Main Menu

Nintendo 3DS - anyone got one?

Started by shaolin_monkey, 13 May, 2012, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 April, 2013, 01:10:41 AM
I got Fire Emblem today.  I'm itching to play it right now, but I know if I start now, I'll be playing it until it's time to go to work, and I need to sleep sometime!!   :lol:

I've played through the intro, and it's already a lot of fun, even though the majority of stuff hasn't been unlocked yet.  It's just like the previous Fire Emblem games so far, just a different story and a few tweaks to the mechanics.  I've yet to see how this 'character bonding' thing pans out.

I got Fire Emblem Sacred stones on my 3DS (through the ambassador prog), should I play that before I go for the new Fire emblem? Any reason story wise?

shaolin_monkey

Nah, different stories as far as I can remember. They're all standalone titles I think, they just use the same animation and gameplay.

shaolin_monkey

Anyone got Starfox on 3DS?  It's a cracker, and looks fab in 3D.  It also gives me an excuse to post this:

I'm currently playing a lot of Monster Hunter Ultimate. Grinding materials to slay massive creatures has never been so much fun!

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 May, 2013, 02:26:55 AM
Anyone got Starfox on 3DS?  It's a cracker, and looks fab in 3D.  It also gives me an excuse to post this:

Grade A genius!  :D

radiator

I'm actually considering getting myself a 3DS, especially considering that I might soon have to be flying transatlantically several times a year. I'm also feeling a bit nostalgic for my original DS, and I'm finding that iOS games just aren't scratching that gamer itch.

What's the battery life on them like?

Standard or XL?

And what are the ESSENTIAL games (no fluff, just the really worthwhile ones)?

shaolin_monkey

Oooh, there's a question!  There are so many good ones. 

The recent essentials are:
Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter Ultimate

Previous essentials include:
Mariocart
Super Mario 3D
Tales of the Abyss
Streetfighter
Dead or Alive
Resident Evil Revelations
Starfox

There are a couple I really enjoyed, but others don't consider them essential.  Steel Diver is a lovely little submarine style arcadey kinda game.  You should be able to pick that up cheap these days.

Coming soon we have Animal Crossing and Donkey Kong, both of which are high on my 'must have' list!  That said, I'm struggling to find time to play all the other games I've got first!

Link Prime

Shaolin has it pretty much covered....i'll through 'Ocarina of Time 3D' in there too though (obviously).

And 'New Super Mario Bros 2' is great fun.

shaolin_monkey

Whoops, how could I forget Ocarina?  Oh, and Kid Icarus too!  A superb on rails shooter with cracking graphics and a script that had me laughing as I played.

radiator

I'm a bit out of touch with these things - are Nintendo planning to release an updated 3DS that has the second stick built-in? That add-on looks ludicrous.

And does the XL have shorter battery life than the standard model?

What kind of games are available from the estore? Do they have old Snes/N64 classics?

shaolin_monkey

I don't know about the XL, but the battery life can be a bit pants on the 3DS.  There's ways to limit that - turn off w-fi/streetpass, turn the brightness down, turn the 3D effect off etc etc.

The estore is well stocked with SNES, NES and DS titles.  There's even some Game & Watch stuff (though sadly not Octopus).  Some of the 3DS estore stuff is excellent, including colours, that allows you to create some fab 3D pics (basically imagine 5 layers of painted glass). 

Re the second stick, all games that require it so far have been designed to be used with and without the add-on.  I don't use it personally, and have managed just fine.

shaolin_monkey

Bah, just reread my post - that art ap on the estore is called 'Colors'.  If anyone has it already, look me up - my user is shaolin_monkey. My 3D rendition of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' is amongst the top rated works there, plus I recreated that lovely Bolland 2000AD cover of the four dark judges.

Link Prime

Every spare minute of my time in the past 3 days has been spent playing (the newly released on Eshop) 'Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages' & 'Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons'.
They were the only two Zelda games that ever got by me back in the day, and I was dying for a chance to finally play them.
They don't disappoint. Highly recommended.

shaolin_monkey

Only a fortnight now until Animal Crossing:  A New Leaf.  That game is like crack cocaine - I can't even begin to count the hours wasted on that. Now the kids are all old enough to enjoy it they'll all be getting a copy too - visiting each others towns will be a blast!

shaolin_monkey

Three days until Animal Crossing!!  Can't wait - it's getting rave reviews everywhere, and I already love the series.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/animal-crossing-new-leaf

radiator

I just took the plunge and ordered a 3DS XL - the iOS platform just doesn't scratch that action game itch for me - I need some Mario in my life!

Amazon are doing a deal at the moment where you get New Super Mario Bros. 2 free when you buy the console, so I got:

Black/Silver 3DSXL (was the cheapest model at £140)
New Super Mario Bros. 2
3D Super Mario Land
Star Fox 64 3D (the N64 version being a serious contender for my all-time favourite videogame)
Power Adapter (the 3DSXL doesn't come packed with one)

So all in all, the console plus three games and a charger plus Express Next Day delivery (an extra £9), it all came to £202! Bit of a bargain, I thought.

Details of the deal are here - it expires on Tuesday: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=3DS_vg_hqp_0613?ie=UTF8&docId=1000727133&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=02XRGQZJAEJETW9TKJ9W&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=406626007&pf_rd_i=B008DS948U