Main Menu

(Who rewatches the) Watchmen?

Started by Tiplodocus, 21 July, 2010, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Found myself with 3 hours on my own this morning so rewatched Watchmen on dvd for the first time since cinema.

I rightenjoyed it too.  The first hour is best (I think that approximates to the first two issues). And while it sticks closely, I'm glad it's not slavish to the comic.

Interedting to note that it never attempts to be "real" like, say, Batman Begins.

I don't like the way it feels the need tov explain everything in simplistic termd though. For all the big ideas and density it does rather lead the viewer by the hand at times.

But Malin Ackerman has a great bum.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

I thought the Opening Titles was great, all casting was spot on, and otherwise, it good film to re-watch...

radiator

I got the American Ultimate Cut 5 DVD set a few months ago (the one with all the Black Freighter animation and directors cut material edited in), but haven't since found the 4+ hours needed to watch it.

Maybe this weekend...

Haven't seen the movie since the cinema, but at the time I thought it was a bold failure. Visually it's fantastic and contains some superb sequences (Dr Manhattan origin) but overall its too faithful for its own good so doesn't really hang together as a film, and crucially Snyder misjudges the spirit and tone of the source material - all the gore and splatter they added spoils the film rather than adding to it.

Professor Bear

What Radiator said, and with the addition that the world being threatened by a giant man with a blue cock isn't actually less ridiculous than an epilepsy bomb.

Buddy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 July, 2010, 04:31:19 PM
Found myself with 3 hours on my own this morning so rewatched Watchmen on dvd for the first time since cinema.

I rightenjoyed it too.  The first hour is best (I think that approximates to the first two issues). And while it sticks closely, I'm glad it's not slavish to the comic.

Interedting to note that it never attempts to be "real" like, say, Batman Begins.

I don't like the way it feels the need tov explain everything in simplistic termd though. For all the big ideas and density it does rather lead the viewer by the hand at times.

But Malin Ackerman has a great bum.

The only reason I'll watch it again.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, that was my main gripe, that Snyder seemed to think he had to make it violent and grisly to keep it "mature". He seemed to have misunderstood that its because of the comics themes and characters that its seen as an adult read, not because of the occasionally shocking violence.

I like it, but niggles like that made it a bit frustrating to watch. I dunno if making it longer would fix that, although I did think removing the fate of the original Owl throws away a pivotal part of the whole thing. They definitely could have made more of Ozymandius' quest for physical perfection, as it's not played on enough, and coupled with the fact that every fight scene makes the heroes out to have superstrength means [spoiler]when he catches that bullet[/spoiler] it doesn't actually seem impressive.

I haven't rewatched it, maybe taking it for what it is I'll enjoy it a lot more. On its own merits it is a great movie, and the things he got wrong are only as annoying as they are because he got so much else right (I reckon). Might grab it on blu-ray when I eventually get a player, I'd iomagine it'll look lush.

radiator

Quoteevery fight scene makes the heroes out to have superstrength

Absolutely - things like that made me think the screenwriter or director didn't quite 'get' the original work, as this element was completely at odds with the theme of the comic. The other major error was making all the superheroes into psychos - the impact of Rorschach's very real (and very sad) mental illness is lost because all of the characters in the film behave just as violently and aggresively as he does.

I took particular issue with the massively exaggerated fight that Laurie and Dan have with the street gang in the back alley. In the comic there's almost something quite sweet about it - it's a rumble, a scuffle in which the two heroes rediscover their passion.

In the film it's a disturbing, joyless massacre which destroys any sympathy or affection I had for the two characters who are the warm heart of the graphic novel.

The movie got so much right - the casting is almost perfect, visually it's wonderful and the soundtrack is spot on - but it's nowhere near as effective or interesting as the original material. Well worth a rewatch, though.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 21 July, 2010, 05:47:37 PM

I took particular issue with the massively exaggerated fight that Laurie and Dan have with the street gang in the back alley. In the comic there's almost something quite sweet about it - it's a rumble, a scuffle in which the two heroes rediscover their passion.

In the film it's a disturbing, joyless massacre which destroys any sympathy or affection I had for the two characters who are the warm heart of the graphic novel.

I agree completely. Watchmen is one of Moore's emotionally colder works -- its heart is Dan and Laurie. The point at which they are revealed in the film to be psychotic dilettantes, later reinforced by the "because it'll be more fun" line about breaking into the prison, then the story is gutted. It's a bunch of unlikeable characters going through a bunch of harrowing stuff that happens to recreate a very popular comic visually.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

bluemeanie

It was my 2nd blu-ray purchase and the first time I'd seen the extended version.
Loved it even more and made me wanna give my nice big tv a hug.

Had a big argument with someone about the Dan and Laurie fight scene when it came out.
I thought it really worked as they played it like two people who hadnt had sex in years getting lost in some crazy monkey fucking. It was a total release for both of them and they both seemed a bit "wow, was that us?" at the end. Compare it to the prison fight where they are both lethal but controlled. Theres an almost desperation to them in the alley scene.

Know this is total blasphemy but I think some parts of the movie worked even better than in the graphic novel. And it helped a bit that the character everyone was lusting after thoughout the story didnt look like a drag queen. Gibbons is a genius artist but his women are a little butch

radiator

QuoteI thought it really worked as they played it like two people who hadnt had sex in years getting lost in some crazy monkey fucking. It was a total release for both of them and they both seemed a bit "wow, was that us?" at the end.

Well, yeah, the sexual edge to it is there in the comic - Dan and Laurie exchange looks before turning away and Laurie lights a cigarette. But I thought it worked a hell of a lot better when they weren't snapping people's arms and stabbing people in the head. In the film it just came across as sordid and a bit ridiculous - wouldn't all those bodies attract the cops?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 21 July, 2010, 10:58:16 PM
Dan and Laurie exchange looks before turning away and Laurie lights a cigarette.

"I think it best not to pursue this line of thinking..."

Damn, I loved that whole different-narrative-comments-on-the-action thing that (I think) Watchmen introduced to comics, but boy, it got a bit tiresome when everyone and their mother was copying it.

Cheers!

Jim

Tiplodocus

All valid points - i still think it's not a bad film by a long shot - just not what the best comic ever (tm) deserves.

I would love to have seen a six hour mini series done as well as the first hour was.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

vzzbux

I sat my missus through this over the weekend and she thoroughly enjoyed this. Now she is about to start the GN once she has put down the trash that is the latest instalment of the Twilight saga.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: vzzbux on 22 July, 2010, 11:53:22 PM
I sat my missus through this over the weekend and she thoroughly enjoyed this. Now she is about to start the GN once she has put down the trash that is the latest instalment of the Twilight saga.

... Which makes the whole thing worthwhile, IMO.

Cheers!

Jim

TordelBack

Still haven't seen it.  I'll give it a few more years.