Main Menu

Obliv oh bollocks I'm dead again...

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 04 March, 2014, 02:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Hay! I only use the guides when I am stuck.... Managed to get an essential book all by myself cause the bloke turned out to be a wimp....

Why aren't these evil tower/ badies lairs clearly signposted ? It must be hell if its your first day as an intern!

The Doctor Alt 8

Oh great... I can't get out of the. Bribe/ coheres / joke admire circle

and I need to do this....

jackstarr

Just watch their facial expressions - there are a few tips on http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Speechcraft#Persuasion_Guide if you haven't seen that already...

The persuasion mini-game really is a bit naff - yet another thing I use a mod to replace with a better system.

QuoteWhy aren't these evil tower/ badies lairs clearly signposted ? It must be hell if its your first day as an intern!
You should try the first two Elder Scrolls games if you think that's bad - the mazes in Arena and Daggerfall are crazy large and confusing.  Luckily there are spells that allow you to pass through the walls - but even then you can get stuck in a dungeon for weeks...

By the way, if you're interested, Bethesda made the first two Elder Scrolls title available as freeware - you can get Arena from http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/Fichiers/ArenaSetup.exe, and Daggerfall from http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/Fichiers/DaggerfallSetup.exe - these versions are already set up to work with modern operating systems, so no faffing around with Dosbox.

The Doctor Alt 8

Interesting....

I bribed that bookseller up to the maximum... using nearly all my money and STILL THE SUBJECT OF VAMPIRES never came up....

I had to re load the game cause I couldn't afford to lose that amount of money for no return....

>:(

The Bissler

I had been out of (computer)gaming for some years and Games of War and Oblivion were the two titles that marked my return!  I absolutely loved it and frankly got hooked on the Xbox for some time thereafter. I put 140 hours into Oblivion, much of which was just wandering around enjoying the scenery. Gorgeous!

The worst thing about the game is the bloody voice actor who sounds like something from an 80's Tunes advert.  That guy needs to find a new career.   

I've since broken my addiction and have been clean for three years.  I daresay if I played Skyrim I'd suffer a full blown relapse.

jackstarr

QuoteI daresay if I played Skyrim I'd suffer a full blown relapse.
Skyrim is far, far better than Oblivion.  It takes the best bits of Morrowind (such as politics, lore, quirky locations) and the best bits of Oblivion (such as immediate combat) and combines them to make an astounding game.

QuoteI had to re load the game cause I couldn't afford to lose that amount of money for no return....
So did you manage to do it in the end, or did you just move on to a different quest?

soggy

I restarted Oblivion recently after playing Skyrim. The place is so green, I keep expecting to be attacked by an irate golfer.

jackstarr

QuoteThe place is so green, I keep expecting to be attacked by an irate golfer.
:lol:

Someone needs to port the golf club from Fallout New Vegas to Oblivion.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: jackstarr on 05 March, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
QuoteI daresay if I played Skyrim I'd suffer a full blown relapse.
Skyrim is far, far better than Oblivion.  It takes the best bits of Morrowind (such as politics, lore, quirky locations) and the best bits of Oblivion (such as immediate combat) and combines them to make an astounding game.

QuoteI had to re load the game cause I couldn't afford to lose that amount of money for no return....
So did you manage to do it in the end, or did you just move on to a different quest?

Figured out that I hadn't been probing enough.... Problem solved!

second oblivion gate sealed.

level 6 acquired....

Mages guild joined  2 recommendations got...

third gate found.... 

jackstarr

So, now you've had a chance to get settled into the game - what are your first impressions compared with Morrowind?

The Doctor Alt 8

The graphics are better... But I could sure use a levitation spell!

currently trying to find another 5 nirnroor.... Found my 3rd Oblivion gate but can't even GET to the tower entrance this time

had to turn back as my only sword is broken...

jackstarr

QuoteI could sure use a levitation spell!
You're out of luck on that one!
NPCs can be heard commenting on the passing of the "levitation act".
Bethesda got rid of levitation because unlike in Morrowind the Oblivion cities are in their own wordspace - so even if you were to be able to levitate above a city you'd see an empty void... :o

Remember Sinderion and his Nirnroot once you've finished his quest - no spoilers, but you'll be seeing him again in Skyrim...

The Bissler

You'll find nimroot scattered along the shores all over the world.  I spend a ridiculous amount of time exploring the world to get 100.  I can't even remember what the benefit of doing that was....  Some sort of potion or something!

The Doctor Alt 8

Oh I got my first ten...

closed another gate...

went up another level...

found another.... Which I have to close before the city will send troops to defend Bruma...

got to get some derdric blood.

relived that in this game I am not being attacked every minute by the local wildlife... But it is a lot harder to make money....

the bloody Blades don't pay...

jackstarr

Huh, I never found money a problem in Oblivion.

But then I did do a lot of alchemy, made a lot of potions and sold them for profit, as well as picking up useless iron weapons and such and selling them on - not a load of money at once, but it all added up.  I also played a much slower game than you - I don't think I even made my way to Kvatch until level 15 or so.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Making_Money