Main Menu

Obliv oh bollocks I'm dead again...

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 04 March, 2014, 02:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Help trapped in Kavatch can't get Martin out.... Keep getting killed by goblins... Stuck at level one....aghhhhh

The Doctor Alt 8

Still keep getting killed.. Gone though Oblivion gate... Gone up tower thingy caueI vaguely remember when Adrian played this on his x box that you had to go onto these things kill everyone and operate/ destroy something in these towers that closes the gate...

There is this uber badie I've just come across that I have no chance of defeating and still at level one...

jackstarr

:lol:

Loving the thread title.

Oblivion is heavily leveled, so it shouldn't matter greatly what level you are when you enter Kvatch.

However, doing this at level one is a pretty crazy thing to do.   This is an issue with the narrative, and the "quickly, quickly" drive that it pushes you to. 

Try and take things slower...hold off on the main quest until you've got a few more items and a few more skills.  It really doesn't make much roleplaying sense that an unskilled level 1 prisoner can defeat the Daedric hordes!

There aren't any goblins in Kvatch - I think you mean Scamps (goblins are mortal creatures from the wilds of the countryside, whereas scamps are daedra from Oblivion who are technically immortal but who can be temporarily defeated by damaging them so much that they are banished back to Oblivion).

Did you speak with Ilend Vonius?  You probably need his assistance to survive the tower.

It might just be that you're not yet ready - if you're still struggling, try heading away from Kvatch and stocking up on armor/enchantments/spells/scrolls etc.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 04 March, 2014, 02:27:39 AM
Help trapped in Kavatch can't get Martin out.... Keep getting killed by goblins... Stuck at level one....aghhhhh

I am waiting for the day when I see a thread of yours that goes "I tried to do a thing and I did it and everything went perfectly and according to plan and there were no problems at all and everything is great"

To be fair you are further than me. I got mine in the last steam sale and so far have played 10 minutes. I was in a jail cell. Then I followed some people. They died. And I fell asleep. So as far as I am concerned my player is hibernating in a tunnel surrounded by dead bodies. I'm sure he will be ok until I decide to play it again.

jackstarr

QuoteSo as far as I am concerned my player is hibernating in a tunnel surrounded by dead bodies. I'm sure he will be ok until I decide to play it again.
:D

My brother-in-law bought the game for the 360 when it first came out.  He got as far as Kvatch, tried unsuccessfully to enter the Oblivion gate, got annoyed and traded the game in.  He hadn't realised that you needed to click on the gate in order to enter it - he'd been walking through the gate from one side to the other dozens of times and thought his game was bugged.  This is the same guy that gave up on Fallout 3 when decided to take on dozens of ghouls in a tunnel and didn't have any ammo or a back-up save to use.   He later realized the error of his ways with both games - he'd been trying to play them both FPS-style.

On the other hand I found Oblivion ridiculously easy and simplistic, particularly coming straight from Morrowind - so I thought just maybe, perhaps, Doc Alt 8 might have a little more luck with this one.

Doc, if you're still in the Oblivion gate, go into your game settings and turn down the difficulty for now.  Kill the enemy you're stuck on, close the gate, and then turn back the difficulty to default and head to a town to stock up on supplies etc.

Don't be rushed by the journal - nothing is actually timed, the only thing that happens is that Oblivion gates "randomly" open in the wilds until you finish the main quest.  Nothing too annoying though.

Go join a guild, or do some random exploring - the main quest will continue to push you until you've finished it - but from a roleplaying point of view try and see it as more of a longer-term objective - realise that you need to get yourself up to spec before you have a decent chance of becoming Champion of Cyrodiil.

Banners

You two should go out for dinner. In Croydon.

The Doctor Alt 8

Did you speak with Ilend Vonius?  You probably need his assistance to survive the tower.

Found him ...

lost lost lost lost.....!

now lost in tower... can't find the thingy to close the gate...
running around like headless chicken.

Professor Bear

Oblivion is easy as piss, I finished it as a level 4 or something low-tier like that, as the level-up system is so dumb I just didn't bother with it.

Play Skyrim instead.  A far better gaming experience, and one of the few RPGs I've gone platinum on.

jackstarr

Quotecan't find the thingy to close the gate...
Do you have the key to the Sigil tower?  If not, you need to find the tower with the Sigil Keeper, kill him and then use that key elsewhere in order to access the Sigil Tower.

QuoteOblivion is easy as piss, I finished it as a level 4 or something low-tier like that, as the level-up system is so dumb I just didn't bother with it.

Play Skyrim instead.  A far better gaming experience, and one of the few RPGs I've gone platinum on.
I think it's worth playing Oblivion first, if only to realise what a gem Skyrim actually is.  Plus, Doc and Steam don't get on, and Skyrim is a Steam-only game on PC.

The Doctor Alt 8

I have the key...

But can't find the sigil keep.....
:o

where's the bloody GPS on this game?

The Doctor Alt 8

Ok my first Oblivion gate closed & the heir safety conduted to the Blades cloud temple.

currently I am on the virtuous blood quest....

I have interrogated the first suspect Roland ? And he claims that his accuser is the real vampire....

Game guide states that my next step is to interrogate the bookseller Philonous? To get him to reveal a location... But the dialogue option is not comming up...

jackstarr

You mean Phintias.  Does he like you?  His disposition towards you needs to be 60+ for the dialogue option to appear.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I gave up on Oblivion after playing for about 10 hours and still being level 1. I found the levelling system to be delberately opaque and, frankly, annoying.
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

Don't use a game guide! Pick a direction and walk - go explore! Much more fun.

jackstarr

I gave up on Oblivion after playing for about 10 hours and still being level 1. I found the levelling system to be delberately opaque and, frankly, annoying.
One word - FCOM.  I can't play unmodded Oblivion, and FCOM is an absolute must in my own game - overhauls leveling, creatures, and pretty much everything else. 

I also throw WAC in there as well, to add some more interesting spawns - I'm a lore freak and most of the spawns don't feel too out of place - although there's a hidden easter egg smurf village with tiny smurfs running around  :o

QuoteDon't use a game guide! Pick a direction and walk - go explore! Much more fun.
I was going to suggest this myself, as that's exactly what I do - using game guides makes things too mechanical - you don't need to do what they say, and failing to complete quests is but a part of the experience - but I think Doc needs a bit of focus, otherwise I can see her wandering around in circles for ages, getting nowhere :P