any good when its played loud through a car hi-fi .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Oh, I love Propaganda! Great fun. There's my driving music for next week sorted. Today I will be mostly listening to Depeche Mode. Construction Time Again on the way there, Songs of Faith and Devotion on the way back.

Anyway, procession of minor impediments...

Yesterday I worked 20 hours straight through, 07.00 to 03.00, and today I started work at 08.30 and likely won't finish until 19.00; so that's 10 and a half hours. Pay-wise it works out about £9.34 an hour. The trouble is, I can't increase my earnings by working longer hours. Staying up all night to get it done just reduces the hourly rate. The financial incentives to do a good job are not great to nonexistent: it's the pride I take in my work that stops me doing a half-arsed job.

But it's only a minor impediment. Life's pretty good generally, and my mood hasn't been so up in a long while.

9/10  ;D
STRIKE !!!