Main Menu

New Poll: "MInd the Oranges, Marlon" - Be honest now, did you get the fact that it was a fabulous jo

Started by 2000AD Online, 02 September, 2004, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

"MInd the Oranges, Marlon" - Be honest now, did you get the fact that it was a fabulous joke reference to the oranges in every death scene in the Godfather films?

Link: Click to vote

Oddboy

Now that I know the truth, I feel somewhat let down.

Now it's just some dodgy film-ref gag, where as before it was a beautifully insane random slice of brilliance.

Shame on y'all for bringing this trivia to light.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mr D

I thought everyone got it to be honest... Seems a bit strange otherwise!!

House of Usher

Strange? No, it was marvellous !!!
STRIKE !!!

Wake

Seems a bit strange otherwise

That's what we thought was the point.

Wake

Max Kon

i read it two weeks ago for the first time but now it doesn't seem so good

JayzusB.Christ

I kind of liked it better when I thought it was completely obscure. Still, you can't knock a writer who can tell a joke that takes about twenty years to get: I wouldn't mind, only I knew about the oranges thing in the Godfather ages ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Keef Monkey

Didn't get it as I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies. I know, it's disgraceful and I lose sleep over it but the opportunity to watch them has not yet arisen, hopefully it'll be rectified soon. Just thought it was really bizarre and surreal so thought it was hilarious anyway. The line "Mind the oranges Marlon" will be in my head forever.

Link: PAIGE -my band,check it out if you like rock

Oddboy

(Keef - you need to include the "http://" part of the url in the link box for the link to link properly.)
Better set your phaser to stun.

Moose

and the oranges in every death scene in the godfather weren't scripted, it was down to the set dresser and the cinematographer, who wanted to add a bit of colour to the scenes. allegedly it's pure co-incidence.

Marbles

What ?! Say it ain't so !

The surreal beauty of the whole scene has been destroyed for me now. What was the height of off-the-wall barmy lunacy has been reduced to a cheap movie reference gag. DR & Q reduced to the status of B&K.

I'm aghast.

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Byron Virgo

Wait, this makes no sense!

There aren't oranges in all the death scenes in the Godfather films. We did them at uni, and nothing ever came up about cursed oranges!

Where's the oranges when the guy kills the other Lee Strasburg at the airport in Godfather II? Or when DeNiro kills that guy outside his apartment? Or when the guy from 'The Pope Must Die' gets shot in the eye through his glasses? Or when Michael has his brother-in-law offed by Al Neri?

No, this can't be right.

thrillpowerseeker

Wheres the oranges when Sonny gets it?..

Quirkafleeg

No every death... but they do reoccur in different parts of the trilogy

Keef Monkey

Thanks for the advice Oddboy, not well versed in this interweb thingamy.

Link: http://www.paigeband.com" target="_blank">PAIGE