Main Menu

'THE SWEENEY' REMAKE TRAILER RELEASED

Started by Beaky Smoochies, 03 April, 2012, 02:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 April, 2012, 11:09:09 PM
Now my recollection of THE SWEENEY is pretty poor. I obviously remember it as being violent and raunchy but they show it pre-Watershed now.  Was it really some stand out classic character study of cops on the edge? My recall thinks a lads mag, lock stock approach suits it about right.  The fact that I think that's crap says more about me at my age than it does about what I remember of THE SWEENEY was like.
Please, explain why I'm wrong.

You're not wrong about the "lad's mag lock-stock approach", and you're not wrong about the fact it was clearly not a character study piece, it was a raunchy, violent (for 1970's telly), and pretty much gung-ho popcorn entertainment show of the highest order, and it's still the best thing British telly has put out (apart from the classic era of The Bill, before it became a soap opera), in my humble opinion...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Van Dom

Oh that just looks dire. How can even have the gall to release that as a marketing piece. I'll stick with the original I think!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

SKD

That looks terrible, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes looked a lot better (with a tv budget too) and had a better 'Regan'. And the car chase in the trailer just remind me of Top Gear now. (Clarkson and Hammond pretended to be directing the chase on the show.) I don't think I'll even bother watching this when it turns up on telly. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

WhitBloke

Slags.   
What next?  Vinnie Jones as Callan? 
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Devons Daddy

i will go and watch unless the hive mind is truly unimpressed, then i shall get a DVD from a folding table version.

pity really its currently looking less then stellar, such great source material,
but budgets do not always equal poor shows.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

EddieHitler

Maybe in about 30 years or so when we look back on it, it will look a bit retro/classic early 2000's then we will all love it...........not :D

Beaky Smoochies

First review of The Sweeney remake, and it's a good one -

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/-the-sweeney/5043871.article?blocktitle=Latest-Reviews&contentID=1479

- the Guardianisto had a so-called 'review' a couple days back, but was so clearly biased against this film, it ain't worth reading, this is from an American site, so it's interesting to see how they viewed it from both an outsider's and a newcomer's perspective, and they seem to have loved it.  According to the official Facebook page, the full theatrical trailer is coming in the next week or so, so we'll get a better look at it then.  After that somewhat underwhelming teaser trailer a few months back, I was having second thoughts about this, but I'm actually quite optimistic about this now... now "SHAT IT YOU SLAAAG!!!"
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

DoctorDodge

Having watched the trailer...yeaaaaaaaaah. Even with Ray Winstone as Regan, this just doesn't look good. I think the modern day approach just doesn't work. Me and my old man get enjoyment out of the Sweeney because of all the wonderfully dated chainsmoking, heavy drinking, ultra violent coppers of the show. Pure 70s at its best. I'm not really that an 'update' could work.

Quote from: SKD on 06 April, 2012, 08:28:12 PM
That looks terrible, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes looked a lot better (with a tv budget too) and had a better 'Regan'. And the car chase in the trailer just remind me of Top Gear now. (Clarkson and Hammond pretended to be directing the chase on the show.) I don't think I'll even bother watching this when it turns up on telly. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Said perfectly. Life on Mars is one of my favourite shows ever, not only because of the psychological depth of a man not sure whether the world he lives in is even real, but because it combined that with everything that made the Sweeney awesome, chain-smoking coppers and all. That was the true successor of the Sweeney. Not got my hopes up for this one. But then, that's not surprising: it is directed by Nick Love, after all.

Beaky Smoochies

Full theatrical trailer released - http://web.orange.co.uk/p/film/home?package=2047 - still don't know about this one, at least they've removed the terrible blue-grey tint from the teaser trailer, notice it's released in the U.K. and Ireland a mere FIVE days after Dredd, hope it doesn't take away from the latter at the box-office...