Main Menu

Prog 1877 - Someone Call a Cop?

Started by JamesC, 12 April, 2014, 10:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggot Lover

Enjoyed this Prog again, Not sure about Sin/Dex but these are new to me so guess I don't the any of the back stories to them.
Dredd, did anyone notice the name of the block the journo lived in?
Very tongue in cheek and I did have a little chortle to it. But for me Jaegir stands out the most in this issue. 
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Proudhuff

Lovely Dredd cover by Ben Willsher. Agreed

Dredd: fortunately I'm finding this slow-burn story top notch, cranking up every week. The secret dangled for so long better be worth it! glad his partner hasn't even raised an eyebrow,(forgive me i was a teenager in the age of John Inman and this is one of the few positives of modern Britian) Dale Winton Underhang!!!  :D

Outlier: In my dottage i still see this as Grey Area II sorry my mistake  :-[

Slaine: Enjoying this, which confuses me further

Sinister Dexter: Really not working for me, but S/D never did after the first tale

Jaegir: the dog's bollocks, story and art hand in hand, works a treat

So three out of Five hits for this subbie with thousands of posts  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Not sure what's going on with Smith's - a  few weeks back they didn't seem to get the Prog in until a few days late, this week it's there on a Tuesday. Which is great. Had to postpone my planned reading of IDW Rogue Trooper on the tube today. :lol:

Anyway as to the Prog, I'll keep it short.

It's all brilliant. It really is on top form right now.

Trout

Tense, tantalising storytelling makes Dredd the best story in this prog. Love it.

I liked Outlier and Jaegir too.

Apestrife

In short, great prog. I get up at 04:20 to catch the train to work, and having one a these once a morning each week really helps :)

I think the recent darker DREDD: MC1 Conf. will end on a more light tone, with some nonsense secret that only could have been big in MC1. I think Dredd's "face it, Styler. You were neve going to keep this under wraps forever." is hinting towards something anticlimatic.

Slaine keeps on sinking in for me. Never read the character before, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. And I really like the art. The use of colour is mega.

Jaegir feels cool, and the art is good. Will probably wait and read this in on go when it's finished.

Outlier was entertaining, but not much more. "Fracka Fracka Boom", dudes in strange sun glasses piloting jets and stuff.

Sinister Dexter, nah. Not really ma thang.

Keef Monkey

Cover is fantastic, Ben Wilsher is one of my favourite Dredd artist these days.

Dredd - I've not minded the slow pace, I think it's been building nicely. I too think it's going to be something light-hearted when revealed. Whatever it turns out to be it'd better be a pretty great punchline after keeping it dangling for weeks!

Outlier - Enjoying this, really like the art (the action shots looked great this week) and enjoying the weapons and tech that got wheeled out in this episode.

Slaine - Still not getting into the story (and haven't for many years with Slaine if I'm honest) but the artwork makes it a real treat. It looks absolutely incredible so I'm not really that bothered if I'm following the plot anymore.

Sin/Dex - Usually a big fan of this, but this run is leaving me a bit cold. I think it might be the artwork, it's good and I've enjoyed the artist on other strips, I just think (and it's a personal taste thing) that it doesn't fit with how I expect a Sin/Dex strip to look. There's a wee handful of artists I really like on the strip, maybe I'm just resistant to change!

Jaegir - Thrill of the week again for about the 4th week running. I just love the atmosphere and the look of it, and the way this episode ends I'm itching for next week where it's all clearly going to hit the fan in a big way.

As far as subscribers not enjoying the whole prog, I've subbed for years and years and while I have the occasional week where I'm maybe not feeling it too much, there's always been something I've enjoyed. When it's cover to cover strips that I like that's awesome, but even at its 'worst' there's only ever one (maybe two at a push) strips I'm not fussed about. Even then it's not that I actively dislike them, they just maybe leave me a bit cold.

I too think that since Rebellion took it over it's gone from strength to strength and rose tinted specs aside I don't think it's ever been as consistently great as it is these days. I love 2000AD, I really do, have done since I was a child. The fact that, at 33 years old, when an issue is released I still get excited to crack it open is quite something. I tend to read them on my lunch break at work now and it really makes my day it does.

Grobbendonk

Dredd is the standout strip for me this week. From the action packed cover, to the slow burn story. Loving it!. My only niggle is (as others have also noted) this doesn't feel post Day of Chaos. No nods to the dire state MC1 must be in and the very few outside views we get seem to show an unscathed city. If I put this to one side though, this is awesome Dredd - we're getting some nice insights into his character and that of the Judge system. Can't decide if I want this to turn out be all about horrendous human rights abuse, or something utterly silly. If handled right (and this is Wagner after all), either would be great :)

As for the rest -

Both Outlier and Slaine lost me a bit this week. Still enjoyable though. Both were possibly marred by the lack of double page spread in my e copy. This is really starting to grate now. Flicking back and forth just doesn't give the impact the artists intended :( I get my copy from Clickwheel - is this also an issue direct from 2000AD, or on the iPad?
Going to investigate if my reader can stitch the pages together - or if not, if there are others that can.

Really enjoyed Sinister Dexter, nice to see them need rescuing. But it's all gone wrong again! Hurrah for that :)

Nice change of pace in Jaegir. Lots of character development. Despite it being quite wordy and heavy on the exposition, it didn't feel like an unnatural pause to me.

As to the wider discussion - I'm a subscriber. Used to get it by post. Then stopped (still kicking myself for that) around Prog 1030. Restarted via digital subscription about 2 years ago. I generally love the Prog, and even when it feels weak I still look forward to next week because I pretty much know I'll love it again. 38 years old and still excited by a weekly Sci-fi anthology! Tharg must be doing something right :)

Thinking of jumping back on the Meg soon - does it have regular easy jump on points like 200AD I wonder?

ZenArcade

Good prog.
Dredd: great mood piece.
Outlier: good general issue prog filler.
Slaine: really like this, It's night and day from mos of the past 15 years or more.
S/D: again, just not my bag man.
Jaegir: top class stuff!
Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Verence

One of Jaegir's crew being a "Filth Columnist" is no doubt a nod of sorts to the character of Sister Sledge from the Rogue Trooper story "All Hell on the Dix-I Front"

Frank

Quote from: Grobbendonk on 16 April, 2014, 03:39:13 PM
this is awesome Dredd - we're getting some nice insights into his character and that of the Judge system. Can't decide if I want this to turn out be all about horrendous human rights abuse, or something utterly silly. If handled right

The tone definitely lightened this week, with a fair bit of sniggering about bums and big lads' jokes about back-ticklers, so I can see why some folk assume that's setting Blixen's broadcast up for some bathos, rather than pathos. That would be forgetting that the most significant plot development in the strip's history, leading to the death of millions, revolves around the actions of a mental patient in his underwear, who thinks he's being attacked by pineapple people. John Wagner can turn from epic tragedy to the most absurd comedy, and back again, in fewer panels than it takes most writers to set up a shower scene.

Dredd's ambivalence towards Styler and Section 7 seem like they're going to prove more important to the story than the specific nature of The Secret, to me.

ZenArcade

True, Old Joe looked none too fond of the whole Section 7 deal in the prog....but the Law's the Law.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Judge Olde

Dredd, I like this, though I'm still adjusting to the droids revamped style (enough faded in/out Judges standing in back grounds for now, thanks). I hope someone wakes up in a shower somewhere & DOC was just a baddream ;) I don't think this is going to have a light fluffy ending though, after all [spoiler]the chaps fled MC1 because he knows what he knows & fears the law![/spoiler].

Slaine, the art droid isn't doing it for me. But it's nice to see different droids doing different things.

Sinister/Dexter, oh grud, I disliked them pretty much since they filled the prog & then didn't go away. Now back & the art is worse than ever. I really had hoped that they'd had their day/week/year/decade & gone away.

Muon

Quote from: Grobbendonk on 16 April, 2014, 03:39:13 PM

Both Outlier and Slaine lost me a bit this week. Still enjoyable though. Both were possibly marred by the lack of double page spread in my e copy. This is really starting to grate now. Flicking back and forth just doesn't give the impact the artists intended :( I get my copy from Clickwheel - is this also an issue direct from 2000AD, or on the iPad?
Going to investigate if my reader can stitch the pages together - or if not, if there are others that can.

I'm a digital subscriber too and I noticed the issue you mention. It frustrated me a little at first but when I turned my ipad around and looked at it "landscape" style, the two pages flipped around automatically and I could see the whole thing. The art was obviously a little smaller than intended but I combined looking at it that way with zooming in on the normal viewing mode and that worked fine.

I have to say I'm loving the digital format. I bought an ipad especially so I could read 2000 AD ;)

Satanist

I dont review the prog that often as it hasnt really been thrilling me for a while now so thought I should pipe up.

Everything cept Sin/Dex is crackling along nicely. And Sin/Dex isnt bad its just there.

Also Im loving this Dredds slow burn as it doesnt always have to be Bang-Bang...Must...reach...bootknife!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

judgerufian

Curious that some people are directly tying in the cover (which is really good and eye catching) to the present Dredd story, to me its unrelated and just a cool image on the cover similar to the recent-ish Cliff Robinson covers.

Dredd - After having had my appetite whetted for another week, its even more curious to see what Section 7 is all about and for me the most telling thing was the fact that Dredd doesnt seem too supportive of what this shadowdy section of the Justice Dept is doing. Anyway looking forward to Max Blixen's big reveal next week. Another chuckle vote for Dale Whiton Underhang!

Outlier - Nice to have the tables turned on the main character, goodie or baddie? Undecided so far! Liked the double page spread and the pace of this week after two very quick 'I visit you and youre dead' weeks.

Slaine - The art has started to click with me but the story hasnt. I'm even having trouble working out which 'time' this is in ie is it Slaines most recent adventure or a flashback?

Sinister/Dexter - Enjoyable but still feels like the story is another run of the mill jolly jape for our unkillable gun-sharks. C-bomb should have learnt to not make a betraying phone call IN THE NEXT ROOM to where all his mates are...blimey.

Jaegir - Really like this, its building up well and the cast is a good one. I do miss the Nu-Earth setting though as it was quite a unique arena for future war.

Even though I dont have thousands of posts, I am a long time reader and subscriber and even a bad 2000ad is better than most other comics I read so more power to it. I love receiving it on Saturday and usually read it immediately!