Main Menu

Marvel Superheroes hit Netflix

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 May, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Slightly amazed to see they got [spoiler]Fing Fang Foom[/spoiler] in there...

Steve Green

Finished the series last night.

[spoiler]I don't know - the Punisher arc seemed more satisfying than a lot of the Elektra one.

I've not read any Daredevil, and only the Ennis Punisher.

There were just little things that bugged me.

The plan to steal the ledger hanging on not a single person discovering the bodies in the toilet.

Them *really* not bothering about fingerprints in that plan.

It not dawning on Stick and Murdock that resurrection might be a possibility.

A bit of fuzziness over the Hand wanting Elektra dead, and Stick saving her - then switching positions but not much reason given (admittedly this was a binge watch so may have missed that)

Was the massive hole ever explained?[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Just finished off Daredevil S2 last night, loved it. Never really clicked with Elektra, [spoiler]her character didn't seem particularly sympathetic to me so she was just kind of the nuisance who kept popping up and throwing a spanner in the works. Not sure I ever bought that Matt would ditch his blossoming relationship with Karen or his friendship with Foggy. I did love seeing Foggy come to the realization he's a kickass lawyer, and was nice to see Karen finding her calling too.

The real thrill for me though was the handling of The Punisher, which I thought was superb. Bernthal was fantastic, and he was written as a much more sympathetic character than I expected. As a big Punisher fan (it's the only Marvel comic I've ever really dug deep into) I was absolutely thrilled with his depiction.

On top of that the fight scenes were better than ever (I remember being really impressed with the corridor fight in S1, but within three episodes S2 blows that out the water. That stairway fight is probably the best action scene I've seen in a TV show), and the whole thing looked really stylish (as much as I really enjoyed Jessica Jones I feel like the telly budget is more apparent in that than DD, particularly where the action is concerned).

Very happy with it, and the last scene with Frank had me punching the air, that shot of him walking away from his burning home with the minigun was great and the Micro disc shows they've got some plans for him in the future. Curious to see if he gets his own show or if he'll be popping up in Luke Cage.[/spoiler]

Short version is I really liked it.

Dandontdare

Feeling a bit poorly so took a day off today and just watched the final 4 episodes of DD, and I have to agree with all of the above.

There have been hints throughout both seasons that Karen is going to take a similar route to the comics  :'(. Elektra didn't bug me too much (though I don't think I've ever seen a woman with bigger nostrils!) and the fight sequences are top rate.

The only thing that I thought made no sense at all was [spoiler]Fisk springing Frank out of prison - his plan was to use him and then kill him, but he then witnessed what an unstoppable killing machine he was - even more reason to finish him off, rather than just piss him off and turn him loose.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

[spoiler]I think the Fisk is banking on Frank slaughtering a fair portion of the competition, making it easier for him to take over as kingpin when he gets out.

A bit of a chance, sure, since he has to then deal with Frank too. And I doubt Fisk underestimates him, but he is the kind of character who enjoys a challenge.[/spoiler]

Goaty

[spoiler]Fisk fights with Frank and Matt was great! No kung-fu bullshit, just heavy guy fight! [/spoiler]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 April, 2016, 10:14:36 PM
[spoiler]I think the Fisk is banking on Frank slaughtering a fair portion of the competition, making it easier for him to take over as kingpin when he gets out.

A bit of a chance, sure, since he has to then deal with Frank too. And I doubt Fisk underestimates him, but he is the kind of character who enjoys a challenge.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I disagree. He's the kind of man who plans carefully and takes care to eliminate every threat. To just unleash an incredibly capable loose cannon with every reason to hate him seems totally out of character. I do like how they've kept Fisk so physically dangerous though, rather than just a fat mob-boss[/spoiler]

Mardroid

[spoiler]Oh he is careful, and he plans for sure.

I think this is part of that. He sees Frank as an asset to get his way. I think he might be hoping that Punnisher will clash with Daredevil too, and one will deal with the other just leaving him one to defeat.

Point taken, he'd have that if he'd just killed Frank too, but there would still be the other crimelords.[/spoiler]

Theblazeuk

I also think that prison is making [spoiler]Fisk [/spoiler]a little crazier than before, more villainous. Soon he'll be building Spider Slayers and hiring the Hobgoblin.

Finished it off yesterday, overall I enjoyed it - think the Hand and so on was always going to struggle and they did it well. Less interesting than the Punisher arc and never really came together like they hoped, but good stuff in general and I'm happy to see more weird in Daredevil. Though some of those things were a little extraneous ultimately, like [spoiler]the rescued kids turning all Jerusalem's Lot, and who was in the resurrection chamber when Matt broke into the hideout? I guess maybe all of the Hand's ninjas go through there, Wolverine comic showed they are pretty much all brought back from the dead. Plus Stick's claim to 'screw these amateurs lets get the old gang back together' never really went anywhere[/spoiler].

I enjoyed seeing the Punisher tremendously though and I hope they do at least a 6-part or so series following just Frank Castle being Frank Castle. Lucky none of those cops at the end took a shot whilst he was being Batman though.

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

Great news!

I like the way these series are interlinked creating their own distinct gritty Marvel universe, so lots of scope for team-ups and crossovers - A Trifecta sort of story would be great with Daredevil, Jessica JonesLuke cage and Punisher all pursuing apparently different stories in their own series which then collide in a huge feature length mash-up!

IndigoPrime

We've not yet finished Daredevil (the series is pushing Mrs G to the brink, and I suspect any third series will be solo viewing, if I bother), but it's hard where we're currently at (a few episodes from the end) to see how a Punisher series could work. I've always found Punisher a bit one-note anyway, so having him murder his way through 13 episodes, justifying it because they're bad guys, seems like it could get quite tedious.

Theblazeuk

Supporting characters get caught between the Punisher and his victims :)

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2016, 07:12:07 PM
We've not yet finished Daredevil (the series is pushing Mrs G to the brink, and I suspect any third series will be solo viewing, if I bother), but it's hard where we're currently at (a few episodes from the end) to see how a Punisher series could work. I've always found Punisher a bit one-note anyway, so having him murder his way through 13 episodes, justifying it because they're bad guys, seems like it could get quite tedious.

I know what you mean. I really liked Castle in Daredevil, but I wonder how he would sustain a series devoted just to him, particularly as he was such a central character in those Daredevil episodes in which he appeared. Granted they were just a few, but maybe that in itself is a good thing.

Then again, I haven't read that much Punnisher comic stuff. It could be there are storylines that really keep things fresh for the character.

Let's see how it goes.

Anyone looking forward to the Luke Cage series? I believe that's next.

After seeing him is Jessica Jones, I was kind of... meh. I'm kind of looking forward to it now though, if with reservations. The jacket gag in the trailer at the end of DD2 was amusing, at least.

I would likely have watched it anyway as I like the things they are doing with the Netflix side of the Marvel tv-filmiverse.

Incidentally, as part of Zavvi's recent 2 Blu-ray for £15.99 deal, I took a chance and ordered Agent Carter series 1. I missed it on the telly, but I've read good things on here and elsewhere. I was originally going with Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman. I replaced Antman with Carter although I'll probably catch the former at some point.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 April, 2016, 07:49:41 PMAnyone looking forward to the Luke Cage series? I believe that's next.
Not really, nor Iron Fist, but I'll watch, in the hope they're good. Cage in JJ wasn't that interesting to me; I'm very glad JJ itself was renewed though.

QuoteI took a chance and ordered Agent Carter series 1. I missed it on the telly, but I've read good things on here and elsewhere. I was originally going with Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman. I replaced Antman with Carter although I'll probably catch the former at some point.
To me, Antman felt like a different (and possibly better) film was often struggling to get out. In part, it was clearly hampered by the huge shift during production. Lots of rewrites. Still quite good, though.

Carter wobbles a bit here and there, but I enjoyed the bulk of the two series. I recall the first took its time to get going; the second, bizarrely, had pretty dreadful first and last episodes, but the rest were very good on the whole. Still no word on a third season, annoyingly.