Main Menu

The depictions of Mega-City One

Started by Sandman1, 10 January, 2017, 04:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman1

Do you like the depictions of the city from the two films?

I do not really like any of those depictions. The one from 95 is too... cartoonish and lack those bleak social conditions. And the latest one wandered off too far from the source material and didn't have that interesting futuristic look. But the story Six from Dredd Megazine 221-222 have some nice illustrations of the city.   
Error...

IndigoPrime

The first is amusing in that you can see the same bits of redressed scenery in several scenes, because the redressing wasn't enough. Bits of that movie work, but it's very shiny shiny 1990s. The point about MC-1, bar in the early days, was that it looked like a jewel from the air, but a disaster when you were up close.

The newer one was a lot more 'five minutes into the future', but I liked it a lot. Mind you, I like grimy sci-fi, and Dredd was very much that.

Sandman1

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2017, 05:55:00 PMThe point about MC-1, bar in the early days, was that it looked like a jewel from the air, but a disaster when you were up close.

The newer one was a lot more 'five minutes into the future', but I liked it a lot. Mind you, I like grimy sci-fi, and Dredd was very much that.

Do you have any favourite depiction of the city? 
Error...

IndigoPrime

From the comic? Anything by McMahon or Flint, really.

Sandman1

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 January, 2017, 03:28:38 PM
From the comic? Anything by McMahon or Flint, really.

I'm maybe a bit too inquisitive, but why do you think those depictions stands out from the rest?
Error...

IndigoPrime

Loads of character, and depicting the madness of the future.

Sandman1

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 January, 2017, 12:27:52 PM
Loads of character, and depicting the madness of the future.

Your examples sounds like two interesting ones, so I'm going to look them up.
Error...

Fragminion

JayzusB.Christ

I loved the second one. Not plastic and shiny like the comic version (incredible as the comic version is) but bleak and grey and concrete, with the requisite amount of filthy shanty towns contrasting nicely among the oppressive tower blocks.
I had just come back from six months in Asia when Dredd came out, and I could see the worst parts of both Bangkok and Beijing in MC1. (Hong Kong was more the comic version, while Kuala Lumpur reminded me of DKR Gotham.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Michael Knight

I feel both movie depictions have their respective merits. Do feel with todays special effects the 95 movie would appear even better. Wasn't too gone on Mega City One as depicted in 'Dredd' on first viewing but its definitely grown on me with repeat viewings.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Sandman1 on 11 January, 2017, 03:00:20 PM
Do you have any favourite depiction of the city?

Cam Kennedy. By a mile.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

In the comic, I loved Ron Smith's version. He made the city look massive, with streets half a mile above the ground; he made the interiors of the blocks look massive too. He made the city look bigger and more advanced than any real place that now exists.

Both films have different virtues on this score. I was blown away by the city the first time I saw the 1995 film. But I also like the decaying nightmare of despair depicted in the 2012 one.

Sandman1

Error...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Sandman1 on 08 March, 2017, 10:59:11 PM
Why is it so great?

Because it lives and breathes in a way few artists can capture. It's full of incidental detail and crammed with... stuff that looks strange and mysterious but somehow also looks worn, lived in, but functional. You have no idea what half these things are supposed to do, but you have no doubt that they all do something.

(Thinking about it, I get a similar vibe from D'israeli's MC-1.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Sandman1

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2017, 07:19:19 AMBecause it lives and breathes in a way few artists can capture. It's full of incidental detail and crammed with... stuff that looks strange and mysterious but somehow also looks worn, lived in, but functional. You have no idea what half these things are supposed to do, but you have no doubt that they all do something.

Can you recommend comics with his illustrations?
Error...