Main Menu

Talking of Old School Board Games...does anyone remember...

Started by Beeks, 06 April, 2011, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

vzzbux

Quote from: Beeks on 06 April, 2011, 04:23:02 PM
Crossbows and Catapults anyone?

Had hours of fun with this game too  :D

My son has the up to date versions of this and it is still arsom.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

Dark Tower? Now you're talking. There's a set of this in a cupboard at my mum's somewhere.

Haggle for warriors! Bazaar closed.  :(
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beeks on 06 April, 2011, 05:44:59 PM
Quote from: exilewood on 06 April, 2011, 05:38:42 PM
I loved Escape From Colditz - but ours looked NOTHING like that!

like this -

WTF is that?! Looks like a completely different game! Dodgy rip off if you ask me  ;)

That's the SS Black Sun occult version: Escape from Wewelsburg

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I played Escape from Colditz, once, in installments, at a youth club, for an entire year, and never finished the damned thing.

Did you ever play that Star Trek: The Next Generation Board game that came with a video? Good times.
Dug that out a couple of years ago, made a fun drinking game.
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

There were in fact two different games, the original from Invicta: Escape from Colditz Castle- there was a 3D model version too.

and the later Parker Bros version: Escape from Colditz -sonsored by one of the original escapees.

mygrimmbrother

worldshown

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 April, 2011, 04:42:40 PM
There was also one that involved customising cars with armour and machine guns etc - the "pieces" were just cards about 3"x5" showing the outline of your car, on which you placed various upgrades as you bought them. Don't think there was a board as such. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

That's screaming "Battlecars" to me. Never played the boardgame but I had the ZX Spectrum computer game of it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2368/battlecars

Beeks

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 April, 2011, 09:07:35 PM
Dark Tower? Now you're talking. There's a set of this in a cupboard at my mum's somewhere.

Haggle for warriors! Bazaar closed.  :(

Seriously you should dig it out..done a little searching online for it and looks like it's exchanging hands for decent money
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Dandontdare

Quote from: worldshown on 06 April, 2011, 10:16:41 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 April, 2011, 04:42:40 PM
There was also one that involved customising cars with armour and machine guns etc - the "pieces" were just cards about 3"x5" showing the outline of your car, on which you placed various upgrades as you bought them. Don't think there was a board as such. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

That's screaming "Battlecars" to me. Never played the boardgame but I had the ZX Spectrum computer game of it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2368/battlecars

Hmm, it's similar, and the box looks very familiar, but I think it was Car Wars I was remembering - but I may also have mixed it up in my mind with the crappy paper cars from the Dredd RPG:

(thanks to the Cellar of Dredd for that image!)

TordelBack

If it was Car Wars, you'll defintely remember the the sub-A5 black plastic snap-shut box it and all its wonderful expansions came in.  The cardboard car tokens were about the size of your fingernail, and while I seem to remember drawing my own 'customisation sheets' rather than using a card template that may be just because we used up any originals...  ah Uncle Albert's Auto Stop and Gunnery Shop Catalogue (2035 ed.), how I miss you.  Stonking game.

Radbacker

I made friends with a kid i didn't particularly like just to play Crossbows and Catipults.
Stratego was another favorite of mine, then i graduated to Axis and Allies (expensive, i had to save up for months to get it).
I loved board games as a kid but was also a big computer game fan which was a bit strange amongst my computer obsessed friends who just didn't get the same thrill as me playing board games.
Of course this all led to the natural progression of getting into Warhammer when i got my own job (like hell my parents could afford that stuff) and i now have a cupboard with thousands of dollars worth of plastic and lead in it that never comes out to play anymore.

CU Radabcker

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: worldshown on 06 April, 2011, 10:16:41 PM

Battlecars was great -- I used to play it a lot at a mate's house. I don't remember ever having anything as involved as the miniatures and buildings shown on your link, mind. What was particularly memorable was a pretty minimalist set of rules that allowed for very fast play and a pleasingly frenetic tone to the action.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mangamax

Ah, they take me back. Fury Of Dracula i'm especially fond of as it was instrumental in getting me together with my now wife.
But, out of all the boardgames from years gone by, nothing touched this:

Pretty cutesy looking at it now, but back then i was morbidly fascinated by the artwork.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong