Main Menu

New Poll: Is Firekind really a "forgotten classic"?

Started by 2000AD Online, 28 February, 2005, 06:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Jared Katooie

Yeah, I guess so. It hasn't received the acclaim it deserves.

longmanshort

I do have ONE question - how come the results of a previous poll add up to 105 per cent?

Yes, dammit! I don't care what your cat had for its breakfast, or what your favorite flavour cup-a-soup is! 21 votes - 27%

No! The internet's a free country, and people should be free to post what they like! 26 votes - 33%

I don't really give a flying spug, and wish everybody would just stop going on about it... 35 votes - 45%
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Noisybast

"I do have ONE question - how come the results of a previous poll add up to 105 per cent? "

2000AD Online: The message board that keeps on giving...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

thinky

you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Trout

My answer to this one is a definite "no".

I did enjoy it - it's lavish and full of good ideas - but I don't really understand why so many people always talk about Firekind as being fantastic.

Being in the 800s, it was something I missed in my Wilderness Years, and I'd always been keen to have a look, as I understood it was fantastic.

However, I was a little underwhelmed, for no good reason. It was just good - and not great.

Firekind certainly doesn't compare with Halo Jones.

Is this a generational thing? I'd be keen to hear opinions on it from boarders in their 20s.

- Trout

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dan Kelly

As I (just) class in my twenties, I will reply to our trout lord ;)

Really do like Firekind, it has a really good alien world, as well as weird tech.  I really don't have a  problem with John Smith's technobabble as it's very rare that he pulls something out of the hat to save the story if it ain't there previously...

Whether it's a classic though, I'm not sure.  One of the better things at the time tho.  

Dan
Reader since 600s

Dunk!

Is Firekind the strip that they managed to miss printing an episode of and no-one noticed?

Didn't read it back then, but, if the above is true, I'm gonna give it a go now just to see how that can be possible.
"Trust we"

Max Kon

I was a bit underwhelmed too. I know why though. It was too short. I'd just got used to all the characters and understood the world when it was bill savage (which i enjoyed greatly).

Trout

Tulkas: well, yes and no. I understand people did notice the omission. It was be pretty disastrous for the story.

Dankell: I think you're spot on with the context issue. So much of that period was so poor - as my own temporary departure shows - that anything quite good would seem terrific.

Still waiting for the Smith fans to turn up and flame me.

Dudley!

Dunk!

I'll give it a go anyway, and if the Smith fans who flame His Royal Fishy One can also highlight which episode i should skip to get the full original experience then that would be nice.
"Trust we"

shazhughes

My idea of a classic is that on a cold winter?s night when you?ve nothing to do and you get the urge to delve through your old Progs they are the stories that you go for.

I?ve read my back Progs in huge chunks or have started at the beginning and worked my way through but on those nights when I go for a specific story ?Firekind? has never once been a story I?ve gone for.

Read it when it appeared, have read as part of rereads and have now got in the Extreme. Liked it then, like it now but as I?ve never had the urge to dig it out it doesn?t go in to my classic category.

Dan Kelly

Alan Barnes mentions in the intro that it is Episode 7, and likens it to missing out something vitally important like Indy escaping the Well of Souls.

Actually, reading back, it makes more sense with 7, than without, however, it just reads like a movie "Jump Cut"

Dan